U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-08-2011, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Texas
226 posts, read 262,100 times
Reputation: 142

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
If the reason they won't is because they feel other races are beneath them, then, yes something is wrong with that. What is the reason you feel that way? Also, how can you guarantee what your family will do? Wouldn't you rather your family members find someone with the same interests and values regardless of race?
Sorry, but this isn't about me or my family. That's my business. The OP ask a question and I answered it. Don't like it? Too bad.

 
Old 03-08-2011, 03:16 PM
 
30 posts, read 42,361 times
Reputation: 42
Turbodiesel i respect your honesty.
 
Old 03-08-2011, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Texas
226 posts, read 262,100 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
Turbodiesel i respect your honesty.
Thank you. I appreciate that.
 
Old 03-08-2011, 03:25 PM
 
Location: state of procrastination
3,458 posts, read 3,649,818 times
Reputation: 2722
To be honest - I'm afraid my mixed babies are going to come out looking like aliens. I'm comfortable with generations of inbreeding.
 
Old 03-08-2011, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Where Dance Music comes first
1,863 posts, read 1,410,769 times
Reputation: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
To be honest - I'm afraid my mixed babies are going to come out looking like aliens. I'm comfortable with generations of inbreeding.
Miyu, I respect your honesty.
 
Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 PM
 
2,549 posts, read 1,498,584 times
Reputation: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It's funny you say this... I'm from Boston, as is my best friend and his girlfriend. They're an interracial couple (he's black, she's white) and I generally date outside my race, which attracted a lot of often-adverse attention when we were in school.

We came to the consensus that, in the greater Boston area, being "mixed" means one of two things:

- Having a black dad and a white mom
- Being half Irish, half Italian
Too funny. I know a few Bostonians, Chicagoans and New Yorkers of the Italian variety and a few witrh the same mix as me. And why not? BTW, since the labels are so general, having a black dad and a white mom, could be as varied as an Ethiopian with a Norwegian, or a South African with an Armenian or a Nigerian with a German. All those cultures are quite different but technically describe black and white.
 
Old 03-08-2011, 03:34 PM
 
2,549 posts, read 1,498,584 times
Reputation: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
interesting debate i asked because i wondered how people really felt about it and am seeing honest answers, everyone says they have no problem with it but to be honest if you have a daughter i could see why you would want them to bring home or marry someone of her own race.I personally dont have any kids yet but i ask myself being a proud black man if i had a daughter and she brought home a white man how would i feel.To be honest i dont really know, sure the correct thing to say would be it doesnt matter but i really dont know i could go both ways.
You are right MB. One really never knows until in the scenario.
 
Old 03-08-2011, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
8,194 posts, read 6,470,875 times
Reputation: 8482
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodiesel4x4 View Post
Thank you. I appreciate that.
I respect your honesty, too, even if I totally don't agree with you.

The way I look at it, we all have our preferences. These preferences are ours, and we owe no one an explanation for them; it's just plain not anyone else's business.

I have friends who can't imagine dating outside their own race and who just plain don't find people of another race attractive. That's absolutely fine; they don't think any less of me for the fact I don't stick within "my own."

That's what's funny... I'm blonde haired, fair-skinned, blue eyed, 6'2, mostly Scandanavian descended, military family. My dad (the military guy) is from the South originally, as are most of his family... but... my grandma is Asian. So, I'm white for all intents and purposes, and was raised as such... so, that's what I identify as. I'm way proud of my Swedish heritage and of my American nationality, but since my dad identified as white and that's how I was raised, I'm white, too.

So, what would my "kind" be then?
 
Old 03-08-2011, 05:12 PM
 
Location: USA
1,769 posts, read 1,287,623 times
Reputation: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I respect your honesty, too, even if I totally don't agree with you.

The way I look at it, we all have our preferences. These preferences are ours, and we owe no one an explanation for them; it's just plain not anyone else's business.

I have friends who can't imagine dating outside their own race and who just plain don't find people of another race attractive. That's absolutely fine; they don't think any less of me for the fact I don't stick within "my own."

That's what's funny... I'm blonde haired, fair-skinned, blue eyed, 6'2, mostly Scandanavian descended, military family. My dad (the military guy) is from the South originally, as are most of his family... but... my grandma is Asian. So, I'm white for all intents and purposes, and was raised as such... so, that's what I identify as. I'm way proud of my Swedish heritage and of my American nationality, but since my dad identified as white and that's how I was raised, I'm white, too.

So, what would my "kind" be then?
To be honest, I don't even know why this thread is still going. Rather useless at this point.
 
Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
23,932 posts, read 20,256,537 times
Reputation: 11211
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodiesel4x4 View Post
Won't happen. I don't have children.

I can guarantee you no one in my family will race mix. Is there something wrong with that?
What are you gonna do, threaten to take their race card away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top