Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Posting on City Data Forums all day.
I know, huh! Everybody should get alternative monikers - they make things look a whole lot more functional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 03:39 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
The only truly non functioning adults are those with developmental delays who cannot take care of themselves.

As long as you have a job, can be self sufficient and don't live at home with your parents, I don't care what you do.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:46 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,776 times
Well from this definition of Adult in Wikipedia
Quote:
An adult is a human being or living organism that is of relatively mature age, typically associated with sexual maturity and the attainment of reproductive age. In human context, the term has other subordinate meanings associated with social and legal concepts; for example, a legal adult is a legal concept for a person who has attained the age of majority and is therefore regarded as independent, self-sufficient, and responsible (contrast with "minor").
I would take it that a Non-functioning adult is one that is not sexually mature and/or independent, self-sufficient and responsible. However that describes most of the US adult human population so I am not sure there is any good answer to your query.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:45 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,805 times
A non-functioning adult can also be described as someone that's too worried about others' affairs that they don't know how to MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS. Just because someone's trying to better themselves but lives with parents doesn't make them non-functioning, it makes them smart because in this economy, unless you have major loot; you're gonna need some kind of help.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:10 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
To me, when I hear non-functioning adult, I think of a handicap person.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:13 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,132 times
I think American's views on things are thwarted. It is not of their own doing, but like a book once said that I so much agree with. You repeat the same thing over and over again; eventually people will start believing that that was their belief though it never was. And then as the brainwashed society moves it on. It keeps repeating ideals that were never theirs to their children and so on and on. What is the end result? American society. Its filled with Euphemism and fill in the void with whatever is next. Sad empty vessels that will never know their true potential.

/rant

Old 02-12-2011, 05:26 PM

22,164 posts, read 19,217,049 times
someone who is not capable of living their own life, as in keeping a roof over their head, food on the table, some source of financial support.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,682 times
Sorry, but I am not non-functioning just b/c I go to school but still depend on my parents financially. I do have a job, but it is part time and does not pay well. Even full time, it wouldn't pay enough for me to be independent. It tooks months for me to get this job. I applied and applied and interviewed, and this was the only one that called me back. I am in school full time, so that I can, hopefully, have a full time job in the future that pays well (no, I am not expecting some exhorbitant amount) and I can live on my own. Heck, I am looking for a job now, but it is hard b/c no one wants me b/c of my schedule. I am always looking though. The majority of the people around me are in the same boat.

Some of you guys are pure, judgmental jerks.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:35 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Sorry, but I am not non-functioning just b/c I go to school but still depend on my parents financially. I do have a job, but it is part time and does not pay well. Even full time, it wouldn't pay enough for me to be independent. It tooks months for me to get this job. I applied and applied and interviewed, and this was the only one that called me back. I am in school full time, so that I can, hopefully, have a full time job in the future that pays well (no, I am not expecting some exhorbitant amount) and I can live on my own. Heck, I am looking for a job now, but it is hard b/c no one wants me b/c of my schedule. I am always looking though. The majority of the people around me are in the same boat.

Some of you guys are pure, judgmental jerks.
You go Marissy!

Some people don't realize that it's a smarter idea to live with the 'rents while in school (if you can), so that you can focus more on your studies, hopefully get a better job upon graduation, and have the better means of supporting yourself in life. Why make life much more difficult if you really don't have to, especially if your parents are okay with the fact (and prefer) that you are living at home while in school?

Independence is great, don't get me wrong, but you're much better off if you start your independence off on the RIGHT foot as opposed to struggling by working two or more jobs, leaving less time for your studies (leading to failing grades and diminishing your chances for a good internship/future job...which might make you quit school).

Now if you're not in school and/or CAN afford to live on your own, then by all means be independent!

p.s. You're a "functioning" adult. You're working and paying taxes that contribute to American society (in some form for another).

Old 02-13-2011, 08:02 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
A Non-Functioning Adult? I always tend to separate the world in Adults and Grown-Ups. Being an Adult is just a biological stage of life. Being a Grown-Up is something completely different. At the bare minimum, a Grown-Up should:

1) Maintain a job with actual responsibilities

2) Pay one's way in life without hitting up the parents for occasional infusions of cash (Students are partially exempt from this, of course, because your chief job is finishing your education. At the same time, if your parents are financially struggling to put you through college, an adult will recognize this and seek out ways to make the financial burden easier. If your parents are taking out a second mortgage on the house to pay your tuition at a private college while you work a cute little part-time job for minimum wage, then you should really bend your energies towards helping them out more)

3) Take care of oneself in terms of one's surroundings, one's person, and relationships to others.

A Full-Fledged Grown-Up, however, does more:

1) Operates with consideration towards others

2) Has wisdom enough to see trouble brewing ahead and to take avoidance measures

3) Considers the question of right and wrong to take precedence over satisfying one's appetites

4) Has purpose in life, whether it be personal or professional

5) Thinks before speaking and acting

6) Realizes that it is not all about himself all the time, which means being a responsible citizen of his community and of the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships