Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:59 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,302,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I don't know who the hell is saying that. People are saying that being a conceited ******* is bad, yes. Nobody is saying that being a doctor = being a conceited ******* though.
I agree with this. Sometimes when I read posts on CD I just shake my head in confusion. Conceited, stuck-up, and cocky are not attributes that most people aspire to have. Confident is something else entirely. Most confident people just are confident in their ability or abilities. They don't have to talk about it or show off. Quiet confidence is very attractive...conceit is a turn-off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 05:16 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,466,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
There is reason why some successful folks are hated. In sports, good players are booed in the opposite team's stadium.

You can still be nice, honest along with other qualities. There is a reason why women go to aholes.
You assume wrong. MOST women do not go for the bad boy but you are not living life, you are living through a TV series or watch reality TV and think it is the real world. It is not. Don't assume about the whole population of certain people just because you might have had 1 bad experience.

What you are seeking, I believe, is confidence not arrogance, conceit and being struck-up. Those qualities will not get you anyone and you will be a very lonely person.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:17 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,640,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I agree with this. Sometimes when I read posts on CD I just shake my head in confusion. Conceited, stuck-up, and cocky are not attributes that most people aspire to have. Confident is something else entirely. Most confident people just are confident in their ability or abilities. They don't have to talk about it or show off. Quiet confidence is very attractive...conceit is a turn-off.
So they shouldn't tell what they are good at or like to do because someone might get offended? There is such a thing as being too quiet and that is NOT confidence. Take the poster who always backs away and never posts any follow ups after someone slaps his or her face. You aren't confident. You are a coward.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 PM

From what I've gathered so far, a great deal of CD posses confidence from the threads I've read! lol

Old 02-06-2011, 06:34 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,671,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
So they shouldn't tell what they are good at or like to do because someone might get offended? There is such a thing as being too quiet and that is NOT confidence. Take the poster who always backs away and never posts any follow ups after someone slaps his or her face. You aren't confident. You are a coward.
Nobody has said there's anything wrong with saying, "I'm rather good at neurosurgery" or "I like to go golfing in Pebble Beach every weekend." Part of what matters is context as well as tone. If someone asks you what you do, of course there's nothing wrong with stating it.

I think you're the one with confidence issues if you're constantly trying to validate your position on an argument that only you are a part of.

And for the... second or third time I believe, NOBODY is saying there's anything wrong with confidence. There IS a difference between being confident and being arrogant/conceited.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Nobody has said there's anything wrong with saying, "I'm rather good at neurosurgery" or "I like to go golfing in Pebble Beach every weekend." Part of what matters is context as well as tone. If someone asks you what you do, of course there's nothing wrong with stating it.

I think you're the one with confidence issues if you're constantly trying to validate your position on an argument that only you are a part of.
No confidence issues here. I am one that makes people jealous though. You learn to live with it. It's not my fault I did everything I could to be good at something. They have the same opportunity and chose not to do it. Don't take it out on me.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:39 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,671,134 times
What do you do, if you don't mind my asking?

Old 02-06-2011, 06:44 PM

Here is a good one for you. Take one of the best looking gals on here. Not only is she good looking, she is very talented or has something special about her. I bet the other gals knife her in the back and hate her. lol

Old 02-06-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
What do you do, if you don't mind my asking?
If I told ya, I'd be bragging! Something not many can. That's all I'm going to share.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:55 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,678,575 times
Acceptance gained from playing a role is counterfeit and empty, OP, you'll never be able to connect with another person if you don't show them who you really are. Your beliefs, your values, your commitments, your inner realities are all reflected in how you live your life. Being authentic is the only way to find love and acceptance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships