Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

I think most employers expect that high school and college kids work inane jobs. My first jobs were data entry and helping out in a bindery. When I graduated high school, I worked in a Mail Boxes Etc. and cleaned offices on the weekend for $6 an hour. And cleaning offices was a 1099 job, meaning I had to pay my own taxes--I learned a nasty lesson then. I probably wound up paying to work there. Then I stopped cleaning offices and worked as a tutor and a dance teacher, while staying with MBE for a while. I made $10 a hour as a tutor ... ooh, the big bucks.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 AM

Sifu, I love Learning to Fly. It's one my favorites.

Edited: Going back to look at 1:29 for the candy.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:48 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
A lot of the bus' now have bike racks. I know someone who rides her bike to bus stop.
That's true. Pretty painful, though. Then again, he's a young guy! And if he wants a car, he'll have to suffer a bit!

He keeps confusing me, though... He said he could afford to buy a 1K car, but can't afford the upkeep, so the issue is not so much how to get to work...

Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
When my parents support me, they make the rules. They tell me I can't have a car. Fair enough

But they should deal with the results of their rules. If they want my job options to be limited, they shouldn't be surprised if I can't get a job after college and they need to support me..
I walked out the door on my 18th birthday and left everything - car and all. I was told good luck, I'd never make it. The car I did get only cost me a couple hundred dollars, but I didn't need it to go far. I lived alone above a store and I had three jobs and two on campus and also did pieces for the newspaper as needed which gave me something for a portfolio. I also got a bicycle. Obsticals will hit you every damn day of your life for the rest of your life and you want to wallow in them then quit complaining, or take some initiative to overcome them. "I'll show you I can do it." is much better revenge....and the person who said I'd never make it after he closed the door behind me, I eventually was put in a position to have to fire him from his job.

Quote:
And I've tried to get a set up where I work full time just over the summer, but it's hard to find an employer willing to do that. They either want you to work full time year round or part time year round

The only jobs I can think of that would let you work full time only over the summer are internships. And we've already been over why internships are hard for me.
I never once took a study hall in high school and graduated a year early and in college I scheduled my classes on two days a week and went to class on those two days from 7:30 a.m to 9:30 pm.or just the mornings and had the afternoon and evenings and weekends free. I also took a few classes available in the summer. That gave me three whole days plus the weekend to work. Your excuses are easy - there is ALWAYS an option if YOU WANT there to be one but it takes effort.

Quote:
But let's say hypothetically I work full time as a cashier this summer and make enough to buy/maintain a car. This upcoming summer will be the summer between my sophomore and junior year. If I worked as a cashier this summer, that would only give me 1 summer of college to get an internship (summer between junior and senior year). And just because you apply doesn't mean you get hired.
You need any work experience and I do mean any work experience to show you can handle responsibility. Forget career related at this point you need simple job responsibilities and doing that while going to school shows initiative and organization and if I could do three jobs going full time you can certainly find a way to do an internship and a crap job for income for a car since everything else is paid for. I didn't have that luxury, I paid for all of it.

Your whole attitude and outlook is simply pathetic - my parents didn't buy me this or that so there - pathetic. So, live in your parents basement for the rest of your life because that seems like what you really want to do. No one here really gives a rats patoot. It's YOUR life.

Last edited by Thursday007; 02-22-2011 at 11:59 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Another favorite, maybe The Favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI_sv5uswoY

Old 02-22-2011, 11:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
We handsome geniuses don't celebrate such inferior holidays.
Well of course it's not a holiday. My wholesale food supplier gives me a very nice calendar every year which duly notes every food observance for every month, liquor suppliers do the same thing. Oh, it's Spinach Day, Kale Observance Day, Broccoli Day, Chicken Day, etc. California Wine Day, Chilean Wine Day, Rosé Day, Red Day, White Day, BarSlop Day, SuckUpTheLeftovers Day ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Neither do sexy goddesses. We don't have time, because we are too busy being worshipped by our adoring public.
Oh I like that and being humble on such a recognized day just doesn't fit.

Quote:
That's true. A job on/near campus is an option. But the point I was trying to make is how my job options are limited. It would be hard for me to get a good internship unless the internship just happened to be within walking distance or along the bus route (which is laughable compared to the public transit in Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, DC).

A minimum wage job that has nothing to do with my future career field won't help much when I try to get a job after college. I don't see the point of working unless the experience would be relevant to the job I want someday.

One of my professors said a student job related to my major is more impressive to an employer than working as a cashier.

A businessman wouldn't apply to a nursing job. An engineer wouldn't apply to a lawyer job. Work experience is meaningless unless it has to do with the job you want. Sure, some experience is better than nothing. But if it's not relevant, it won't give you an edge.

If I need to move in with my parents after college because I can't get a job due to lack of good internships, it would serve them right. Maybe they would realize they (and I) would be better off in the long run if they let me bring a car to college. They only think about the negatives of letting me have a car (they say it's a distraction, which is true in some ways). But they fail to see the positives (a car would increase my job options).
Your major is Geography and I'm guessing that the opportunities in your particular field of interest are going to be quite limited with a few brilliant graduates competing hard and fast for available positions in the field.

Total and absolute NONSENSE that, "Work experience is meaningless unless it has to do with the job you want. Sure, some experience is better than nothing. But if it's not relevant, it won't give you an edge." If at the age of 19 you haven't yet learned the total stupidity of such a statement then I fear for you once you get it into the real world. Your whole philosophy on that score is ignorant, unlearned and unproven.

"If I need to move in with my parents after college because I can't get a job due to lack of good internships, it would serve them right." Yep, kiddo, that pretty much sums it up. It'll just serve them right for raising you, feeding you, housing you and continuing to support your lazy self through school and college. You're right, you DESERVE a car and they should buy it for you and pay for the upkeep. How else could you possibly get by?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think you need to work on cutting that umbilical, CD. The more you depend on them, the less control you have in your life. If you worked as a cashier, especially if you worked full-time over the summer, you could save up for a car and get an internship. Please don't seriously consider avoiding all the opportunities available to you just to get back at your parents and try to force them to support you.

Quote:
My mom said they would be always be willing to support me if necessary. She said they would rather support me if the other option was me living under a bridge.

And you're right. It sounds like I might be on that track. Sometimes I wonder if that's what my parents want for me.
If you just started putting on your hearing ears you might learn something. You come across as an overbearingly arrogant twerp with a major sense of entitlement and maybe a stint of living under a bridge might work for you. I doubt you'll ever come to that but maybe if you spent some time understanding and learning about life in general you'd have more appreciation for people in general. That understanding and learning comes via listening, hearing and comprehending which is something you seem to be totally incapable of doing.

OK. Onto another subject. How's the weather up there? Seems like the absolute agony of the unprecedented brutal winter in the US mainland and in Europe is slowly dissipating. We had MASSIVE flood problems here on St Thomas during October and November and now it's dry as a bone. All very unusual for sure. Major earthquake in NZ. The predictions of 12/21/12 are becoming less laughable. Cheers!

Old 02-22-2011, 12:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I never once took a study hall in high school and graduated a year early and in college I scheduled my classes on two days a week and went to class on those two days from 7:30 a.m to 9:30 pm.or just the mornings and had the afternoon and evenings and weekends free. I also took a few classes available in the summer. That gave me three whole days plus the weekend to work.
And when in the world did you STUDY?! Because I take it you also slept some...

Old 02-22-2011, 12:15 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
And how do you get a job without a car?! It's a catch 22.
To get my first car,
I bought a push gas lawn mower at Western Auto, on payments. Cut grass.
Saved $200, bought a used Lambretta motor scooter.
Rode scooter to new job cleaning & pickup/deliver parts, at Cypress Motors.
Worked 4 A.M.-12noon, then went to high school session in afternoon.
Saved $400 to buy 1953 Mercury Monterey hardtop.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
And when in the world did you STUDY?! Because I take it you also slept some...
I lived off little sleep and had tons of ambition and diet of snickers bars and mountain dew then. I spent any time between classes in the library or commons. One of the jobs I had was at a television station and occassionally in between waiting for live feeds in the middle of the night we'd have an hour or two to eff off and I'd get stuff done then and Sunday nights. School was relatively easy for me. Because I was so on the go my weight dropped to almost 90lbs and I for sure wasn't anorexic or bulimic.

Oh, and there were a couple classes like business law where the teacher said he was just going by the book so I never went to class except for the exams and aced those.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I babysat in college and made a lot of $$. There were plenty of faculty wives and grad students with little kids who just needed an hour or two to get some things done. Plus, it was all under the table (waves at IRS.) I put a lot in savings and had a nice cushion throughout my own lean grad school years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships