Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:40 PM

339 posts, read 836,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post

Women like to stay home with their pets and their hobbies. Online dating has made that easier to do.
This is especially true in the DC area.

This next generation of women are gonna be cat ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 11:28 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:

Women like to stay home with their pets and their hobbies. Online dating has made that easier to do.
Can't argue that. We also go out with our GFs alot, exercise, do our outdoor hobbies... etc.

We DO expect our dates/BFs/SOs to be more fun than what we normally do. Don't you?!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 PM

591 posts, read 865,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Can't argue that. We also go out with our GFs alot, exercise, do our outdoor hobbies... etc.

We DO expect our dates/BFs/SOs to be more fun than what we normally do. Don't you?!
What do we look like, your court jester? how about YOU be interesting for a change?? Give us a reason to want to be seen with YOU.

(I think you just might have motivated me to think about moving to Europe).

Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
What do we look like, your court jester? how about YOU be interesting for a change?? Give us a reason to want to be seen with YOU.

(I think you just might have motivated me to think about moving to Europe).
He has a good point. There's no stigma on women for being homebodies. For guys it's like get out and get laid/a girlfriend.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:47 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
The growing popularity of online dating means women no longer need to actively seek men - women can field multiple date requests from the comfort of their own homes. I believe this is why bars and clubs are increasingly becoming sausagefests - single women aren't going out as much today. Rather than the singles/meat markets of yore, bars and clubs are now becoming venues for groups of friends to celebrate some sort of group event - birthday parties, "girls night out" etc.

I think a lot of single women feel that its just more SAFE to meet a man online. Which ofcourse is retarded because most of those sites don't even use background checks. Also the guys on there typically have the same agenda as men at bars which is to get LAID.

What do you guys think?
Ok. Here's what I think.....

First of all, online dating is a burst bubble. Look at the number of members they claim to have. Then, start looking at the profiles. Pay particular attention to the last time that member checked into the site. For the sites I've seen, nine out of ten members haven't checked into the site once in the last 3 months. So, for most of them, even if you do send them a flirt (or smile, or heart, or nudge), they're not going to know.

About the only site that still seems to be active is "Craigslist". And, if a guy answers any one of those ads, he gets an automatic, pre-written, generic, response that directs him to an "XXX-rated" pay site, where he can sit by himself and keep spending his money on nothing.

R. I. P. online dating

Old 10-01-2011, 06:52 AM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Women like to stay home with their pets and their hobbies.
I'm at work at 8:30, leave around 6, hit the gym until 8 or 9 or so, run errands, come home, clean up, check email, and usually am pushing it to get to bed by midnight. And that is with my son gone off to college. It was even more hectic when he was home.

Yeah...we like to just stay home and do nothing. RIGHT.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:53 AM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Ok. Here's what I think.....

First of all, online dating is a burst bubble. Look at the number of members they claim to have. Then, start looking at the profiles. Pay particular attention to the last time that member checked into the site. For the sites I've seen, nine out of ten members haven't checked into the site once in the last 3 months. So, for most of them, even if you do send them a flirt (or smile, or heart, or nudge), they're not going to know.

About the only site that still seems to be active is "Craigslist". And, if a guy answers any one of those ads, he gets an automatic, pre-written, generic, response that directs him to an "XXX-rated" pay site, where he can sit by himself and keep spending his money on nothing.

R. I. P. online dating
Nope. You've got it all wrong. It's here to stay, and is only getting more popular.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:09 AM

232 posts, read 632,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
The growing popularity of online dating means women no longer need to actively seek men - women can field multiple date requests from the comfort of their own homes. I believe this is why bars and clubs are increasingly becoming sausagefests - single women aren't going out as much today. Rather than the singles/meat markets of yore, bars and clubs are now becoming venues for groups of friends to celebrate some sort of group event - birthday parties, "girls night out" etc.

I think a lot of single women feel that its just more SAFE to meet a man online. Which ofcourse is retarded because most of those sites don't even use background checks. Also the guys on there typically have the same agenda as men at bars which is to get LAID.

What do you guys think?
I haven't done any online dating. Prefer to see in the flesh, at that moment, what the person looks like. Not a picture from years ago or of their eye, extreme close up of their lips or even face and a "curvy" discription. I have looked at a few sites that allow you to browes without making an account as well as actually making an okcupid account. For the most part, the females I see on there are mostly females that would never be at a club/bars anyway, are females that a guy would have to be extremely intoxicated and the last call given to be considered if even that. There were a few exceptions (extremely few), but for the most part those things are full of ..."grenades" without the obligatory hot chicks around them.

I do not think of myself as a pick-up artist, but I do read the stuff because it is/has been very useful. I think lots guys are now doing more "day time gaming" than before. Approaching women in their normal day to day routine. I do and it has been as good as clubbing minus paying for expensive drinks. If anything, I'd think bars/clubs are starting to have less guys because more guys are finding it easier and cheaper to....day time game. The times I do go to clubs and bars, there are still plenty of attractive women there. Yes, usually a suasage fest, same as always, but most guys get shot down off the bat, sit there and just drink doing nothing except being afraid to approach and don't offer much competition anyway. It is even entertaining just to watch this ****.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:26 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,656 times
Work, School and Social circle associations... The only three legitimate mainstream ways people find "suitable" life companions. The rest is playing catch-up when those avenues are not available to us. I only have online dating available to me (male dominated work environment, 6 years removed from college, hell grad school, and the location where I live is remote and devoid of white women [my preference] so only long distance relationships are available to me). So online it is.

Yes, it is replete with icebergs and devoid of cherries and trophies (why would they be online anyways, they're most likely able to date within the top 3 above). But then again I ain't a benefactor willing and able to pay for a trophy, so what the eff is my alternative anyways. The bars were non-starters from the get go. The likelihood of finding "life compatible" in that sausage fest is relatively just as unlikely as online, but online I don't have to deal with all the undesirable externalities associated with socializing in the local meat packing plant: smoke, noise, drunk people looking to start fights, cost of transportation, cost of drinks, cover charges, parking, blue balls for 6 hours just to end up in the same place..and most importantly..the Value of my TIME.

Recite it in your head. If it's not work, school or social affiliations, you're already playing catch up as a mating medium. Harsh but statistically true.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:30 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times
I like online dating. It is where I found my soul mate. Not at the bars.

I would not say it has ruined bars and clubs however. It has just given those who are looking for someone another avenue to meet people.

How many lasting relationships start at a bar or club anyway? All the long time couples and married couples I know were introduced to each other or met someone besides a bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships