Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Did you try The Home Depot or Lowes ????

Another good place to look is vegetarian or vegan restaurants.
I hang out at home depot and lowe's all the time, and while some of them have ponds in the gardening section, I've never seen any ladies bathing together in one

The vegan restaurant sounds promising, but then I might have to eat their food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
I hang out at home depot and lowe's all the time, and while some of them have ponds in the gardening section, I've never seen any ladies bathing together in one

The vegan restaurant sounds promising, but then I might have to eat their food
Try after business hours..

Old 03-30-2011, 01:12 PM

113 posts, read 195,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Unfortunately, it's enmeshed in American popular culture that they go by a rule book of what is gay and what is not. And men are very particular about it.

But the same guys give out their monologues about how much they support LGBT causes. Kind of hypocritical if you ask me.

And they want us foreign transplants to conform to their what's gay and what's not gay rule book. For example, as old as 19 years of age, me and one of my college buds would go shoulder over shoulder. Both heterosexual, yet we're being told that behaviour is gay.

Makes me wonder if American men are really insecure of being called gay or if it's a closet situation which they fear will be a giveaway.
As a bi man, I can tell you that the whole "gay and not gay" BS is insecurity at it's worst! "MANLY" men in the "manly" crowd all share certain specific commonalities, and that is the idea supporting notions that anything that isn't rough, tough, dangerous, and so forth is "gay".

This has as much to with their perception of their own self-image as well as their immature concerns about being perceived as "popular" and "macho".

Old 03-30-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking_Out_Loud View Post
As a bi man, I can tell you that the whole "gay and not gay" BS is insecurity at it's worst! "MANLY" men in the "manly" crowd all share certain specific commonalities, and that is the idea supporting notions that anything that isn't rough, tough, dangerous, and so forth is "gay".

This has as much to with their perception of their own self-image as well as their immature concerns about being perceived as "popular" and "macho".
So I think we all agree it's mainly a lack of security in one's own sexuality.......and silly stereotypes/perceptions that keep many men from being friernds with gay guys and/or to show affection between straight guys.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:32 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Sounds like they ain't being true to themselves.

I think if your gay, f7ck it, come on out, they weather is warm.

Life is short

Like they said in Shawshank Redemption.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."

Yeah but it's not the same for everyone. I came out in college because I went from a very conservative atmosphere where I had to hide who I was to a liberal one that was accepting of who I was.

People take different paths through life. I don't judge people who are still in the closet. It's hard because you have to accept being gay yourself and then have to be secure enough to not care whether other people accept it or know you'll have support. Some people don't get to that stage until they've found themselves married and with children. It's not a good situation by any means, but I blame society more so than the individual.

As far as I'm concerned, whatever people say they are, that's what they are. I'm a proponent of the Kinsey school of thought which presumes relatively few people are either 100% straight or 100% gay anyway, so labels are secondary to me.

Last edited by Bluefox; 04-02-2011 at 01:52 PM..

Old 04-02-2011, 01:47 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Now that's a good question....I too avoid pink for the same reason....even though I'm gay.

I think men today are more relaxed in their sexuality...hence the Metrosexual movement....which back in my day...they would be perceived as gay.....I rhymed...LOL...

But I remember guys using Score and Brylcreem to gel their hair back in the 1960's and that was acceptable. I guess society still picks and chooses it's derogatory stereotypes????

Metrosexual - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brylcreem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And we used to be able to say I had a gay ole time at the party last night...

But we can't say it any more can we? I wonder why?????

Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
And we used to be able to say I had a gay ole time at the party last night...

But we can't say it any more can we? I wonder why?????
You can still say that...who's stopping you.....yourself.......or what you think society might think.......

Our society sexualizes everything(and then can't deal with it's realities)....gay still means happy to me too and in all the old movies I watch.....it's all perception.

It's like the one lady complaining on the internet about how gays "stole" the rainbow and now others can't enjoy it anymore.....especially little children....frankly that's as absurd as your statement

Words and lexicon evolve.....just like the word cool......at one time it meant a temperature and later...... that you like something......it's part of life/change and not worth fighting over trivial matters and/or losing sleep over.

Gay was used to counter the unpleasant names many people called homosexuals......it has a happy connotation.....what's wrong with that....nobody "owns" words!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 PM

113 posts, read 195,551 times
BUT, people have to be able to OWN the results of using the words they use. If / when someone uses the word "gay" as a means to incite undue concern or panic, the person has committed an act of hate. When someone uses any negative term for GLBT in the spirit and intent of doing harm or causing harm to occur, including the unneeded bashing of a person's good name and reputation....it's an act of hate.

"C'mon people now, smile on your brother...everybody get together, try to love one another right now." - a famous 70s tune called "Get Together".

Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking_Out_Loud View Post
BUT, people have to be able to OWN the results of using the words they use. If / when someone uses the word "gay" as a means to incite undue concern or panic, the person has committed an act of hate. When someone uses any negative term for GLBT in the spirit and intent of doing harm or causing harm to occur, including the unneeded bashing of a person's good name and reputation....it's an act of hate.

"C'mon people now, smile on your brother...everybody get together, try to love one another right now." - a famous 70s tune called "Get Together".
ROFL.....you're preaching to the choir..

I agree, there is too much arguing over trivial matters on the internet .......and/or is it a sign of the times.

YouTube - The Youngbloods - Get Together

Old 04-06-2011, 09:45 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Hey guys. I would love to post on here but I feel there are just so many topics and posts it's hard to get a word in. I really wish CD would make a section just about gay & lesbian topics. Oy vey...
Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships