Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:16 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
You go Marissy!

Some people don't realize that it's a smarter idea to live with the 'rents while in school (if you can), so that you can focus more on your studies, hopefully get a better job upon graduation, and have the better means of supporting yourself in life. Why make life much more difficult if you really don't have to, especially if your parents are okay with the fact (and prefer) that you are living at home while in school?

Independence is great, don't get me wrong, but you're much better off if you start your independence off on the RIGHT foot as opposed to struggling by working two or more jobs, leaving less time for your studies (leading to failing grades and diminishing your chances for a good internship/future job...which might make you quit school).

Now if you're not in school and/or CAN afford to live on your own, then by all means be independent!

p.s. You're a "functioning" adult. You're working and paying taxes that contribute to American society (in some form for another).
See, while I understand where you're going with this, I would offer an alternative viewpoint.

Part of one's education in college is simply learning to be an adult. Sure, internships and the like are an important part of that. But I would argue that simply learning to live on your own is an education in itself. Yes, doing your own laundry and cooking your own meals is a pain, as is working a job waiting tables on Saturday night while one's friends are out partying. In that sense, I would argue that living with one's parents while attending college is really nothing more than attending a more demanding high school.

At the same time, people who have partially paid their own way while living on their own are actually further ahead of the game than the ones whose parents scribbled out the tuition check, did the laundry and had a hot meal on the table every night at six p.m. They are more attuned to getting out on time, the need to be wise with money and time, and the million other things that differentiate an adult from an adolescent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
someone that is not thriving.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
someone that is not thriving
Seriously? What percentage of people do you think "thrive"?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
someone that is not thriving.
So a struggling, laid-off factory worker who has been a model parent, model spouse, and model citizen is not an adult? I be that would be news to him.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:39 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
See, while I understand where you're going with this, I would offer an alternative viewpoint.

Part of one's education in college is simply learning to be an adult. Sure, internships and the like are an important part of that. But I would argue that simply learning to live on your own is an education in itself. Yes, doing your own laundry and cooking your own meals is a pain, as is working a job waiting tables on Saturday night while one's friends are out partying. In that sense, I would argue that living with one's parents while attending college is really nothing more than attending a more demanding high school.

At the same time, people who have partially paid their own way while living on their own are actually further ahead of the game than the ones whose parents scribbled out the tuition check, did the laundry and had a hot meal on the table every night at six p.m. They are more attuned to getting out on time, the need to be wise with money and time, and the million other things that differentiate an adult from an adolescent.
I agree with you to an extent, but just because one lives at home during college doesn't mean their parents do everything for them.

I lived at home. I did my own laundry, cooked my own meals (well, I should say "cooked"...lol), bought my own car, and pretty much bought whatever I needed. My parents didn't pay my tuition, though they helped with books when they could afford to. I didn't expect anything from them.

I went to school full time, worked part time, did volunteer work and I graduated on time with honors. I consider myself a functioning adult during that time, even though I didn't pay rent.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I agree with you to an extent, but just because one lives at home during college doesn't mean their parents do everything for them.

I lived at home. I did my own laundry, cooked my own meals (well, I should say "cooked"...lol), bought my own car, and pretty much bought whatever I needed. My parents didn't pay my tuition, though they helped with books when they could afford to. I didn't expect anything from them.

I went to school full time, worked part time, did volunteer work and I graduated on time with honors. I consider myself a functioning adult during that time, even though I didn't pay rent.
True enough. I would offer that students are conditional adults. In that sense, I would say that the individual's progress to full-blown self-sufficiency dictates whether or not they are a grown-up or not.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:21 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
True enough. I would offer that students are conditional adults. In that sense, I would say that the individual's progress to full-blown self-sufficiency dictates whether or not they are a grown-up or not.
I can agree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships