Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:43 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
You're assuming though that sarcasm, is a "good thing"
Yeah, I do, but that's beside the point. Many benign jokes fly over some heads as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times
I guess there are a lot of different "camps."...There is the "politically correct camp." There is the "sarcasm is all in good fun" camp...There is the "sarcasm is always mean and hurtful" camp...There is the "don't say much because what you say might get you in trouble" camp or the "don't say much because what you say might make you look stupid" camp...Or the "always be nice" camp or ??? How many more "camps" are there? Can you think of anymore?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:39 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
.. How many more "camps" are there? Can you think of anymore?
Well there is Camp Wanatachi. But they are Off Broadway.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:33 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Quote:
What does it mean to take things literally? I view it as taking what is said at "face value" without considering other possible meanings or factors...For instance a child might yell out "I hate you" in anger to Mom...But Mom knows that the child is just angry at the time. She doesn't take what her child says literally or personally in the sense that she believes that her child will "hate her" forever and ever...Although I did see one Mom take a statement like this "very personally" when her daughter "lashed out." This was surprising to me because most Moms know that kids say lots of things when they are angry....It all blows over pretty fast...It seems hard to be in a relationship with people who tend to take things literally most of the time. How do you feel about it? Thanks...
Ah! Good question. From my own personal experience, which seems to be isolated many times, a person who takes things literally is a person who cannot think a bit more critically. In some cases, it could mean not being able to think for themselves.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Good insight. It is also a problem for those that do and fail to recognize the other doesn't. Having the Torch carrying mobs surround the Castle and seek your demise gets old. There is only so many times you can put up with being tar'd, feathered and ridden out on a rail before you give up.
I don't really perceive this as a problem. It's just another way of finding your own "birds of a feather."

Old 02-10-2011, 01:05 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times
Sometimes people think I take things too literally. It's either I'm passionate about the subject or I'm just trying to get my point across and came to hard on them.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:12 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
It can be kind of when you post and the OP totally takes it seriously when you meant it to be tongue in cheek!!I once made the mistake of owning up to my sarcasim and apologized(I was flamed). It doesn't stop me but I now know to keep from admitting to it!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:21 PM

112 posts, read 191,926 times
Quote:
What does it mean to take things literally? I view it as taking what is said at "face value" without considering other possible meanings or factors...For instance a child might yell out "I hate you" in anger to Mom...But Mom knows that the child is just angry at the time. She doesn't take what her child says literally or personally in the sense that she believes that her child will "hate her" forever and ever...Although I did see one Mom take a statement like this "very personally" when her daughter "lashed out." This was surprising to me because most Moms know that kids say lots of things when they are angry....It all blows over pretty fast...It seems hard to be in a relationship with people who tend to take things literally most of the time. How do you feel about it? Thanks...
I think you are about the closest here.

People who are not very careful with their words will opt for the word that adds extra weight to their argument. For example, someone might say, "You're always up for a fight".

What does that mean to you in the absence of a context? That the person is always ready to lash out?

It could also have been intended as a compliment to the person's alertness or tenacity(in the right context).

It is really about reading the context which also includes judging how carefully the individual chooses their words (part of the context).

Many people have trouble reading the context of a situation. This can be a difficulty in reading body language, tone of voice or the situation.

Many people have trouble creating an appropriate context for others to interpret their actions.

By this I mean, for example, some people enter a home and fail to make eye contact and exchange salutations with other people. These very same people would say, "I didn't think I was being rude" while one of the other people in the home say, "They just barge right in like they own the place."

It is all communication which happens on many levels, not merely the specific words. By focusing on words only, you risk losing a lot of meaning. Hence, someone is being "too literal".

WC

Old 02-10-2011, 05:40 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WireChief View Post
I think you are about the closest here.

People who are not very careful with their words will opt for the word that adds extra weight to their argument. For example, someone might say, "You're always up for a fight".

What does that mean to you in the absence of a context? That the person is always ready to lash out?

It could also have been intended as a compliment to the person's alertness or tenacity(in the right context).

It is really about reading the context which also includes judging how carefully the individual chooses their words (part of the context).

Many people have trouble reading the context of a situation. This can be a difficulty in reading body language, tone of voice or the situation.

Many people have trouble creating an appropriate context for others to interpret their actions.

By this I mean, for example, some people enter a home and fail to make eye contact and exchange salutations with other people. These very same people would say, "I didn't think I was being rude" while one of the other people in the home say, "They just barge right in like they own the place."

It is all communication which happens on many levels, not merely the specific words. By focusing on words only, you risk losing a lot of meaning. Hence, someone is being "too literal".

WC
Interesting post. Another thing to consider is that mental faculty, if that is the right word, is not being used to its maximum to interpret things like context.

For a very personal example, during my childhood, almost on a daily basis, whatever I did was considered bad and I was never allowed to correct my behavior. I had a hard time concentrating on context as a teenager and as an adult because I was too focused on words.

So if somebody was to tell me that I am always up for a fight, I would automatically assume that they meant to insult me no matter how hard I was trying to keep my tone in check.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I work with people with autism spectrum disorders who, among other things, nearly all have a very difficult time taking things any way other than literally, as communication and interpretation of nuance and all things abstract is a very real developmental challenge. Not being able to grasp hyperbole and the like makes relating to others very, very difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships