U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,430,392 times

Advertisements

i would agree that religion is a serious consideration. Definitely keep that in mind.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:48 AM

17,032 posts, read 25,857,025 times
I haven't dated any for significant periods, but the ones I've gone out with were intelligent and articulate...kind of like the white and hispanic women I've dated. But they were 'Westernized'. Haven't dated an 'off the boat' gal.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 AM

5,037 posts, read 5,367,728 times
The one I dated a while back was a Europeanized Indian woman coming from a Nordic country. Needless to say she was gorgeous, and from what I've seen the ones who are 2nd and 3rd generatio immigrants are just the same as other Caucasian women.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:50 AM

2,016 posts, read 2,752,097 times
If you think Indian women are doormats, well, you haven't met my sister in law. She'll put the fear of God to anyone who thinks she's a pushover

Honestly though, I'm married to an Anglo-Indian man. That's a term for an Indian with mix European blood. All of the women in his family are outspoken, modern, and strong-willed. Even his cousin in Calcutta who has never stepped foot in America. I also find Indian women to be more - how should I put it? - 'emancipated' than Pakistani women. It may be due to religious thing, I dunno. I also like Indian men because they're very gentlemenly and chivalrous, well at least the Indian men in my circle are like that

One experience that's still fresh in my mind was when I had a house party a few years ago: I invited my Indian friends and my new neighbor who's a Pakistani woman. The Pakistani woman came to my house first, then her husband followed a bit later (it's just across the road, so very informal). She was sitting down on one of my sofas munching on snacks when her husband arrived, then as soon as she saw her husband, she stood up from her seat to give it to her husband. I thought nothing about it but OMG..! All my Indian friends couldn't help but stare at that gesture which turned into a discussion when the couple left. The men couldn't believe that her husband actually took the seat without second thought as opposed to insisting the wife keeps her seat. The women nodded in agreement with the men.

So there you go.

To the OP: if you're interested in dating an Indian woman, find out if she's a devout Brahman or not. Nothing against Brahmans, but you may have to adjust your eating habit drastically if you're dating a Brahman as they're very, very, strict vegan. I once brought a box of Dunkin Donuts to a house of a Brahman family only to be told they don't eat them because they're made from eggs.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 AM

9,612 posts, read 12,679,139 times
I had a relationship with a Pakistani gal.

She was born in Pakistan, but moved here in her early teens, so she was fairly Americanized.

Every time someone walked by with a dog - even if it was a little purse dog like a Yorkie or a Chihuahua - as soon as she saw it, she'd recoil in terror and yelp.

Needy as all sin. "Can you do this for me?" "Can you help me do this?" "Can you come with me?" Every single little thing, she needed someone to hold her hand all the way through it. Even with job and school applications; she knew how to do it, it was just a combination of laziness and what seemed to be a raised-in fear of doing things on her own or thinking for herself. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this may have been a cultural thing, since every woman in her family was married ASAP and was a housewife. They were all very nice, but it seemed like that was the status quo. She was quite intelligent and understood anything explained to her... she was just really uninquisitive.

Everything had to be designer, or major-label brands, which meant that basically every T-shirt had to say "American Eagle" or "Banana Republic" or something that indicated that it was from a retailer of some prominence. We made frequent trips out to the fashion outlets. And yet, nearly everything she wore was really boring and frumpy... just expensive.

However, she was extremely reliable, honest, and dependable - she would always be there if she said she would be, if she told you she'd do something, she'd do it.

She had a great body - very, very curvy hips and thighs, lean stomach, and 36DD chest. I started pushing her a little more in the direction of buying clothes that made her look hot, without being skanky. Her penchant for needing everything to be designer/high end meant that she had a great collection of lingerie from Victoria's Secret. She was very reserved and modest in public, but as soon as you were alone at home or a hotel, she was nuts. Wow.

It ultimately fizzled because, well, we just didn't have enough in common.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:06 AM

9,612 posts, read 12,679,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
One experience that's still fresh in my mind was when I had a house party a few years ago: I invited my Indian friends and my new neighbor who's a Pakistani woman. The Pakistani woman came to my house first, then her husband followed a bit later (it's just across the road, so very informal). She was sitting down on one of my sofas munching on snacks when her husband arrived, then as soon as she saw her husband, she stood up from her seat to give it to her husband. I thought nothing about it but OMG..! All my Indian friends couldn't help but stare at that gesture which turned into a discussion when the couple left. The men couldn't believe that her husband actually took the seat without second thought as opposed to insisting the wife keeps her seat. The women nodded in agreement with the men.
That sounds pretty similar to what I saw and experienced.

The woman I was with was Muslim, but her family follows Aga Khan, who's a descendent of Mohammed but is very Westernized - he lives in exile in Paris, and his daughter married the (white, Christian) son of the mayor of Dallas (incidentally, 3/4 of her family lives in Dallas). While she's never worn a hijab and restrictions are much more lax in her denomination, there are still some pretty big male/female gaps.

Her brothers all got to the US on amnesty visas due to a feud with another family that had gotten a few male cousins killed and a female cousin raped, and her parents spent years helping her brothers get acclimated as well as the proper credentials (they're a reasonably wealthy family by Pakistani standards). For her, they bought her a plane ticket and sent her packing, so she had to move back to Pakistan and then re-apply for a residency visa, and got no help at all from her family.

Whenever I had dinner with her family, no women would sit down until the men had all sat down, and everyone seemed somewhat surprised when I'd pour tea for the women first or would let her order before me; also, when we were leaving and I got the door of the car for her, some of them looked on with curiosity. Whenever we were out, she would always follow slightly behind me - maybe two feet or so - and if I'd slow down to let her catch up, she'd slow too... same thing happened with all four Vietnamese girls I've been with.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:35 PM

9,329 posts, read 5,545,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I tried to date the daughter of a Pakistani man so I could get perks at their 7-11 store. Is that bad?
Free Big Gulps?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:46 PM

12,671 posts, read 20,381,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
Or maybe just unattracted or bored?
If she was unattracted then why was he dating her in first place?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I tried to date the daughter of a Pakistani man so I could get perks at their 7-11 store. Is that bad?
Good joke. Did you get the free Slushee?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You should stay away from them if they're Muslim because you can get killed and so can they - Muslim women aren't allowed to date much less marry non-Muslims. Hindus and Christians and others are okay depending on how bound they are to tradition and family.
Lol, thats a stereotype. What about the American South Asian Muslims? Not all are very religious. You also do understand that Islam is the fastest growing religion in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or