Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:00 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,403,895 times

Advertisements

if you were otherwise guaranteed all the sex partners you could ever want, financial stability, enough company, and children? You may be thinking, well eh no, duh. But aren't we told that we ae to marry only for love, and not to fulfill these peripheral needs.. PS. I don't think this is entirely a hypothetical. For most of us, yes, but not for all..

Maybe what I'm really asking is, For most of us, is marriage more of a necessity than we want to admit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 12:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
To me it is, or at least it's supposed to be, about stability, and I appreciate stability and loyalty. That's not to say I'd necessarily do it anymore, but hypothetically speaking, that's my opinion.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:13 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
I agree with Sierra. On the other hand, having been married once and burned, if it weren't for the fact I still want to be a father, maybe not. Maybe I'd just live with a woman without the piece of paper at this point. Divorce was the hardest thing I've ever been through by far. I don't know how people cope with it (the dumpees, that is). But I'm a one woman kind of guy, so I guess living with a woman without marriage, but with the commitment, would be ideal for me.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
To me it is, or at least it's supposed to be, about stability, and I appreciate stability and loyalty. That's not to say I'd necessarily do it anymore, but hypothetically speaking, that's my opinion.
I so admire those whose sense of integrity leads them down a difficult path, but they stay the course. I'm thinking of one lady in particular who passed away not long ago; she was a beauty, and I think often those are the ones that have the audacity to be so independent. But she took herself out of a marriage that had been difficult for years and into her 40's, began to build a life for herself. She had no real education but she was bright and strong and genuine and made her way in the world alone.. I miss her..

I think more of us than would like to admit it do not have such courage as this..

Old 02-27-2011, 12:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
While you cannot discount the practical nature of marriage for those "necessities" you mentioned, marriage to me is so much bigger than that.

Marriage was never meant to be just a contract between two parties that benefits them each.

Marriage, when done right, is a solemn and binding relationship of exquisite intimacy and committment. It feeds the soul as well as it feeds the body.

Even if all other needs were being met without a marriage, marriage would still always be important to me for encountering the most sublime of relationships.

For a true marriage is the meeting of two minds, two hearts and two souls in such a fashion as to meld together over time so that eventually you cannot tell where one ends and the other begins

Old 02-27-2011, 12:22 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,304 times
If you are married respect your vows. If you don't want to do that then divorce. That is my take on it

Old 02-27-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
While you cannot discount the practical nature of marriage for those "necessities" you mentioned, marriage to me is so much bigger than that.

Marriage was never meant to be just a contract between two parties that benefits them each.

Marriage, when done right, is a solemn and binding relationship of exquisite intimacy and committment. It feeds the soul as well as it feeds the body.

Even if all other needs were being met without a marriage, marriage would still always be important to me for encountering the most sublime of relationships.

For a true marriage is the meeting of two minds, two hearts and two souls in such a fashion as to meld together over time so that eventually you cannot tell where one ends and the other begins

Agreed on all counts. But I have also found these outside of holy wedlock.. I don't think I'm alone..

Old 02-27-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I agree with Sierra. On the other hand, having been married once and burned, if it weren't for the fact I still want to be a father, maybe not. Maybe I'd just live with a woman without the piece of paper at this point. Divorce was the hardest thing I've ever been through by far. I don't know how people cope with it (the dumpees, that is). But I'm a one woman kind of guy, so I guess living with a woman without marriage, but with the commitment, would be ideal for me.
Sorry to hear you're in pain. I've, many of us have been there. Be glad, you probably are, that you have no kids with your ex. On that note, how stigmatized would you feel if you were to have kids without the piece of paper? Would it bother you that your kids would be "bastards"?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:26 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
if you were otherwise guaranteed all the sex partners you could ever want, financial stability, enough company, and children? You may be thinking, well eh no, duh. But aren't we told that we ae to marry only for love, and not to fulfill these peripheral needs.. PS. I don't think this is entirely a hypothetical. For most of us, yes, but not for all..

Maybe what I'm really asking is, For most of us, is marriage more of a necessity than we want to admit?
Forgive me for sounding trite, but to me, I would not want to live in a world where I did not have someone to share my good times and bad, in sickness in healthy, to love honor and obey, till death us do part!

Life is about making that connection, mutual experiences and making that kind of connection. Without marriage, to me at least, life would be meaningless.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Forgive me for sounding trite, but to me, I would not want to live in a world where I did not have someone to share my good times and bad, in sickness in healthy, to love honor and obey, till death us do part!

Life is about making that connection, mutual experiences and making that kind of connection. Without marriage, to me at least, life would be meaningless.

20yrsinBranson
You COULD (maybe) have someone to share all your good times and bad, without the piece of paper.. No?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships