Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:56 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times

Advertisements

Ah, Valentine's Day....age old debate, and I am totally conflicted about it. On the one hand, as one poster stated, if it encourages celebrating love at all then why not, considering all the misery in the world. On the other hand, it's become as commercialized as Christmas and just feels contrived, a cheesy way for those who would profit from it to get into people's wallets.

As far as the argument that men are expected to spend money on women and never the reverse, that's not true anymore. Yes, traditionally that has been the expectation, however, I'm not the only woman I'm sure who has gotten her man a gift. But as ChessieMom stated, I don't get all that overly excited about Valentine's Day. It's a love-hate thing, and has nothing to do with my being single at the moment (ok well not totally single it's complicated).

On the one hand, if you're single, it seems as if you're made to feel inadequate with all the couple and gift-buying talk that goes on. On the other hand, when you're in a relationship, there's so much pressure. What if you haven't been together very long? If you're a female should you get him a present as well? What if the relationship is casual? I have often felt like guys who avoid relationships view it as a big deal to celebrate Valentine's Day at all and won't do it with someone they are not serious about for fear of "misinterpretation," i.e., they think the woman will suddenly have the misconceptiont that the relationship is more serious than it is for the guy. Ridiculous. Can't even have a casual dinner with someone whose company you enjoy on Valentine's Day without it having to represent an event of major significance, or at least that's what a lot of men seem to think.

Overall, the older I get, the more I feel like it's just another annoying holiday. On the other hand, I do think it would be nice if you're involved with someone if they at least acknowledge it and you with at least a card if nothing else to express their appreciation of and fondness and/or caring and/or love for you, it doesn't have to entail some expensive gift. Although I wouldn't totally hate it!! lol..Such a difficult topic!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:57 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
It does not bother me as I am single. Since I don't celebrate this Hallmark holiday, it only bothers me when I am in a relationship. I will not participate.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 AM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
I think valentines day is the stupidest holiday ever. Created to sell trained men more sh*t to women that are trained to think they want it.

I don't need one day to show my lady I love her, I can show her all year!

But really, aren't all holidays like this now? I mean, look at christmas. It's one big excuse to push sales. For some companies it's their highest grossing months!

Old 01-31-2011, 12:58 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Yes and no. I view it as a day to REMIND people to celebrate love, if they can, rather than as THE day to celebrate love. However, I hate it sometimes because it makes me feel really, really awful about being single. It's really stupid but I tend to hole up on Valentine's Day because of this- it couldn't be more painfully obvious to me that being single on V-Day is something people tend to ridicule. Being someone that tends to do most things by myself most of the time, it's not fun walking through the college eatery and seeing all that ****.

I *do* think it's pretty stupid that we HAVE to have a day where we shower someone with affection and gifts (but mostly gifts of some sort) SO CLOSE TO THE HOLIDAY SEASON. As if I don't part with enough of my money lol

Old 01-31-2011, 01:11 AM

346 posts, read 968,184 times
I don't dislike it. I've never really done anything for V-Day either. Had my first relationship when I was 23 (I'm 24 now), and another about a year later. Broke up with both in January.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:27 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
I was single for the longest time and never hated V-day. It was more like a holiday that came around every year that I didn't celebrate (like Hanukkah). So to me it was just another day:P Why get all worked up over one day?

Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,936 times
Valentine's day is all right. It doesn't make me feel bad to see others all lovey-dovey when I'm single. I want to be able to feel good for people, not jealous.

When I'm in a relationship I don't like having to pay a lot of money for flowers and such. My last girlfriend didn't expect me to get flowers, but the one before her expected it. To each their own, I guess. I just prefer to do little things to show affection because I feel like it than feel obligated to do something spectacular for V-day.

In conclusion, it's all about personal preference. Valentine's day is also a good time to meet single girls since they'll go out with their single friends.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:38 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I don't hate because of the same the reason the OP does, but it makes me sad when I'm alone and don't have anyone to spend it with (which is happening again this year, FML)

Old 01-31-2011, 11:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Seriously...everyone I know goes crazy over this holiday, but I don't think there's anything special about the one day that the greeting card companies encourage people to be romantic. I think that if you love someone, you should be romantic as much as possible and show them how important they are every day, not just on this one day.
I agree, but that doesn't mean you can't have a special day for extra lovin' and demonstrations of affection!

No...no reason to hate Valentine's Day.

And pretty much every holiday is about sales more than anything else, including xmas.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:46 AM

158 posts, read 270,356 times
I am married and I hate, hate, hate, hate it with a passion. It is the one day I dread of the entire year. I am not a mushy person but I force myself to by the "appropriate" card to sooth her feelings. Sometimes though I do get the feeling she expected more and we almost get into a fight.

She doesn't realize or appreciate what I do to maintain our life style. Take for instance right now I am in Qatar on the edge of the war zone (I have been there to-Afghanistan) doing the governments bidding keeping computer systems running. The cash from this should prove more than enough that I love her. And yes I have been misseled too to boot.

Valentine's day is just a business opportunity to grab money of of consumers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships