Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesa Johnston View Post
Thanks, I can appreciate that! I am only going to be an hour away and the kids have a car! We have phones too! Wow! See this is the drama that I am trying to escape from and start fresh. What I am looking for is some advice on explaining this to my youngest son.
Sorry, I know I sounded harsh but reality is your youngest son still needs you. You say your sons want you to be happy but yet are not happy with who you are with. You are contradicting yourself.

I don't know what to tell you but your youngest child will always remember that you pulled out during his hs years.

If I were you, I would wait another year until your son is out of hs and in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 05:00 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep, my parents had a house full of teens (four of us at once), and we had a functional family that talked, enjoyed one another's company, and spent time together (in addition to spending time with friends, in sports and other extracurriculars, going out, etc.). It seems to comes as a shock to some that "teenager" does not necessarily equal "sullen, black-clad, hiding in room, sneaking out windows, and avoiding parents at all costs," or that most teens, in fact, would be distressed with their mother telling them, "Yep, got a new man...moving away with him...I really need to start a new life that doesn't involve you, but you can come visit if you like, even though you don't get along."
When I read about how people say that teens are never home, never talk to them, are in their rooms, etc. I think that that is not my kids. My kids have friends and activities but they bring the friends and activities home and they discuss personal matters with me. I don't know why society thinks that one should not be friendly with their parents or that teens should act a certain way. If you have no relationship with your teen, it is because you put a space there between you and the kid and did not repair the relationship before teen years.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,672,442 times
Get a divorce before you go shack up with the new guy, and make sure he is divorced too. Come on, teach your children by example. What ever happened to common sense?

Old 02-03-2011, 05:43 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,184 times
First off, how long have you been in a relationship with this "new" guy? It doesn't seem like you both have been together for long...so what's the rush in moving in with this guy? Do you really even truly know this guy? Will this relationship even last?...given that there was some infidelity going on. Why hasn't the guy broken off the other relationship already? These are some of the things you really need to think about before you just go moving in with some guy.

Plus, you mentioned that your kids don't care for him. Gee...I wonder why? While you have your head "in the clouds" about this guy, your sons see something that's not right about him. I would definitely ask them why they don't like and what they don't like about him...they may know something that you don't know or see something that you just can't or won't see. Listen to them. If the guy is really bad news, they will tell you and you would be wise to listen and not move in with the man.

Put yourself in your sons' shoes: all they will see is that mom wants to ditch them by dropping them off to their dad's so that she can shack up with her new man. They do want you to be happy, but this is just not the right way to do it! You want a "fresh start"? Move to the new place WITH your sons, minus the new man. In that case, you won't be ditching them. Ditch them and you definitely won't be hearing from them or seeing their future kids for a very long time. Your sons are young enough to still need you. Heck, I'm 22 and I still go to my mom for certain things! 17 and 19 just not considered as "mature" and adult-like age as it was 20 or 30 years ago. They still need their mom for at least a few more years before they completely leave the nest.

I hope you make the most wise and best decision. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:50 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
I am very encouraged by the many responses here that support these two late-teens. These boys still need their mom, even only a few more years. They dont like the new BF..bet there is a good reason. One thing I have learned from experience...sometimes waiting for something you really want is a good thing.

Only you can make this decision..but I urge you..make it with those boys at the front of your decision. They will thank you in years to come.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:02 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,922 times
Leave a note on the door with your fowarding address and tell them not to worry because mom is just a phone call/hour away!! My point... there is no right way to do something that is wrong!!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I guess I missed that chapter in the parenting manual where it said that when your kids get to 17 and above, they don't need you anymore.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey_mcfarren View Post
i guess i missed that chapter in the parenting manual where it said that when your kids get to 17 and above, they don't need you anymore.
+1

Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I guess I missed that chapter in the parenting manual where it said that when your kids get to 17 and above, they don't need you anymore.
Only people who have never HAD a 17 year old would be stupid enough to think that and be supportive of this mom

Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 PM

549 posts, read 1,929,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Without knowing the full details of your life, it sounds pretty selfish if you ask me. You have a responsibility as a mother. Having said that, you are also entitled to your own happiness.
To me it sounds like you're running - fight or flight syndrome.
Are you really entitled to your own happiness once you create another life? Because, in my opinion, you're responsible to look in the best interest of both parties. Not his and not yours... at least not individually.

To me, that line exonerates the deadbeat dads that don't support the kids they helped create.
"I can't have kids in my house. No girl's gonna wanna come over with that kid crying."
"I can't pay child support. I'm working 2 jobs as is (and spending the money on gambling, drugs, and alcohol)."
"I don't visit cuz I can't stand their mother."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships