Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 PM

324 posts, read 572,403 times

Advertisements

I'm not shallow at all. I really am not. If a man is nice to me, I'll be nice to them-regardless of how they look. If they had no nose and teeth, I'd still talk to them. I might not necessarily find them physically attractive but I will treat them the same as someone who I do find physically attractive.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yes, you are whining. As far as shallowness, that is spread around pretty well, in both men AND women. But it's neither fair nor correct to paint everyone with the same brush.

OH OKAY! I'M WHINING.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,919,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
Cheese sounds delicious. I'm not whining. Isn't this a forum? Where we state or opinions? Men are shallow. It's not about being physically attractive, it's about knowing how to respect women, even those who don't physically appeal to you. .
Oh, you hit the nail on the head.

When I moved into my house, my very unattractive male neighbor delighted in telling me that he let the previous owner suffer in a storm - that he and the other neighbors basically just laughed at her as she lost everything (she had asked them to help her put sandbags out and no one would help her).

He thought it was quite hilarious. I never forgot that.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:31 PM
SB4

46 posts, read 49,867 times
Everybody is shallow to some degree, some just more than others.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:34 PM

I think that most PEOPLE are on the shallow side. Most cannot hold a decent conversation - it's all surface-y. "How's the weather?" "Blah blah sports team, blah, blah."

Old 02-22-2011, 10:35 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,686,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I think that most PEOPLE are on the shallow side. Most cannot hold a decent conversation - it's all surface-y. "How's the weather?" "Blah blah sports team, blah, blah."
the majority of conversation is small-talk... I'm not gonna have a political or philosophical debate with someone I've just met.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

Are you talking about "fake-ness"? I don't think that's being shallow, I think it's trying to keep conversations safe and general. It's better than not saying anything at all.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:38 PM
SB4

46 posts, read 49,867 times
It's just a discussion I don't think she's really "whining" that much about it, just debating something.
I will say that guys in general are more "shallow." Men are more concerned with looks than women. I see good looking women with average or below men, but I don't see many successful men with average or below women.
I bet that the guy who does come help you with your car might be less shallow, but it's just as likely that he finds you attractive more so than the other woman.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
Are you talking about "fake-ness"? I don't think that's being shallow, I think it's trying to keep conversations safe and general. It's better than not saying anything at all.
I guess it's a combination of shallowness and fakeness - shallowness that most people are not deep thinkers - are mostly materialistic and literal thinkers, evidently and then there is the fake factor - pretending that everything is always hunky-dory and glossing over whatever is really going on.

I have a friend who says he is "amazing" when asked how he is . . . the hype factor is also an issue with some people.

It would be refreshing if you were standing in a long line for coffee, for instance, and the person ahead of you or behind you engaged you in actual conversation . . .if it could be somewhat meaningful. Don't ask me how to do this because I have not a clue, having learned that fakeness is REQUIRED in America.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB4 View Post
It's just a discussion I don't think she's really "whining" that much about it, just debating something.
I will say that guys in general are more "shallow." Men are more concerned with looks than women. I see good looking women with average or below men, but I don't see many successful men with average or below women.
I bet that the guy who does come help you with your car might be less shallow, but it's just as likely that he finds you attractive more so than the other woman.
I respect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.