U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,274,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I've had animals around me all my life so they've always been part of the family and the scenery, wouldn't be without them. Many years ago I accepted a marriage proposal and, a few weeks later, my fiance said, "Oh, by the way, what are you going to do about the cats when we marry?" I had two at the time. It had never occurred to me that the cats would be an issue as he obviously liked them and the feeling was mutual, so of course I said that they were part of the package. He shrugged and said OK.

Three years later he was the owner of a 20 acre teaching/training/showing horse farm with 20+ horses (boarders and school horses), a couple of dogs and usually about four or five cats. Oh and Pekings and mallards on the pond.

I have to admit that our marriage didn't survive but it had nothing to do with the animals at all. I have no idea whether or not he's still alive (occasional random internet searches out of curiosity have been inconclusive) but I like to think that, as time passed by, his subsequent remarriage worked out, and that he was able to later regale some folks with some tales about those horse shows and that whole part of his life he'd never imagined!

In response to the immediate question, yes I do have definite qualms about people who dislike animals. I understand why some people are scared of some animals and of course understand people with allergies, but those who adamantly oppose any sort of an animal/pet in their home for no real reason rather creep me out.

Not even mentioned are the alleged animal lovers who pay enormous prices for "designer" dogs and cats who complement the decor. Tacky beyond tacky.

As far as the couple who's at odds about her five cats and his one dog. Are you serious? If those two people wanted to be together they'd find a way to make it work where their respective furries are concerned. Everyone who knows animals knows that in a cat versus dog melee cats rule and five against one is really a no brainer unless the dog's a 100lb killer pitbull or an interbred Rotty with a studded collar and only half a brain (not that there aren't plenty of them around).

Would I give up my pets to be with the one I love or do I consider this to be a major impediment for compatibility?

Of course not. It would never be an issue. You don't move in with or make a commitment to someone until all this has been sorted out.

Cheers!
Agreed. I've had pets all my life so I can't imagine not having a pet. Now my one dog is 16 y.o. now and after she passes I won't get a pet for about a year so that I can travel and do the things I want to do. All my cats are gone now. So in my future I will get more cats and when I get dogs, they will be little dogs. No more big dogs for me.

So that would be a dealbreaker for me. Need someone that loves animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 PM

42,846 posts, read 53,467,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Sounds like you have had a bad experience sierraAZ. While, I will grant you that cats do have a bit of a destructive nature, that nature can be managed. There is no reason to have wrecked furniture! (Although, I certainly would not have EXPENSIVE furniture in the house with cats. LOL). But as far as STENCH AND FILTH, there is no reason whatsoever that someone with a pet has to deal with this. Apparently, whomever you knew that had pets that lived in filth and stench, were not very good housekeepers.

20yrsinBranson
Yes, I have lived in a zoo against my wishes for a few years. I got into the situation because I was promised it was going to be temporary.

I'm yet to see a house with animals that doesn't smell to some degree... And having an inferior interior decor solely for the sake of animals or becoming their slave are just not choices I can comprehend. Having them in a bedroom or God forbid in bed is just out of the question!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,274,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Sounds like you have had a bad experience sierraAZ. While, I will grant you that cats do have a bit of a destructive nature, that nature can be managed. There is no reason to have wrecked furniture! (Although, I certainly would not have EXPENSIVE furniture in the house with cats. LOL). But as far as STENCH AND FILTH, there is no reason whatsoever that someone with a pet has to deal with this. Apparently, whomever you knew that had pets that lived in filth and stench, were not very good housekeepers.

20yrsinBranson
True. I have only one dog now but about 5 years ago had a houseful of 4 cats and 1 dog. Nothing filthy or stenchy about my house. It depends on your housekeeping skills. You just get into a routine with the upkeep of multiple animals.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna in AZ View Post
I wouldn't do that to you. Turns out, he was a functioning alcoholic and a surgeon to boot! He never drank on the job but once off work, he wouldn't stop drinking until he passed out.
Sounds perfect to me! First we'll have a drink or two, then he'll pass out, and I'll keep shopping online! I'll book another surgeon if I need one.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:23 PM

11,236 posts, read 6,102,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Send him my way!

They can enjoy their filthy and stinky places without me.
<hangs his head and shuffles off into the sunset>

Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 PM

3,625 posts, read 2,826,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Pets/no pets is just another level of compatibility that needs to be addressed as you date. There's nothing inherently wrong with not wanting pets. I'm an animal lover myself, but I can admit they are a lot of work and they do smell at times. If you love them, it's worth it, but just because someone doesn't want pets, I don't think it makes them heartless or cold any more than someone who doesn't want kids or doesn't like motorcycles or doesn't like skiing. It's a personal preference.

I've known people who were extremely loving towards their pets but rather cold and unkind to human family members. I've known very caring, selfless individuals who just weren't wild about animals. I don't think there's always a correlation.
Yes, this. ^^^^

I respect someone's preference for animals. If he was a guy I was just getting to know, the subject would have come up early, and it's an incompatibility I can't live with. But, like any other preference... to each his/her own. I won't try to force my love for animals on anyone. I mean, I hate seafood. Can't STAND it, and it annoys me so much when someone says "How can you not love this? Really, try it. It's SO GOOD." Nope. Not gonna happen.

I can be friends with folks who don't care for animals, and I do have friends who feel that way.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
<hangs his head and shuffles off into the sunset>
That's alright... You're lucky to belong to the majority! With me, between my smoking and their stinking animals, I'll probably be problem-free forever! We don't even need to get into looks, personality, finances, politics, and other minor problems.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:31 PM

3,490 posts, read 5,057,008 times
Quote:

I'm yet to see a house with animals that doesn't smell to some degree... And having an inferior interior decor solely for the sake of animals or becoming their slave are just not choices I can comprehend. Having them in a bedroom or God forbid in bed is just out of the question!
lol Sierra you should come to my house. I GUARANTEE it doesn't smell. I would just die. She has debateable breath from time to time but that's it.
She does have very regular baths though and I keep her in a puppy cut with short hair. It helps that she's white so we HAVE to keep her clean.

We actually try to encourage her to sleep in the bedroom with us (but not in our bed), but she prefers sleeping in her bag.
She comes into bed for cuddles in the morning for 5 to 10 minutes only. If I was with someone who didn't want her in the bed at all I would be fine with it. I don't like having a dog on my bed when I'm trying to sleep at all either.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 PM

11,236 posts, read 6,102,256 times
Quote:
That's alright... You're lucky to belong to the majority! With me, between my smoking and their stinking animals, I'll probably be problem-free forever! We don't even need to get into looks, personality, finances, politics, and other minor problems.
Cough, cough.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,118,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna in AZ View Post

... Would you give up your pet to be with the one you love or do you consider this to be a major impediment for compatibility?
I would only give up a pet for someone I loved if that person was allergic to it, such as a child that comes later after you have married someone. I would not love a person that can not accept pets around otherwise. I do not want to put up with too many animals after growing up with animals always around (rural lifestyle). But they are part of everyday life. That is not to say that all pets are worth putting up with. Some peoples dogs are so badly trained or mannered they are a pain for anyone to have to deal with. Some cats are furniture shredders.

But a person that does not like animals at all, is not a person that I could like. So yes, deal breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships