Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami*imA View Post
I've been seeing this guy for just several weeks, everything has been fine and we see each other almost every other day. He said he wants a serious exclusive relationship and I told him I need more time (and I explained it's not like I want to date other guys, I just want to see if we're compatible before I make a decision).

So today when we were talking on the phone, I told him I'm sick and my body temp is high. He first said "oh I wish I could make you feel better." Then I asked "can you come over here for a little bit and bring me some medicine?" He responded:" but I don't want to get sick. and I told my friends I'm going to hang out with them." Then I had to walk in the cold myself to go to the drug store....

Is it unreasonable for me to be upset with his reaction? Now I'm more scared of entering into a relationship with him, because I don't expect my bf to run away when I need him

Yes it's unreasonable and here's why. You don't want to be exclusive with him because you're waiting to see if your compatible enough which is good but .... you then want all the perks that go along with an exclusive relationship, i.e., him going to the drug store for you and taking care of you.
You can't have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
He could have at least put it at the front door - if he's afraid of getting sick. BTW - im sure he would sleep with you sick or not. I digress - - - if he knew what not bringing the medicine meant - the walk in the cold - - then reconsider - you should at least expect from a boyfriend what you would from a friend w/o benefits.
I wont sleep with my wife when she's sick. I'll have sex with her but then I get outta there asap.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:18 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Quote:
I've been seeing this guy for just several weeks, everything has been fine and we see each other almost every other day. He said he wants a serious exclusive relationship and I told him I need more time (and I explained it's not like I want to date other guys, I just want to see if we're compatible before I make a decision).

So today when we were talking on the phone, I told him I'm sick and my body temp is high. He first said "oh I wish I could make you feel better." Then I asked "can you come over here for a little bit and bring me some medicine?" He responded:" but I don't want to get sick. and I told my friends I'm going to hang out with them." Then I had to walk in the cold myself to go to the drug store....

Is it unreasonable for me to be upset with his reaction? Now I'm more scared of entering into a relationship with him, because I don't expect my bf to run away when I need him
Geesh Louise! Talking about mixed signals! And you ladies wonder why us men cant figure out whether to love you or shoot you out of frustration.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:20 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Just so everyone is clear and looking at the same page here are your questions

How old are the two of you?

Did you call him or did he call you for this conversation?

Did you ask him to come over and when he said no, did you specifically ask him if he could at least bring you the cough medicine? (this is quite important)

Did you specifically tell him you would have to walk if he didn't?

How far away does he live from you?

Was he going somewhere with his friends and he would not be the person driving?

Was he just leaving?

Does he have a car?

This all speaks to communication and expecting people to read our minds or what we think may be implied.

I, personally, wouldn't change my stance on my post with this information and would add between the odd phone calls when you are out and your searching him and confronting him you both have some major trust and security issues you need to sort out before either of you could ever have a healthy relationship with anyone.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Geesh Louise! Talking about mixed signals! And you ladies wonder why us men cant figure out whether to love you or shoot you out of frustration.
Not every woman, including myself, in this thread agrees with her thought process and saw it the same way you did so easy.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:23 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,802 times
Quote:

Absolutely you are unreasonable. You won't enter a committed relationship with the guy and you think you get to dictate what he does with his time? What makes you think you get to dictate what he does even if you are together. If you're sick, then sure there's a part of me that would want to stay and take care of you. But, like this guy, if I already made plans with friends then you're on your own for a few hours, especially if I had asked you to be my girlfriend and you said no.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:19 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Absolutely you are unreasonable. You won't enter a committed relationship with the guy and you think you get to dictate what he does with his time? What makes you think you get to dictate what he does even if you are together. If you're sick, then sure there's a part of me that would want to stay and take care of you. But, like this guy, if I already made plans with friends then you're on your own for a few hours, especially if I had asked you to be my girlfriend and you said no.
Not picking on you, but what part of she just asked him to bring some medicine are people not getting?

I agree he owes nothing to her, especially if she wasn't ready to be in a serious relationship with him. I don't think she had a right to expect him to stay with her all night and risk getting sick himself, but surely a quick trip to the store wasn't too much to ask. Granted, there may have been some specific circumstances that prevented him from going to the pharmacy but come on, there's a Walgreens on every freaking corner. If he cared about her AT ALL, the least he could have done was drop some meds off at her door and then go on his way.

There are very few people that I wouldn't help out that way. If I had plans to hang with my friends, they could wait a few minutes and every single one of my friends would understand.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:20 AM

513 posts, read 897,268 times
you been dating for a few weeks, and not seriously. so no, i see nothing wrong with what he did. could he have brought your meds first, then went with his friends, sure that would be the gentlemanly thing to do. but by no means is it required.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Not picking on you, but what part of she just asked him to bring some medicine are people not getting?

I agree he owes nothing to her, especially if she wasn't ready to be in a serious relationship with him. I don't think she had a right to expect him to stay with her all night and risk getting sick himself, but surely a quick trip to the store wasn't too much to ask. Granted, there may have been some specific circumstances that prevented him from going to the pharmacy but come on, there's a Walgreens on every freaking corner. If he cared about her AT ALL, the least he could have done was drop some meds off at her door and then go on his way.

There are very few people that I wouldn't help out that way. If I had plans to hang with my friends, they could wait a few minutes and every single one of my friends would understand.
When I dated my husband, he lived an hour and a half away from me.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesux View Post
you been dating for a few weeks, and not seriously. so no, i see nothing wrong with what he did. could he have brought your meds first, then went with his friends, sure that would be the gentlemanly thing to do. but by no means is it required.
I agree with this, and that's the only point I'm trying to argue. Maybe I'm arguing the wrong one. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships