Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:12 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
My cats would like to have a chat with you...

Oh? Devil cat? If someone comes into my house and the cat heads toward them, I intercept the cat and lock it away. Nearly 100% of the time, the cat senses the person doesn't like them, that's why they approach the person. With people who do like cats, she tends to be stand-offish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 12:13 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Absolutely not the case. No way, no how.
Now that I think about it, I do know of one dog-loving friend whose house doesn't smell. She has a breed that doesn't shed, maybe that is her secret.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:19 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Now that I think about it, I do know of one dog-loving friend whose house doesn't smell. She has a breed that doesn't shed, maybe that is her secret.
*shrug* Maybe she just keeps it groomed.

Our pupsters get baths at least once a month (oatmeal shampoo is good for coats and deodorizes), plus regular butt shaves. It offends their dignity (oh, you should see the death glares we get) to have a razor whisked around their puckers (*), but they are prone to clingers and I ain't havin' that

Old 02-13-2011, 06:36 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Most cats in England have a cat flap and go to the bathroom outside, so no kitty litter. Having an indoor only cat is generally considered cruel in the UK. The exact reverse of here.
Interesting. I was born and raised in England and, yes, during my younger years when we lived in a rural community the cats went outside (no cat flaps in those days!) but when I later moved to London where my cat couldn't go outside it was completely different and of course I used a litter box. I don't think it's a general rule that British cats do their business outside, all depends on where you live, no different than the US.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I've never had a dog that does shed, but my friends does and I don't think her house smells either. She's also a clean freak though. I'm sure non shedding helps though it does require maintenance like human hair. ReguLr washing and combing. It's hair not fur so maybe that makes a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Interesting. I was born and raised in England and, yes, during my younger years when we lived in a rural community the cats went outside (no cat flaps in those days!) but when I later moved to London where my cat couldn't go outside it was completely different and of course I used a litter box. I don't think it's a general rule that British cats do their business outside, all depends on where you live, no different than the US.
The people I know around London don't have cats if they don't have gardens and they still have a cat flap. In England For example it's virtually impossible to adopt a cat if you don't have a cat flap. In the states it's virtually impossible to adopt a cat if you're going to let it outside at all. So I do think it's very different. I don't know a single person in the UK who has a cat that is a 100% indoor cat. Of course there are SOME but for most people if they can't give what is considered to be a proper environment for a cat they just don't get a cat. I find the attitudes over cats dramatically different from one country to the other although they are loved equally in both.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
That's what hardwood, vinyl, or laminate floors are for. Also, VACUUM CLEANERS. Having pets doesn't mean a dirty or smelly house (no matter what some posters might believe ). It's more work, fer sure, but that's all part of the responsibility of having a pet.
I agree. However in many cases, the cleaning gets very lax, and the home becomes extremely unappealing for anyone other than the pet owner. Obviously it does not have to be this way, but it often is, especially where there are many animals in the home. That is why so many people say "no way" to this situation.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Well, we're talking about two separate issues here:

1) Doesn't care for animals
2) Is generally unfeeling.

One doesn't correlate to the other.

Mind you, I understand that there are those who prefer animals to people, and there are people who love having 5 dogs, 4 cats, gerbils, birds, what have you. However, taking care of umpteen animals is not a sign of moral superiority. Yet some animal lovers would tell you that, or if they don't tell you that, you know that they're thinking that. And if you have someone who would choose their pets over a really great person with allergies, then you really have someone with odd priorities.

Personally, we had a dog and a cat. The dog died after living to be 17. The cat is 10, and probably has a few more years before going to the Great Litterbox In The Sky. After that? We're done with pets. Why? Because it's just one more damned thing to think about.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:00 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
I personally do not trust people who don't like animals. I believe it indicates some type of character flaw of some sort...not sure what but it is a gut instinct. I wouldn't ever get in a relationship with someone who didn't like animals at all. WHY!!!!!???????

Old 02-13-2011, 08:03 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
Must love dogs. Dealbreaker for me, anyways.

Deal breaker for me as well.

We'll always have one or two dogs but no more. Love cats, but hate that box so I don't have cats. More than a few pets and there is just too much to keep up with. The shed hair, wet or muddy feet, poo patrol, grooming and proper medical care. We have a medium/large non-shedder dog and a smallish one that sheds and that's about as much hair as I can reasonably keep a handle on in my house and car. Houses with pets do not have to "smell", but thorough housecleaning and regular pet grooming does have to be kept up with.

Of course it's the lack of warmth shown to his own children that is probably the real deal breaker.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:46 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I personally do not trust people who don't like animals. I believe it indicates some type of character flaw of some sort...not sure what but it is a gut instinct. I wouldn't ever get in a relationship with someone who didn't like animals at all. WHY!!!!!???????
This is just nonsense. I've known any number of people who don't care for pets and they're not sociopaths. Stop turning your personal preferences in life into moral choices. They're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships