Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:04 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times

Advertisements

That is the question.

Im in between jobs right now and was only able to spend about $7.50 on my gf for Valentines Day. I got her a box of chocolates and a dvd about Lady Gaga (I would rather give her that than flowers, because a DVD will last a lot longer, plus she LOVES Gaga)

I also took the time to make and print a card myself on the computer for her. I had done the same for Christmas as well, making her a card myself. I used paint so it looks somewhat primitive, but I really put out an effort for it.

What makes me feel bad is that she bought some prime rib steaks saying she wanted to have a nice Valentine's Day dinner. I plan on cooking it (anytime we have a meal where steak is involved, I'm the one who cooks it) But even though Im between jobs right now, I feel like it was a blow to my pride because I felt like I was the one who should have payed for not just the steaks, but the entire $80 she spent on the groceries even though right now I have no way to. I start a new job tomorrow but I wont see my first paycheck until the end of the month

Is it a rule that a guy MUST spend a lot of money on his girl for Valentine's Day? I have a part time job at Kmart (I say in between jobs because I lost a job I was doing when not at Kmart, Kmart gives me 8-12 hrs a week, not enough to survive on) I see male customers come to my store and spend $50+ easily on their wives or girlfriends for tomorrow, and I feel like a deadbeat because Im broke even though its through no fault of my own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 03:08 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
That is the question.

Im in between jobs right now and was only able to spend about $7.50 on my gf for Valentines Day. I got her a box of chocolates and a dvd about Lady Gaga (I would rather give her that than flowers, because a DVD will last a lot longer, plus she LOVES Gaga)

I also took the time to make and print a card myself on the computer for her. I had done the same for Christmas as well, making her a card myself. I used paint so it looks somewhat primitive, but I really put out an effort for it.

What makes me feel bad is that she bought some prime rib steaks saying she wanted to have a nice Valentine's Day dinner. I plan on cooking it (anytime we have a meal where steak is involved, I'm the one who cooks it) But even though Im between jobs right now, I feel like it was a blow to my pride because I felt like I was the one who should have payed for not just the steaks, but the entire $80 she spent on the groceries even though right now I have no way to. I start a new job tomorrow but I wont see my first paycheck until the end of the month

Is it a rule that a guy MUST spend a lot of money on his girl for Valentine's Day? I have a part time job at Kmart (I say in between jobs because I lost a job I was doing when not at Kmart, Kmart gives me 8-12 hrs a week, not enough to survive on) I see male customers come to my store and spend $50+ easily on their wives or girlfriends for tomorrow, and I feel like a deadbeat because Im broke even though its through no fault of my own
Valentine's is a trumped up pseudo holiday.
You got a box of chocolates and a CD for her for $7.50? I'd say you did really well. Most impressive? Making the card yourself. THAT'S the kind of stuff that actually matters (well, to the girls that are worth your time anyways!) So don't sweat it Davie - you're on the right track and I am sure she will appreciate your thoughtfulness! And good luck in your new job!

Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Hope not. I'm painting a watercolor for BF with a poem on it. I got the watercolor board at Hobby Lobby for $4.00, and already had the watercolors and the calligraphy pens.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:18 PM

164 posts, read 211,323 times
Quote:
That is the question.

I think my GF would kill me if I got her something expensive. In my opinion if she doesn't like your gift... than that's her problem. You did okay.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:31 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
Quote:
That is the question.

I think your girlfriend is lucky to have you!

Old 02-13-2011, 05:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
I think you did alright considering your age and means.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I think in a lot of ways this Valentine's will show a lot about who you are too each other.

You have done something heartfelt and thoughtful, which is ALWAYS good. She should understand you are broke right now, and you are starting a job (so not always broke!!). She has the financial means so has contributed something to make the night enjoyable. That's the way good couples work.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:46 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
That is the question.

Get out of your own head man, you are psyching yourself out and being your own worst enemy.

If your girl really loves you she understands you've done all you can afford to do - end of story. LET IT GO.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:03 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Make the note in your card something personal and you've hit a homerun!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:16 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
Why does anyone feel compelled to spend more than a few bucks on Valentines day? Any woman demanding some expensive meal or gift is not a woman worth having. Buy your GF a card and include a handwritten, heartfelt letter. That is gold. An expensive hotel, meal of gift is all errant nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships