U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you find southern accents attractive?
Yes 62 63.92%
No 35 36.08%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 12-02-2011, 07:21 AM

16,243 posts, read 14,777,849 times
Well I am a woman and I have a slight southern accent. When I hear a man with one, I melt. Lovelovelove it.

Not talking Gomer Pile either, just in case you were wondering.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-02-2011, 07:29 AM

5,649 posts, read 9,316,239 times
That's the way a lot of people in good old "So Cal" thought when sometimes I'd say "ya'll". I spent some time in Oklahoma. But, then again, a person with a Southern draw might now be too welcome in Chicago or NYC either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasWritten View Post
To be honest accents in general annoy me lol.

Unread 12-02-2011, 07:32 AM

2,997 posts, read 2,330,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaFolder View Post
I was born in Mississippi. I have a very strong and pronounced southern accent. I have dated and spoken with many men from outside the south who just adored my accent. They say it sounds cute, sugary, sweet, charming, etc.

I am starting to think that men find southern accents attractive in general? What makes them attractive? If you don't like them, why not?

I, for one, am not ashamed of my accent.
I DEFINETLY love a southern accent on a gal ; I just moved to the South from the North and its like im in heaven down here. I find there are a few different southern accents to the South and theres one used by this lady at the Fitness Center that is NOT appealing --- its hard to describe but its a combination of a whiny , high pitched drawl . But thats the only one i dont like. I like a Tennessee accent alot. Theres a specific southern accent ive heard from guys which sounds like they arent opening their mouths wide enough to be understandable...and it comes out in a long monotone deep nasal tone to me ; I honesty cant discern what they are saying . But, there is nothing like a Southern Gal who smiles right at you and pleasantly says : ' How y'all doing ?!' . At that point , she owns me ! lol....

Unread 12-02-2011, 07:58 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,378,112 times
That is great that you are not ashamed of your accent. We should all be comfortable in our own skin.

But honestly, I am not sure that I could ever date anyone with a Southern accent. Generally, I really like accents, particularly foreign (especially European) ones. But there are a few that are like nails on a chalkboard to me. Southern accents top this list.

I'm not sure of the reason. Maybe it is that nasally, drawn out way of speaking. Maybe it conjures up mental stereotypical images of uneducated, inbred, white-trash, bible-thumping rednecks. Maybe because I am not attracted to the stereotypical Southern woman anyways (overweight, overdone make-up, outdated fashion sense, cigarette-smoking, etc.)

But I think mostly it is the difficulty in understanding what the hell they are saying! Not just the accent, but also the terms Southerners use. I can generally understand someone with an accent from the British aisles, Australian, Hispanic, French Canadian, etc. easier than one from the South. It is embarassing, whenever I am down there, having to ask people to repeat what they said.

Unread 12-02-2011, 07:59 AM

12,980 posts, read 17,055,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaFolder View Post
Do men usually find Southern accents attractive?
Nope. Not me. Not saying that women from the south cant be attractive, but the accent is not an "attractive" accent. Its neither attractive or non-attractive its just an accent. It would only be a turnoff if she's wearing a cowboy hat or similar western wear or listens to country music or trys to live the country lifestyle. OMG that is horrible.

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:00 AM

23,497 posts, read 23,066,729 times
It really depends on the accent. Just as there are beautiful English accents and horrible ones, there are large variations in Southern accents, too. There are white trash Southern accents, the equivalent of fingernails on the blackboard. Then there are cultured, educated Southern accents, which are lyrical--the vocal equivalent of silk.

Unread 12-02-2011, 09:09 AM

13,321 posts, read 6,313,025 times
I'm a woman, so I can only comment on men but I do like SOME southern accents and find it very endearing on SOME men.

However, when we moved from NY to NC our movers were from the backwoods of Alabama and I could not understand a thing they said! Even my 2 older children (who were 6 and 5 at the time) asked me if the men were speaking English!

Unread 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,710,279 times
My stepmom is from tenesseee. I love the southern accent, except the word "wash". It always comes out as "warsh". That annoys me, other than that, I love em! I think a lot of midwestern boys would love to have themselves a southern belle

Unread 12-02-2011, 09:29 AM

7,902 posts, read 4,774,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
If a healthy man can listen to a soft,sensual,slow drawl on a Mississippi or Alabama gal and not get at least a little horny,there may be something wrong with him. As a Southerner myself, I am able to distinguish the various regional Southern dialects. A Mississippi gal sounds totally different than a gal from the hills of East Tennessee or Western North Carolina. And they in turn sound different than a Creole beauty from the bayou. If you want a little confusion,have a conversation with a gal from the Ozark or Ouachita Mtns of Missouri and Arkansas! But overall I think Southern women and thier accents are Gods gift to men!
Those Creole girls...oh my.

Unread 12-02-2011, 09:48 AM

8,257 posts, read 10,165,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Those Creole girls...oh my.
"New Orleans ladies. Thin and brown and downright lazy.
Them Creole babies. Thier flair for life will drive you crazy! "
All the way from Bourbon Street to Esplanade.
They sashay by. They sashay by!"

Louisianas LeRoux
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships