Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:06 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times

Advertisements

Personally, I hate homes where the owners have Glade plug-in air fresheners in every room or those scented candles. That all seems really contrived and artificial to me. And also that they are buying into all those air freshener ad campaigns plus all the other ads insisting that human beings shouldn't smell like human beings but must use personal products to completely deodorize and sanitize ourselves. Geesh.

Anyway, I love the way a country farm smells. And the insides of a barn filled with animals and hay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I don't think pet owners realize how badly their homes smell. Maybe you get used to it and just don't notice. Every home I've ever been in that had a family dog or cat, smelled bad. Even the homes of clean freaks, whom I knew bathed their pets regularly.

Sorry, but if you have a dog or cat, your house stinks, whether you realize it or not.

I had pets when I was raising my kids but I am now pet free and loving it. I'm free! Free at last!
Odors are subjective. I find the odor of some well kept up houses objectionable due to the chemical smells of cleaners and still curing furniture glues and out-gassing paint solvents. Yet pet odors do not bother me much with the exception of the latest rescued cat I have. The fur ball has flatulence that stinks terrible and he seems to want to jump up in my lap just before letting go.

Now if you want to find really bad animal odor spend some time at a egg laying facility or a swine farm. I guarantee you it will change your view of what real odor is. They makes a municipal waste plant smell like a flower garden in comparison.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:26 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,552,822 times
total dealbreaker for me.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:58 PM

37,586 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna in AZ View Post
A second date with a guy revealed he did not want any animals. He didn't like them or see the reason why people would have them.
I can understand someone not wanting animals. But to say you don't understand why anyone else would? That's wacko enough I'd probably run.

Quote:
More dates down the road revealed a man not very warm, even to his children.
I'd definitely run.

Quote:
Also, how do you feel about people who have (in your view) too many animals? I have a girlfriend who has 5 cats and her boyfriend has one dog. They want to move in but their 'children' do not get along and neither will give them up. Would you give up your pet to be with the one you love or do you consider this to be a major impediment for compatibility?
I watched a show called Animal Hoarders last night. Totally unbalanced people...both sad and freaky. I think anyone with 5 cats is on their way. Too many for me! Give up my pet to be with the one I love? Yeah...probably.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:04 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
I couldn't date someone who hated animals.

If he didn't care for them, it would be a strike, as well, but as long as he was okay with my birds, then I might be able to get around it, depending on his other qualities.

Fortunately, my SO and I both love birds. We have six between the two of us, so the only thing I would ever have to worry about in this relationship is possibly losing my hearing.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,994,724 times
Quote:
A second date with a guy revealed he did not want any animals. He didn't like them or see the reason why people would have them.
I could understand if he had allergies but he doesn't.

More dates down the road revealed a man not very warm, even to his children. I'm not sure if there is a correlation.
I don't have any animals right now but I do envision getting a dog or two at the most. Nothing crazy.

Also, how do you feel about people who have (in your view) too many animals? I have a girlfriend who has 5 cats and her boyfriend has one dog. They want to move in but their 'children' do not get along and neither will give them up. Would you give up your pet to be with the one you love or do you consider this to be a major impediment for compatibility?
If you like animals and want to have them in your home while he doesn't, then it's best not to continue dating this guy. He shouldn't have to compromise his stance on the issue and neither should you. I'm not sure if his lack of a "warm" relationship w/ his kids is something to worry about right now...maybe. However, I'm sure you can find someone more compatible who also happens to like and want animals in their home.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:39 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I don't think pet owners realize how badly their homes smell. Maybe you get used to it and just don't notice. Every home I've ever been in that had a family dog or cat, smelled bad. Even the homes of clean freaks, whom I knew bathed their pets regularly.

Sorry, but if you have a dog or cat, your house stinks, whether you realize it or not.
Absolutely not the case. No way, no how.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:41 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

Most cats in England have a cat flap and go to the bathroom outside, so no kitty litter. Having an indoor only cat is generally considered cruel in the UK. The exact reverse of here.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:01 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,292 times
Quote:
Would you give up your pet to be with the one you love....
Nope.

For one, I doubt I'd get to the "love" stage. That person would know I had a pet (actually I have several; always have), if they didn't like animals we probably wouldn't get past the first date.

Two, if someone stated I had to get rid of the animal(s) to be with them (for any other reason than allergies) I'd get a hinky feeling that they'd come up with some other controlling demands down the road.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
The house was just covered in dog hair and there was no way I would ever be comfortable living in a house with three large dogs.
That's what hardwood, vinyl, or laminate floors are for. Also, VACUUM CLEANERS. Having pets doesn't mean a dirty or smelly house (no matter what some posters might believe ). It's more work, fer sure, but that's all part of the responsibility of having a pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships