Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:17 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times

Advertisements

Do women draw a specific distinction between feelings of romantic non-physical and physical love, for their boyfriends/husbands? If so, how exactly is this dilineated? For example, when are they more likely to have tender emotional feelings for affection and care for their partner, and when just the physical feelings alone?

Or is it all lumped into a single, combined romantic physical and non-physical feeling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:19 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Knight, you can't figure everything out before you go there. You're gonna have to accept the fact, that in order for you to understand love, you're gonna have to fall into it first. Why do you keep asking these crazy questions?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:27 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I don't understand what you mean by "romantic non-physical love."

Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't understand what you mean by "romantic non-physical love."
Sorry, I should have clarified earlier -- by that I mean feelings of romantic affection and love, but that aren't inherently "physical" in nature.

ETA: As a guy, I can consciously separate the physical from the non-physical attraction I have for someone that I like romantically. I just wasn't sure how this process works though for the female gender.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:32 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
Is it about "just cuddling" and talking versus wanting "more?"

Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified earlier -- by that I mean feelings of romantic affection and love, but that aren't inherently "physical" in nature.

ETA: As a guy, I can consciously separate the physical from the non-physical attraction I have for someone that I like romantically. I just wasn't sure how this process works though for the female gender.
Hmm, I don't know, then. I can separate feelings of desire (lust) from affection and tenderness (love), but I don't foster affectionate, tender feelings for anyone but my husband--at least not of the same type. My love for my children, parents, friends, fellow man, etc., are different. I wouldn't have romantic feelings for someone I wasn't attracted to. Romance involves physical attraction, in my opinion. I love my mother and have fondness and affection for her, but my feelings are not romantic. Romance moves toward a goal of physical culmination.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:

The process "works" differently for everyone. You shouldn't assume that all women process ANYTHING the same way.

That said, I don't think I ever have had feelings that I would call "physical love". I love. Or I don't. I don't just love someone physically...or romantically. It's all or nuthin. Physical attraction? Yeah, of course. But physical LOVE? I don't get it.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Is it about "just cuddling" and talking versus wanting "more?"
Yes, cuddling (in a PG-rated manner, lol) could be one example of non-physical love. Also talking, as in using affectionate words, saying "ILY", etc. And behaving in a "loving" and caring manner; being gentle and kind to one's partner. All of which seem to be inheretly different, than physical love alone per se.

Again the purpose of this post, was to see how ladies distinguish between one form of love for their romantic partner, and the other. For example, is it something that occurs consciously to them? Unconsciously? Or no real distinction for them, between the two forms of love?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, cuddling (in a PG-rated manner, lol) could be one example of non-physical love. Also talking, as in using affectionate words, saying "ILY", etc. And behaving in a "loving" and caring manner; being gentle and kind to one's partner. All of which seem to be inheretly different, than physical love per se.

Again the purpose of this post, was to see how ladies distinguish between one form of love for their romantic partner, and the other. For example, is it something that occurs consciously to them? Unconsciously? Or no real distinction for them, between the two forms of love?
I have never heard anyone speak of "two forms of love", for their partner. Where do you get this from?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Hmm, I don't know, then. I can separate feelings of desire (lust) from affection and tenderness (love), but I don't foster affectionate, tender feelings for anyone but my husband--at least not of the same type. My love for my children, parents, friends, fellow man, etc., are different. I wouldn't have romantic feelings for someone I wasn't attracted to. Romance involves physical attraction, in my opinion. I love my mother and have fondness and affection for her, but my feelings are not romantic. Romance moves toward a goal of physical culmination.
Thanks for sharing...interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships