Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times

Advertisements

children think life is black and white/ right or wrong. as we get older and grow, we realize that life is more complex than that. we start to become more understanding and realize that there are thousands of reasons why things are the way they are. and most importantly, as we experience things in life, we also become more understanding of people and less judgmental.
you are not wrong, your freind has some growing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
It's actually a sign of maturity. Because few things in life are absolutely right or absolutely wrong. More often, people's actions are a matter of trying to decide between two good things or two bad things. Or between something that is a good short-term action or a good long-term action.

Sure, there are some absolutes. Such as not cheating on your spouse or stealing. But what if a friend comes up to you, tickled pink about her new outfit, and asks, "Do you like my new dress?" Do you say, "Hell no. It looks God awful on you," or do you say, "Hey, looks great!"

Or, as someone else posed on this forum, "Do I ooh and aaah over someone's baby, even if it's ugly?"

In those situations, some rigid moralist might say, "Why it's never a good idea to lie." But is it worth telling the absolute truth and really hurting someone's feelings as a result?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,725 times
If a 'friend' asks you an opinion question and expects the 'correct' answer, and you don't answer the 'correct' way (their way) and they can't at least listen to your opinion, how is that a friendship?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:01 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
In my own personal experience, those who only see things as "black and white" are very narrow minded. I'm a very deep thinker and yes like yourself, I see things in gray. I'm very able to see both sides of any situation and make my own best judgements. I don't ever say something is only one way or another. From what I've experienced, those types who say that are also the ones you can never have a general conversation without them getting aggravated because you're not agreeing that they are right all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships