Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the label "INTERRACIAL" on interracial relationships be abolished?
Yes the term interracial should be abolished. 11 40.74%
No we need the term interracial. 16 59.26%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
not sure how to word this correctly. i don't want this to be taken the wrong way. i am all for liking, dating, and marrying whoever you want. my question is should popular dating websites have some sort of filter or label that states a member is interested or not in dating persons of other races? i have read on a number of profiles where women and men will put things like "i only like ___race____ guys/gals", which is ok i guess. i'm just thinking there has to be a better, less harsh way to filter out or in people seeking to date people of all races. i mean you can filter out people by height, weight, education, etc., why not race? conversely i think it would also help people who are interested in "fishing" the entire sea find one another without wasting time sending messages to people who aren't attracted to persons outside of their race.
Every website I've ever been a member of or visited allows you to select filters. Match.com, for instance, allows you to search by race and also displays your preferences, so that way, if you're white and only interested in white women (for example), your searches will only bring up white women and even if a woman who was nonwhite were to pull up your profile, they'd see that you were only looking for a white woman. From there, it's their perogative to message you or not, and yours to respond or not.

Okcupid is kind of annoying, you can put your preferences and from there it more or less disregards them.

I've gotten plenty of hits and emails from people I'm not interested in due to a variety of different reasons. I generally just don't respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 12:39 PM

334 posts, read 528,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You don't need a filter.

People already say on their profile that they're only interested in dating "x, y, or z".

If you saw a profile and they said they were only interested in dating people who were of the same sex, would you send them a note? You probably would not.

There's websites for every dating category someone could think of that are specific to those groups.

Catholic dating, Black dating, Jewish dating, Muslim dating, High IQ dating, Mensa dating, find a millionaire dating, etc. And anyone who goes to a "mainstream" match.com or eharmony or whateversingles.com and they get profiles from people they don't want to date, they simply ignore, or reject them.

If I got 500 hits from Martians who wanted to date me and I only wanted to date earthlings I wouldn't be offended and my computer wouldn't blow up. I'd simply ignore the invitations from the Martians and look at the earthlings.

Even if I said I was ONLY interested in Earthlings in my profile and a Martian or two sent me a profile it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
Just out of curiosity... not that I'm opposed to dating earthlings (honest to God, I'm not)... but do you happen to know any dating sites for Martians?

I'm not a planetist or anything. Just wondering.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:42 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe404 View Post
Just out of curiosity... not that I'm opposed to dating earthlings (honest to God, I'm not)... but do you happen to know any dating sites for Martians?

Interplanetarydating.com

or..

youmusthavefoureyes.net

Old 03-14-2011, 12:43 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,335,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
not sure how to word this correctly. i don't want this to be taken the wrong way. i am all for liking, dating, and marrying whoever you want. my question is should popular dating websites have some sort of filter or label that states a member is interested or not in dating persons of other races? i have read on a number of profiles where women and men will put things like "i only like ___race____ guys/gals", which is ok i guess. i'm just thinking there has to be a better, less harsh way to filter out or in people seeking to date people of all races. i mean you can filter out people by height, weight, education, etc., why not race? conversely i think it would also help people who are interested in "fishing" the entire sea find one another without wasting time sending messages to people who aren't attracted to persons outside of their race.
From what I can remember yahoo personal does that and others as well.

Just a checkbox for each race you're interested in... Uhm are you sure you're familiar with the the internet shug?

Old 03-14-2011, 12:46 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:

Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 PM

817 posts, read 810,920 times
Yes it should be included, that way, some people won't go online and waste their time and money, I have had friends go online on websites like eharmony, match.com and so on, only to realize that dating online doesn't work for their particular ethnicities, so I believe it's important for websites to specify whether they have a good chance of success or not if they belong to a particular ethnicity, instead of sucking their wallets.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You don't need a filter.

People already say on their profile that they're only interested in dating "x, y, or z".

If you saw a profile and they said they were only interested in dating people who were of the same sex, would you send them a note? You probably would not.

There's websites for every dating category someone could think of that are specific to those groups.

Catholic dating, Black dating, Jewish dating, Muslim dating, High IQ dating, Mensa dating, find a millionaire dating, etc. And anyone who goes to a "mainstream" match.com or eharmony or whateversingles.com and they get profiles from people they don't want to date, they simply ignore, or reject them.

If I got 500 hits from Martians who wanted to date me and I only wanted to date earthlings I wouldn't be offended and my computer wouldn't blow up. I'd simply ignore the invitations from the Martians and look at the earthlings.

Even if I said I was ONLY interested in Earthlings in my profile and a Martian or two sent me a profile it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
more often then not, they don't list this in the ad. i think it'd be pretty disheartening to go on a dating website, read a profile, and think i'd be a really good match with this guy or gal we have everything in common, only for them to eventually message you back and state that they don't like people who aren't in their race. trust me, it happens. going to a segregated dating website cuts you off from the potential of meeting mr. or mrs. right in the instance that she/he falls outside of that websites target group i.e. (black, jew, asian, millionaire, etc.). i'm just saying what's the harm in having a question like "interested in dating other races; yes/no" in your search settings.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,097 times
Quote:

I'm sure there are such things...Martian to Venusian...Martian to Martian...Venusian to Venusian...inter racial?...inter planetary?...It's all good! Ok so maybe not inter species but everything else...

Old 03-14-2011, 12:50 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
On match you can select the ethnicities you're willing to consider. Aren't the rest of the sites the same?
that's the point. YOU can select the ethnicity you are open to dating when searching but you have no idea if that person has any interest in you with regard to race.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 PM

817 posts, read 810,920 times
If you ask me, Interracial relationships themselves should be abolished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships