Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:42 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,390,795 times

Advertisements

I'm kinda nervous to post this because I'm not one to be comfortable seeking out advice about such a delicate and vulnerable topic (though I've done it before, but it was scary then too!). That and I'm a very stoic person and I pride myself on facing my troubles gracefully (even with dating).

So putting my pride aside, with the title of the thread, I also just feel a little insecure that I'm stuck living at home for at least another 6 months, but with how school financial aide is going, its looking like it may be at least 10 more months at home . I really feel like its holding me back, but maybe its in my head.

I still do a lot, I'm a full time student for a couple more years, I'm involved with dancing and although I work very minimal hours. I am looking for more work as I can't stand having enough time to even so much as write this post, lol (had an interview this morning!) so its not like I'm bumming around mooching off my mother. I pay all of my bills on my own, just obviously don't have rent to pay right now (been back home for 2 years).

Either way, I took a break because I don't know what it is, but lately I just attract men that I don't find attractive and I feel shallow and mean for turning them down even if they're nice guys. Even with that, I don't have a history of dating the most attractive men, but they all had some kind of spark/charm that the men I turned down definitely lacked. So because I was having strange luck a few months ago, I decided to quit it, but I don't like it and I want to get back out there. I just know I need to do something different this time.

Anyways, I haven't been able to figure out how to change what I attract, but I'm tired of this break and I haven't had a relationship in almost two years and the last date I went on was in May (he was cute, but there was no chemistry). I'm definitely ready for a change. What's a girl to do?? Is it where I'm going? where do I go then? Could it be the friends I have (my friendship circle has been changing drastically)?

That and does it matter if someone is living at home due to finances being tough while that person is out there trying to better their future for the long run (school)? Beyond that, before anyone assumes anything, I don't need a relationship, but I would like one and I definitely feel ready to make things happen but something I was doing before just wasn't working, obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 02:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,952,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Either way, I took a break because I don't know what it is, but lately I just attract men that I don't find attractive.
There's nothing else in Tucson, period.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:49 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,829,517 times
dont think about it so much.... you'll meet the right guy when it's supposed to happen

focus on ur own life!

Old 01-27-2011, 02:55 PM

221 posts, read 335,856 times
Ask guys out /thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,979,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Either way, I took a break because I don't know what it is, but lately I just attract men that I don't find attractive and I feel shallow and mean for turning them down even if they're nice guys. Even with that, I don't have a history of dating the most attractive men, but they all had some kind of spark/charm that the men I turned down definitely lacked. So because I was having strange luck a few months ago, I decided to quit it, but I don't like it and I want to get back out there. I just know I need to do something different this time.

I suggest you become more proactive and start approaching guys you find attractive or charming.

Or

You can wait it out, and just maybe, your luck might change for the better.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:01 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,392,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
There's nothing else in Tucson, period.
That's funny, that's what I was going to ask her: Where are you?

But I'd just like to say that when we are too passive we get only what comes to us; that it's not good to force a square peg into a round hole, so to speak , but when we are just in a wait and see mode we are bound to take hits.

Mir, I think I'd advise you to take a more proactive approach without forcing anything.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,190,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
That's funny, that's what I was going to ask her: Where are you?

But I'd just like to say that when we are too passive we get only what comes to us; that it's not good to force a square peg into a round hole, so to speak , but when we are just in a wait and see mode we are bound to take hits.

Mir, I think I'd advise you to take a more proactive approach without forcing anything.
i'm trying to teach my 25 y/o daughter this exact thing. i highly doubt she'll listen though.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,952,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Oh, I agree, but I'm just familiar with the menu in general... It could be better in her age group, but the place is quite pathetic in this respect. I imported my last ex-husband from out of state...

Old 01-27-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
i'm trying to teach my 25 y/o daughter this exact thing. i highly doubt she'll listen though.
Yeah, I looked at your profile to see your gender. It's hard for us guys to understand, because we in general don't let life come to us. I have a daughter and I am trying to teach her the same thing. She's still a teen and is proactive in her life, in music, school, social to a lesser extent; can't blame her for that; it sure makes a lot less sense. But some guys are like scavengers in this sense; and they are the lowest types. the types that when they sense a weakness they swoop in. To the OP, indecision and lack of a proactive approach leaves you vulnerable to these types. Figure out what kind of guy is best for you, if you would be right for the same type, where you are likely to find him, and then go there and be that until you make that connection. After the physical attraction is there it is easy.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Oh, I agree, but I'm just familiar with the menu in general... It could be better in her age group, but the place is quite pathetic in this respect. I imported my last ex-husband from out of state...
Yeah, Sierra, I've only driven through Arizona, and I'm sure there are state of the art people there, as there are everywhere in this GREAT GREAT LAND , but what are you doing there again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships