Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,601,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
My SO and I were having this discussion last night. We met at 38, we're engaged but probably won't be married until 41-42. We both agreed that the best part of dating at this age is knowing what you want, what you will and won't put up with...the complete opposite of settling. He's a bachelor, and said he's never had that burning need to find someone and married. He is quite content with his life and who he is, but he's also ecstatic to have found someone that complements his life so well that he wants to make that commitment and share our life together.

For people who are afraid to be alone, perhaps they might settle, but that occurs at any age. I am so much more secure in myself and my life and have no tolerance for crap, so the last thing I would do at 40 is settle for someone I don't 100% want to be with.
Couldn't rep again but I agree completely. He's a bachelor also and didn't want to be married in his 20's or just didn't find the right person. I got married in my early 30's because it was the next logical step and peer pressure but not because it's what I truly wanted.

It's true you learn more what you want and don't want at this stage of the game. You realize all the superficial and meaningless things you couldn't overlook in a person in your 20's doesn't mean a thing when you approach 40. People do settle at any age. Because there are insecure people who are not comfortable enough in their own skin to be content with themselves and their own company all over the spectrum. I would much rather be alone then spend another day, month or year wasting it with the wrong person, regardless of how old I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 10:56 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,290,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Couldn't rep again but I agree completely. He's a bachelor also and didn't want to be married in his 20's or just didn't find the right person. I got married in my early 30's because it was the next logical step and peer pressure but not because it's what I truly wanted.

It's true you learn more what you want and don't want at this stage of the game. You realize all the superficial and meaningless things you couldn't overlook in a person in your 20's doesn't mean a thing when you approach 40. People do settle at any age. Because there are insecure people who are not comfortable enough in their own skin to be content with themselves and their own company all over the spectrum. I would much rather be alone then spend another day, month or year wasting it with the wrong person, regardless of how old I am.
I got married when I was 21. My SO has never been married. In my opinion, it is at this age that you do not have to settle. For myself, at this age, I was not willing to settle....at all.

I think in the very beginning, you can pretty much tell whether you will/will not work with someone, and there is no reason prolonging it if you wont.

I went out with plenty of men who were nice enough, handsome enough, set in life enough, whatever enough. None of them were enough of what I was looking for.

Hell, I don't even think I even knew what I was looking for until I decided to look outside of the box of what I had been looking at or for.

I figured if I kept looking at all of the same type and none of them were for me, I may as well look at something different. When I did that, I saw what I had been missing my whole adult life.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 AM

92 posts, read 108,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
women reach their sexual peak in their mid 30's.
Genital prime occurs when a person has fully developed sexual organs and are most fertile. This occurs during adolescence and shortly after for both men and women.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,008,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salami-rules View Post
That's disgusting to know. Have fun picturing your mom having sex with your dad at really old age. Me? I will continue to have sex with hookers, cause they are really good at sex and young and attractive. The last part counts the most.
Hmmmm..... I said ignorance didn't I? Lets see what Wikipedia has to say about it....................

Ignorance
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).[1] The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware and is used to describe individuals who deliberately ignore or disregard important information or facts. Ignoramus is commonly used in the US, the UK, and Ireland as a term for someone who is willfully ignorant.

The consequence of ignorance is that individuals with superficial knowledge of a topic or subject may be worse off than people who know absolutely nothing. As Charles Darwin observed, "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."[4]

Ignorance can stifle learning, in that a person who falsely believes he or she is knowledgeable will not seek out clarification of his or her beliefs, but rather rely on his or her ignorant position. He or she may also reject valid but contrary information, neither realizing its importance nor understanding it. This concept is elucidated in Justin Kruger's and David Dunning's work, "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments," otherwise known as the Dunning–Kruger effect....................

That is what Wikipedia says on the subject. I used this term to describe you because I believe it to be accurate and a statement of fact which is allowed by the terms of service on this website.

This last only helps clarify that further because you have failed to understand what should have been clear if you had been listening. My parents are both gone now so I can only picture in my mind what they once were. They loved each other completely and gave everything, withheld nothing. They showered that same love on me and in it was probably the greatest lesson I ever learned. While they did not cavort in the front room they did not hide sex or that they were sexual creatures and they encouraged this expression of love in their children. The thought that they are looking down right now after a fresh roll in the hay warms my heart. What saddens me is that I have the feeling as I type this that you will never understand what I just wrote.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:59 PM

17,620 posts, read 22,575,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I fear cougars, they have really sharp claws and very big teeth.....

Some Cougars are pretty friendly & nice...

Old 10-18-2012, 01:44 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,680,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Some Cougars are pretty friendly & nice...

Meow

(sorry. . . I couldn't resist )

Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,290,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Meow

LOL. I was thinking something more like....RWAAAAAAAR! lol

Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Meow

Old 10-18-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
LOL. I was thinking something more like....RWAAAAAAAR! lol

Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,875,114 times
The obvious answer is both Mr not so Perfect and Salami Rules because he can't get anything else should date each other. It is obvious neither one really likes women and the women they desire would never date them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships