Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I'm curious about whether the chemistry could still be there if you haven't seen that person for 20 years.
It can. I've experience with 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
If you're so quick to say that chemistry doesn't exist, I would suggest it's because you have yet to experience it. No, it has nothing to do with sex, at least not in the early stages. While having a healthy sexual relationship will definitely encourage and strengthen a couple that already has good chemistry, the absence of having had sex will not suddenly render chemistry irrelevant. Chemistry doesn't magically appear after having sex with different people. It is an instant connection between two people, a tingling nervousness about being close to them, the attraction you can't deny no matter how much you try. It cannot be faked or denied.

Until you meet this person for real, there is no way to know what you really have. She may feel no physical attraction to you, no butterflies in her stomach when she's close to you physically. It's entirely possible for two people to highly regard one another, to find the other fascinating, to enjoy lively conversation, but to have no honest physical attraction and tingling desire just from being around that person. That's lack of chemistry. Those people would make great friends, life-long friends, but not good romantic partners or lovers. Something would always be missing, and if/when they did finally meet a person they felt honest attraction to, they would very likely feel they had made a mistake.

Yes, throughout history couples have been brought together by arranged marriage and some cultures still do it today. Do those couples have chemistry? Some do, but for most, marriage is more of a business arrangement, an eventual fondness for the person with whom you share circumstances rather than the sort of romantic love that many in this country have come to expect and desire.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Great post as always, h886.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Great post as always, h886.
I second that.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Sometimes the chemistry can be delayed, developed later.

I've occasionally put ads on Craigslist for sexual encounters only, chemistry unnecessary. Two people come together with clear-cut sexual agendas, romance/having a relationship with this person, wasn't even on your radar screen. Just selfish, mutual sexual pleasures only for both. And?

You miscalculated, the magic/chemistry was to be found with the lights off. Frogs with magical bedroom skills that were transformed into princes.

Being good in bed is my primary concern always. I've met princes with instant chemistry, and in the bedroom? Frogs!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:46 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
In the intense situations I don't think it ever goes away, which can be a problem if you are married to someone else
I'll say it is. I met him when I was married and haven't seen him in 20 years and now we're both free and I'm hoping it's still there as he's the only man I ever felt the chemistry with and it's like h886 said, I felt that I'd made a mistake in my marriage when I met this man. We'll meet in about a month b/c he lives pretty far away.

Anyway, as someone stated above, chemistry between two people is pretty rare, and it's just as well that it is or the world would be a much crazier place. I don't even know what it means exactly.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 AM

199 posts, read 490,985 times
Chemistry is the weirdest most random thing ever. I could have way better chemistry with someone which who I have almost nothing in common with in contrary to having absolutely no chemistry with someone who shares a lot of my interests. Oddly enough I have noticed that people who are either extremely similar to me or extremely different from me are the ones that I usually have the most chemistry with.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:04 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I'll say it is. I met him when I was married and haven't seen him in 20 years and now we're both free and I'm hoping it's still there as he's the only man I ever felt the chemistry with and it's like h886 said, I felt that I'd made a mistake in my marriage when I met this man. We'll meet in about a month b/c he lives pretty far away.

Anyway, as someone stated above, chemistry between two people is pretty rare, and it's just as well that it is or the world would be a much crazier place. I don't even know what it means exactly.

Woo hoo! Let us know how it goes, sounds like a real chemical reaction is about to explode

Old 02-16-2011, 03:22 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Woo hoo! Let us know how it goes, sounds like a real chemical reaction is about to explode
I hope so, Oh Lord, I hope so. My worst case scenario is that one of us will still feel it and the other one won't and I can't even say which would be worse.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
How exactly does one acquire or develop a sense of "chemistry", vis a vis the opposite gender? Does it arise from previous intimate encounter experiences?

Just wondering, b/c for me, chemistry is almost totally 99.99999% irrelevant. In fact, I have a theory that if more ppl married when they were both virgins, the whole notion of chemistry in general, would be a lot less important than most ppl today make it out to be I have only been on like one date in my life with a girl, where I found I wasn't potentially attracted to her, based on conventional chemistry notions...and I have dated a lot of gals of all types, from pretty to beautiful to average to below average, to thin, overweight, etc.

Thoughts? Does a lack of prior intimate encouters, lessen the effect or the importance, of chemistry, for a potential relationship? (The former effectively assumes a chemical "blank slate" effect.) Also, is the opposite true -- do you think a prevalence or preponderance of previous intimate relationships, increases or enhances, the net importance of chemistry?
Your thinking too much into it.

Chemistry is a very real thing, and its very important in all relavent human relationships, not just in the battle if the sexes.

Chemistry is when there are no more awkward silences. You know when you really connect with a person when the both of you can just shut the f**k up, and be fine with it, because there is a level of understanding that transcends vocalization. It's like you can read eachother's minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships