U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 03:13 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,069,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Why would you go around telling people how much money you have in your bank account? And why would you entertain anyone who might inquire such a thing?
I believe in honesty and openness, that's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 03:21 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,069,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So what sorts of things do you like to talk about? What games do you like to play?
Well, starting with games. I play all sorts. Cards, chess, backgammon, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble...

As far as what we talk about, we talk about all kinds of different subjects, places we've been, people we've known, things we've done. We talk about current events, or a movie we've seen, or a book we've read. We talk about the stupid commercials they have on TV, we talk about the people who do things like pull into handicapped spots when they're not handicapped. We talk about science and music, where we grew up, our families.

I've recently been talking about Capone and the mob with someone, about how all of the buildings associated with Capone are pretty much gone now. The Lexington Hotel, the warehouse where the St. Valentine's Day massacre occurred. We talk about how we don't care what they want to call it, it's the SEARS Tower, not the Willis. We talk about what foods we prefer to eat, and what we prefer not to have. For example, neither of us drinks coffee. But she doesn't drink anything at all that contains caffeine, whereas I drink sodas for their caffeine.

There's a lot to talk about, if you just take the time to do it.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:10 AM

8,649 posts, read 14,796,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Only if they're a design client.
To base a character assessment based on someones fiduciary status is bourgeois, to say the least.
(Hot damn, I got to use some 50 cent words!)
LOL that's funny....LOL

Old 01-30-2011, 07:12 AM

11,927 posts, read 10,586,551 times
I estimate the value of a person by the quality of his or her relationships.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 AM

4,117 posts, read 4,563,788 times
NOPE! Started dating my other half when we both were waiting tables...fast forward 6 years..started dating again and 6 digits was in the paycheck but was laid off shortly ....fast forward 6 years and now...making less....been there with no money, been there with a lot of money, still here with half of the money...bottom line I didn't care-we love each other to death-and if anyone marries or stays with someone for money you are in for a big suprise-nothing comes free.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:52 AM
miu

16,382 posts, read 33,212,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Well, starting with games. I play all sorts. Cards, chess, backgammon, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble...

As far as what we talk about, we talk about all kinds of different subjects, places we've been, people we've known, things we've done. We talk about current events, or a movie we've seen, or a book we've read. We talk about the stupid commercials they have on TV, we talk about the people who do things like pull into handicapped spots when they're not handicapped. We talk about science and music, where we grew up, our families.

I've recently been talking about Capone and the mob with someone, about how all of the buildings associated with Capone are pretty much gone now. The Lexington Hotel, the warehouse where the St. Valentine's Day massacre occurred. We talk about how we don't care what they want to call it, it's the SEARS Tower, not the Willis. We talk about what foods we prefer to eat, and what we prefer not to have. For example, neither of us drinks coffee. But she doesn't drink anything at all that contains caffeine, whereas I drink sodas for their caffeine.

There's a lot to talk about, if you just take the time to do it.
I haven't played those games since high school. And my H.S. latin teacher did really well in a national Scrabble tournament once. So you just need to find people and women that enjoy playing those games still.

And I also think that you need to find other people and women that get excited about talking about the same topics... like history. I don't like to talk too much about mutual friends and acquaintances, exchanging gossip isn't my style. Discussing tv shows and commercials isn't a topic that needs to be discussed in length. And griping about the wrong people using handicapped parking spaces is sort of odd, unless you have a handicap. But anyway, that's just a one time gripe and observation to make imo.

And what helps spark and fuel a new friendship or romance is the fun of getting to know someone new and interesting and who is different from everyone else you know. And staying at home playing cards or Scrabble is really not intriguing. And watching and talking about a Capone special on the History Channel is not all that fascinating either. But if you were a Scrabble champion or a history buff that discovered something new about Chicago's history, now that would make you special. I feel that the activities you like to do are very passive, free and just a reaction to what's happening in life around you and on your tv set.

I also feel that any friendship will get boring and stale if there isn't any fresh ideas and activities interjected into it periodically. And that's how a long term romantic relationship loses its excitement and magic when it's years of the same thing.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:03 AM

10,009 posts, read 8,666,238 times
Money in an of itself, no. Things people sometimes associate with money e.g. educational attainment yes.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:11 AM

28,906 posts, read 44,929,895 times
Wealth by itself is certainly no measure of character. After all, I've known any number of Trust Fund babies who are worthless individuals, and people with next to nothing whom I count among my friends. A person's worth is not tied to the fatness of their wallet, the car in their garage or anything else.

At the same time, a person who doesn't have his act together in life, who is deeply in debt, who bounces from job to job, and makes generally unwise decisions about his or her financial life is someone whom I view with suspicion. Not because they necessarily lack moral fiber, but because it shows chronic instability that will leach into other areas of life.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,337,471 times
I don't think this is about the value of people with or without money. It seems this is more of an attitude that people with money are shallow because they don't enjoy the same things the OP enjoys.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 AM

19,081 posts, read 21,073,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I also feel that any friendship will get boring and stale if there isn't any fresh ideas and activities interjected into it periodically. And that's how a long term romantic relationship loses its excitement and magic when it's years of the same thing.
Agreed. The theme I'm seeing is mostly dialog about other people; what other people are doing or have done. That certainly has merit, but it's nice to hear about what a friend is actually up to. I have one gf that has been unemployed and stationary for some time now. She just hasn't been doing anything and there isn't much to talk about. We did talk about TV the other night, but it was stale. In the past she would tell me about her cases (she was a surgical tech). She saw all kinds of interesting surgeries and I look forward to hearing about them in the near future (she finally got a job).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or