Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:55 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times

Advertisements

How do each of you and both of you make it a success?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 11:55 AM

499 posts, read 891,647 times
i wonder, too =)

Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
We LOVE each other, are of the same age/generation, 90% same interests/hobbies, she loves my humor/we laugh a lot AND she loves my cooking. And, while I'm unemployed, I vaccum, run the dishwasher and do the laundry. We are in our early 60's.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:14 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,986 times
Yes!!!

That's not to say that we don't have our challenges, but there is so much love, humor and kindness in our relationship. I am so lucky, and with any luck he would describe himself the same way!

I think humor is one of the most important things for us. We make each other laugh and he just makes me smile.

Oddly we are thinking of seeing a couple's therapist because we just can't seem to make a decision on kids. I lean towards having them, he leans towards not having them, but neither of us is absolute in our view.... although I am feeling more strongly about it as time passes. Having been married for 8.5 years we just don't seem to be able to make a decision by ourselves. But while this issue is a frustration for both of us, we are so happy in every other area that it I just feel we can get through anything as a team.

My Mom's advice was to always tell your partner when you are thinking something good about them, and I always try to do that. I think that definitely helps.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:16 PM

532 posts, read 1,176,714 times
We compliment each others' strength and weaknesses, and make each other better people

Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Yes!!!

That's not to say that we don't have our challenges, but there is so much love, humor and kindness in our relationship. I am so lucky, and with any luck he would describe himself the same way!

I think humor is one of the most important things for us. We make each other laugh and he just makes me smile.

Oddly we are thinking of seeing a couple's therapist because we just can't seem to make a decision on kids. I lean towards having them, he leans towards not having them, but neither of us is absolute in our view.... although I am feeling more strongly about it as time passes. Having been married for 8.5 years we just don't seem to be able to make a decision by ourselves. But while this issue is a frustration for both of us, we are so happy in every other area that it I just feel we can get through anything as a team.

My Mom's advice was to always tell your partner when you are thinking something good about them, and I always try to do that. I think that definitely helps.
this is one of the best advices about a marriage and any relation

Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
We forgive each other whenever necessary (sometimes more than once a day!).

We are commited to looking at ourselves as teammates, not competitors.

We laugh a lot, at ourselves among other things.

We always provide a soft place for the other to fall.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:22 PM

i believe that i'll be very happy in my marriage because these are all my characteristics sometimes i believe that i was created to make my husband happy. lol

Old 03-03-2011, 12:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
1. Having a sense of humor goes a long way.

2. You have to genuinely like the other person.

3. Give each other enough leash so they don't feel smothered.

4. Encourage each another to be better people.

5. Never let the relationship get stagnant, keep growing together.

6. Look at them with the eyes you had when you first met them.

7. Accept their flaws.

8. Practice selflessness in the relationship.

(Met in December 2004, Married in August 2008 - so far so good)...

Old 03-03-2011, 12:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
1. Having a sense of humor goes a long way.

2. You have to genuinely like the other person.

3. Give each other enough leash so they don't feel smothered.

4. Encourage each another to be better people.

5. Never let the relationship get stagnant, keep growing together.

6. Look at them with the eyes you had when you first met them.

7. Accept their flaws.

8. Practice selflessness in the relationship.

This is SO true! Easier said than done, but for those who do it the payoff is huge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships