U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 39,850,667 times
Reputation: 10898

Advertisements

Just wondering.

I admit to not making a lot of money, or having a lot of things. But that doesn't mean that I'm not valuable in my own right. In another forum, I had two posters attacking me for it, and a few posters who were supportive of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2011, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,837 posts, read 76,390,727 times
Reputation: 22814
Well, you've described your lifestyle numerous times. I can't say it's appealing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,221,436 times
Reputation: 15560
Only if they're a design client.
To base a character assessment based on someones fiduciary status is bourgeois, to say the least.
(Hot damn, I got to use some 50 cent words!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Where there is too much snow!
6,076 posts, read 10,636,970 times
Reputation: 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, you've described your lifestyle numerous times. I can't say it's appealing to me.
I like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 05:42 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,082 posts, read 32,968,242 times
Reputation: 14746
Default Do any of you estimate the value of a person by the number in their bank account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Do any of you estimate the value of a person by the number in their bank account?
Do you mean a person as in a friend or a person in terms of a potential romantic partner/life mate? After all, this is the relationship forum.

I don't pick my close friends by the size of their bank account, or how much they make. However, in terms of a potential boyfriend, I would care about his long term life goals and how he manages the money he does make. And the older I get, the more I care about this. Back in my early twenties, how much a boyfriend made or if he was good at saving his money didn't matter all that much to me as I knew I wasn't planning on marriage for a while. But as an older person, I have no interest in dating and having a long term relationship with a man that is content to live paycheck to paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 39,850,667 times
Reputation: 10898
Either, really.

Who a person is ...is a lot more important than how much they make. The people who have taken the time to get to know me realize that. The people who don't are the ones who think women are "gold diggers" and that broke men shouldn't be dating.

My interactions with the women in my life have been more about talking together than about where we were going out. In fact, most times we sat at home and talked, or played games of some sort. It's about spending quality time with another, not how much money you spend on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 05:58 PM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 34,480,643 times
Reputation: 42339
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Either, really.

Who a person is ...is a lot more important than how much they make. The people who have taken the time to get to know me realize that. The people who don't are the ones who think women are "gold diggers" and that broke men shouldn't be dating.

My interactions with the women in my life have been more about talking together than about where we were going out. In fact, most times we sat at home and talked, or played games of some sort. It's about spending quality time with another, not how much money you spend on them.
But you should realize that many women care about things like having money in case of emergencies, or when the both of you will be able to retire ... having some kind of long-term plan. You don't seem to have one besides working until you die or committing suicide if you become ill or disabled. Given your insistence that your girlfriend stay home to keep house, a smart woman is right to worry about her security in the future. Playing cards is nice, but you cannot eat cards.

Your lifestyle doesn't make you a bad person, just the wrong type of person for some women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Ep-
 
2,068 posts, read 3,497,561 times
Reputation: 2410
i dont go around asking and no ones asked me

usually the best dates are more creative ones that dont cost lots. my creative dates normally are more fun then the fancy dinner ones

i dont make a lot but i manage it ok so i can save some each month and build a savings. on top of that i have career goals so i can hopefully make more soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,837 posts, read 76,390,727 times
Reputation: 22814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
i dont go around asking and no ones asked me

usually the best dates are more creative ones that dont cost lots. my creative dates normally are more fun then the fancy dinner ones

i dont make a lot but i manage it ok so i can save some each month and build a savings. on top of that i have career goals so i can hopefully make more soon
The subject here is a lot deeper than stupid "dates," Ep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Ep-
 
2,068 posts, read 3,497,561 times
Reputation: 2410
ya i know that line was mostly in response to his spending qualitiy time together that is important which i agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top