Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
And please: serious, sincere answers only: I don't wanna get in a peeing contest about how I'm shallow and insensitive to "plus-sized" women. (After all, it was my new bride who made the comment! LOL).

Hurray, you found someone as shallow and insensitive as you. That's not a surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
This is an offensive thread. It is like me saying why are all elderly people surly because I ran into a rude one or two in the same day... There are rude overweight people, rude thin people, rude unattractive people, rude beautiful people...I guess you get what I am saying. No one group has the market cornered on any particular character trait.
Personally, I find not obese drummers, who celebrate Valentine's Day at B&Bs, are from Texas and with "boy" in their screen-name to be rude, shallow and insensitive.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:53 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
This thread should die. It is rude..it is like saying all rock and roll drummers do drugs...see generalizations are bad and false.
Uhhh....having been a pro drummer for over 20 years, I'm pretty sure they do!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:37 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Well, he's making a statement of fact based on his experience via a question "why is it that fat dudes are usually friendly and gregarious, while fat women are surly and angry?" And this statement is pretty negative, so it's not far fetched to view it as offensive. It is.

If a scientist is going to put forth a hypothesis it has to be reasonable/rational. I don't know if the OP is reasonable. Addressing the hypothesis amongst peers as an honest question would require care on the part of the OP. I'm going to take a not so wild guess that the OP is pretty careless. I highly doubt he mindfully went along for a few days to take note of all the overweight people he came across, take note of his behavior, and take note of the context of the various situations that included overweight people. It's likely during the days he noticed the waitress and the women in the car that he came across a ton of overweight people that passed right under his radar. Why? Because he's noticing ornery overweight people as opposed to all overweight people.

So, I'll vote NO on the sciency assertions here.
He may have stated it as a fact but he still took the time TO ASK, so for that reason he is not offensinsive. Reasonable/rational? Look at those word in the dictionary and you will find out that they are open to subjectivity. To you it may be irrational or not reasonable. He may be careless but he still put it as a question for others to provide feedback. I also did not imply he went 100% in his quest using the scientific method. The concept was there and I give him the benefit of the doubt and not take offense. I can ask why blacks may be a certain way, why women are a certain way, etc. Of for that matter others may ask why we hispanics are a certain way. To me he is asking a question so I can either take offense or find out more why he asks. In the end he actually had the intent of being offensive or maybe he honestly asked a question. He probably delivered his message not the way you wanted so you would not take offense. Being offended is a very common thing our culture. With that in mind I suppose I understand why you took offense to it. By the way I did not know this was a voting both on science point, was it? Take care.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Perhaps we should all pitch in to donate high-end vibrators to these surly, large ladies that drummer keeps running into. Maybe they will be in better moods then

Old 02-28-2011, 06:46 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Perhaps we should all pitch in to donate high-end vibrators to these surly, large ladies that drummer keeps running into. Maybe they will be in better moods then
Hello, Pear. I may need that vibrator. Forget the surly large ladies. Thank you very much.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:13 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
The rabbit is the best in my book, such a giving lover

Old 02-28-2011, 07:21 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
He may have stated it as a fact but he still took the time TO ASK, so for that reason he is not offensinsive.
He took the time to ask why fat women are this or that (a statement of fact) while fat men hold other qualities (another statement of fact). It is what it is; offensive. And who gives a flying fig that somebody is asking another ridiculous question on the net that can potentially hurt folks feelings?

Quote:
Reasonable/rational? Look at those word in the dictionary and you will find out that they are open to subjectivity. To you it may be irrational or not reasonable.
As a scientist I know what a reasonable hypothesis generally looks like. I don't think that understanding will be found under a dictionary definition of "reasonable", tho. OTOH, under the umbrella of the scientific method I do not find it rational for the reasons I stated. Again, if he went out of his way to note all the fat people he came across in those days, and by his response to my post I'm guessing my assumptions were correct in that he did not, then he could ask the question honestly. Clearly, this was not the case. So, no, it's not reasonable.

Quote:
He may be careless but he still put it as a question for others to provide feedback. I also did not imply he went 100% in his quest using the scientific method. The concept was there and I give him the benefit of the doubt and not take offense. I can ask why blacks may be a certain way, why women are a certain way, etc. Of for that matter others may ask why we hispanics are a certain way. To me he is asking a question so I can either take offense or find out more why he asks.
And all of these questions will only highlight attributes of the questioner. Asking why a race, a sex, a weight, etc behave a certain way under unknown conditions is nonsensical. It's testimony to ignorance. Further, I don't know why you mention science anything. And science @100%? 80%?

Quote:
In the end he actually had the intent of being offensive or maybe he honestly asked a question. He probably delivered his message not the way you wanted so you would not take offense. Being offended is a very common thing our culture. With that in mind I suppose I understand why you took offense to it. By the way I did not know this was a voting both on science point, was it? Take care.
Hey, don't get me wrong. I didn't get offended. I'm not fat. I'm quite fit. But I can understand how it's offensive to fat people. As far as the voting goes, you're correct. I suppose it was more of a sigh/side step move on my part to express distaste of the haphazard, careless insertion of the 'scientific method' (big yawn) so I wouldn't throw out a direct insult.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:03 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Hey, don't get me wrong. I didn't get offended. I'm not fat. I'm quite fit. But I can understand how it's offensive to fat people.
Don't you mean "I can understand how it is offensive to over weight people"?

Last time I checked calling human beings 'fat people' was offensive. Or at least thats how I was raised.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:13 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
"Fat people" isn't offensive, anymore than saying "skinny people", which on the other hand, appears to be totally acceptable. Fat people know they're fat (although actually I wonder if some actually do these days...) so they can see it for what it is, or they're in denial. Many people do of course try to deny their problems or causes thereof and take the blame off themselves, like the famous 650lb woman who insisted she ate no more than the average person, and that it was mostly salad. Maybe that's why these fat women have bad attitudes.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:30 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Don't you mean "I can understand how it is offensive to over weight people"?

Last time I checked calling human beings 'fat people' was offensive. Or at least thats how I was raised.
You're right. Sorry folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships