Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Tone down all that drama, will you?! First, they're adults; second; they have a father, too; third, she's not moving to the Moon!
Oh, boy, Sierra, you're really going to like what I said to her..NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 05:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
I would sit down with your boys and talk to them. Find out why they don't like the new guy. Are their reasons valid? Do you value their judgment?

Ask them how they might feel about you "running away" to live with him in another town and handing them over to their dad. Listen to them and if you care about them, pay attention to their concerns.

If you don't give a crap about them, then take off for greener pastures and tell them you'll see them around!

Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
I don't know the in's and out's of your situation. I don't really like what I am reading so far. Your guy is still in a relationship with someone else? And you are thinking of leaving your kids to be with him? Not good at all.

I think you should be smart about it all the way around. Again, I don't know the particulars of your relationship with this man. But if you really want to be with him and he with you, make sure he is out of that relationship and that it is truly in the rear view mirror before you alter your life, and the lives of your kids, to be with him. Leaving his relationship with you does not entitle him to you leaving your kids to be with him. IF this is what he expects, he does not truly have your best interests in mind.

Your youngest is almost an adult. See him through to graduating high school and his start in what ever direction he chooses to go after that. Then, if you want to move, with or without this man, go.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:24 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,527 times
Your boys are already 17 and 19... Plenty of 17 years olds go off to college, university or the armed forces and are mature enough to handle that... It would be one thing if your kids were 5 years old but these kids are adults...

IMHO, one of the problems in our society here is that we do our utmost to delay the onset of maturity in our kids... In Alberta the age of majority and adulthood is 18. (Legal to drink at 18 too)

If you really want to be picky, wait until the youngest is 18.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:44 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
The OP sounds like a love-crazed-teen. Finish raising your kids, and give the ink time to dry on his unseen divorce papers. What is the hurry?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:50 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Good luck with that.
Yep. What goes around comes around..

Old 02-02-2011, 05:58 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
So....

You will leave home and hearth to join yourself with a man...who is cheating on his SO and, potentially, their children. They will see you as a "homewrecker" at best.

Now, I know that 19 is an adult, but if they're going to college, they need a semi-stable home until 22. I've seen kids really get screwed up during the college years because the home situation collapses into pieces, because the parents thought it was "best" to divorce after Timmy or Samantha graduate HS.

The father is an unknown variable. Is he capable of keeping an eye on the 17 year old, waiting up for him at night, and preparing college applications? Is he capable of guiding the 19 yr old to a meaningful manhood? If he is, they may well be better off.

If you do leave your kids high and dry....well, they pick your nursing home. Can you say: state-funded hell hole?

Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Your boys are already 17 and 19... Plenty of 17 years olds go off to college, university or the armed forces and are mature enough to handle that... It would be one thing if your kids were 5 years old but these kids are adults...

IMHO, one of the problems in our society here is that we do our utmost to delay the onset of maturity in our kids... In Alberta the age of majority and adulthood is 18. (Legal to drink at 18 too)

If you really want to be picky, wait until the youngest is 18.
NO ONE wants their mother to run away from them no matter what age you are, and that's exactly what this lady is doing. That would hurt ANYONE'S feeling, regardless of age.

Second of all, I didn't know any 19 or 17 year olds that were 100% ready to be on their own. The 19 and 17 year old still need guidance, love and support for when they go out into the world and make dunderheaded mistakes like most people do at that age. They need a foundation, a person, on whom they can emotionally rely. They still need their parents, just in a different, more limited way.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
So....

You will leave home and hearth to join yourself with a man...who is cheating on his SO and, potentially, their children. They will see you as a "homewrecker" at best.

Now, I know that 19 is an adult, but if they're going to college, they need a semi-stable home until 22. I've seen kids really get screwed up during the college years because the home situation collapses into pieces, because the parents thought it was "best" to divorce after Timmy or Samantha graduate HS.

The father is an unknown variable. Is he capable of keeping an eye on the 17 year old, waiting up for him at night, and preparing college applications? Is he capable of guiding the 19 yr old to a meaningful manhood? If he is, they may well be better off.

If you do leave your kids high and dry....well, they pick your nursing home. Can you say: state-funded hell hole?
Yes, exactly on all counts.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:30 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,414 times
The truth is you were both cheating and with each other? Cause thats what I get when I read your post....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships