Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times

Advertisements

After divorcing, I began solo trips and prefer it now! In fact, I have not been on any trip OTHER THAN solo in 5-6 years.

No discussions needed about when and where to eat, what to see and do. You can really concentrate on the activity, view etc as there is no need to keep up conversation with anyone. I once tried the going-solo-but-with-a-travel-group but did not enjoy.....there are websites for solo travel-check it out.

People will go out of their way to be helpful if they know you are traveling alone. There are some you do not want to know...choose carefully who you engage while traveling!

Hope you try this...start with a weekend trip to somewhere fairly close to home, see how it goes. If you like it, then there are no limits! It is an extraordinary freedom, a gift to yourself!!

Safe travels!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 05:56 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,062,260 times
Never done it but I would LOVE to! I think my husband would be insulted but I REALLY, REALLY want to rent a condo for a week at the beach and just relax and enjoy my solitude.

We keep talking about buying a beach or lake house and I'm all for it! "Honey, I have to go do some redecorating at the vacation house...I'll be back in a week"

Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,206 times
I've done it on numerous occasions and it worked out just fine until the last time when it rained the entire time.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:08 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,455 times
I need to decide where to go. i want to take a vacation by myself or with a friend (not a girlfriend, just a buddy) in June.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,327 times
I would love to try this out, starting close to home first and then branching out. Single people need vacations too, and not everyone has a single friend that wants to or can take a friend-cation with them. I think it would be a great exercise in putting all your distractions aside and getting to know yourself.

My only apprehension would be going to unstable countries, or countries where women aren't as safe and/or don't have the same legal rights as men. I think I would find that too risky to do alone.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
My only apprehension would be going to unstable countries, or countries where women aren't as safe and/or don't have the same legal rights as men. I think I would find that too risky to do alone.
Well, yeah, there are some limitations... I don't drive stick shift and I'm afraid of driving in foreign countries even if I do shell out the money for an automatic car. Sometimes they may not even be available. Also, long drives are best shared anywhere. However, I can park my tushie on any beach and drink my pina colada just fine!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:21 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
However, I can park my tushie on any beach and drink my pina colada just fine!
Amen, sister!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Yeah, it's a blast! Seeing new places, meeting new people...
Not just these!!! You can learn a lot of things , PHOTOes , many beautiful place can make you feel "the world is so great!!!"

Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Smile Great responses!

Thank you!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,339,579 times
I love traveling by myself. In fact, I recently went on a four night cruise with a friend and by that fourth day I was craving some alone time. I went to Australia by myself last year and had the best vacation ever. I'm heading to Hawaii in April by myself for some scuba diving, helicopter riding, and beach time.

I've taken six cruises by myself (not singles cruises, just the regular kind) and loved them all. I met the nicest people, including one who is now a Facebook friend. It's nice to have a cabin all to myself, be able to come and go as I please and just do whatever I want.

Would I enjoy traveling with a significant other? Sure I would - my ex-fiance and I had some wonderful vacations together but now that I'm not in a relationship why should I give up travel, which is something I love to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships