Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tall women, would you date or marry a short man?
Yes 51 53.13%
No 45 46.88%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:01 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Lots of people where I live have tattoos, I think it has more to do with my height and looks than my tattoos.

I don't have any problems with tattoos, what exactly do you mean about your looks? I get that you're above average in height, but I'm curious about your looks because you look normal to me.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:07 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I don't have any problems with tattoos, what exactly do you mean about your looks? I get that you're above average in height, but I'm curious about your looks because you look normal to me.
I'm not exactly attractive, the picture in my profile was taken many man years ago and honestly the reasons I chose it (and kept it for this long!) is because it doesn't even look like me. It was just taken at a great angle on a good hair day

Regardless, I know I'm not every guy's cup of tea, especially when there are much more attractive women out there. I'm hoping that my luck will change, but I'm not necessarily counting on it.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Happy early birthday!

And awesome Spaceballs reference, by the way. I had a sticker on my car that said 'I've gone to plaid!' for a long time
Thanks! You too!

I was going to put a plaid reference instead of what I got, but i wasn't sure if anyone would even get it. lol
Of course you got it, and I'm not the least bit suprised.

Quote:
I'm not exactly attractive, the picture in my profile was taken many man years ago and honestly the reasons I chose it (and kept it for this long!) is because it doesn't even look like me. It was just taken at a great angle on a good hair day

What's that? Is that like counting dog years or something? lol

Old 11-18-2012, 12:32 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:

You're very pretty though, and that may be why. I have a few girlfriends that are above 6' and the pretty ones get chased by guys and their height seems to be a plus, but the unattractive ones get publicly humiliated. If I was 5'5 I'd be decidedly average in looks, but as a taller woman I'm far below average.

I've been in situations where a guy has rejected me telling me I'm too tall only to turn around and hit on my friend who is the same height.
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm pretty average looking. I just wear a lot of makeup. I wasn't always thin either. I never really made the moves on anyone, so maybe that's why I never experienced that. (My not making the moves on men probably stemmed from my assuming they wouldn't be interested because of my height/looks. My attitude was if they're interested, they'll let me know. )

I hope you have a far better experience in Boston...and I believe you will. My brother in law and his husband live up there, so we visit on occasion...we'll have to do drinks! My husband is buying!!!!!

Old 11-18-2012, 05:11 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Shockingly, celebrities are also a poor representation of typical human behavior. I imagine, yes, most couples of all levels of fame consist of a shorter woman with a taller man. This does not mean that it's our "brain chemistry" to seek such a pairing and does not mean that any god of any religion has deemed this the law of the land.

What it does mean is that the average man is taller than the average woman so statistics dictate you're more likely to find love with someone who fits this norm not because they fit it, but because there are just more out there that do. If you're a very tall woman or a very short man, you're more likely to find love with someone who doesn't fit the standard simply because there are fewer potential mates in the world that do.

It also means that our society has set this social norm which we may grow up believing is the way things are supposed to be and avoid deviating from the norm, but really this standard is completely arbitrary, as meaningless as our impression that women should have long hair and men should have short hair. There's nothing inherently masculine or feminine in hair length, we are just accustomed to an image presented to us and there's no inherent reason a man should be taller than his mate. Height or the lack there of is not a secondary sexual trait.
Never in a dating site I have read that women want a guy a shorter then them. They want a tall guy and it says on it also.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Thanks! You too!

I was going to put a plaid reference instead of what I got, but i wasn't sure if anyone would even get it. lol
Of course you got it, and I'm not the least bit suprised.

What's that? Is that like counting dog years or something? lol
Ugh, I think I was typing on my phone and I'm not used to the keyboard yet...lots of spelling errors will abound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm pretty average looking. I just wear a lot of makeup. I wasn't always thin either. I never really made the moves on anyone, so maybe that's why I never experienced that. (My not making the moves on men probably stemmed from my assuming they wouldn't be interested because of my height/looks. My attitude was if they're interested, they'll let me know. )

I hope you have a far better experience in Boston...and I believe you will. My brother in law and his husband live up there, so we visit on occasion...we'll have to do drinks! My husband is buying!!!!!
I've seen your pictures, you can't pull that 'average' stuff on me

I'd love to have drinks! I'm so excited about leaving....10 days and counting!

Old 11-18-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Never in a dating site I have read that women want a guy a shorter then them. They want a tall guy and it says on it also.
And I've never seen a guy say they prefer a woman taller than they are, but a lot of them said they preferred 'short, petite, thin, fit, slim' etc. women.

When I was trying out online dating, I didn't list all of my preferences either.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:39 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
And, as I said, the Internet is far from indicative of typical human behavior. Most people would also tell you that they don't want a fat man/woman but that hasn't held back the 66% of the population that is.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:39 PM

855 posts, read 1,384,541 times
Quote:
From my experience, it's usually the men who have a much larger issue dating women 'bigger' than they are (weight, height or both) than women do dating men who are smaller than them. They may not vocalize it as much, but it's definitely there.
JetJockey, I have a really hard time believing you but I can see where you are coming from, somewhat. From my experience it's always, always, always, the tall women who have serious reservations against dating shorter men. You can't deny it either. There's more excuses concocted by taller women in this society against dating shorter guys. Here are some that are reaffirmed daily by society and popular opinion.

Not being able to wear heels, feeling less protected with a smaller guy, feeling less feminine with a smaller guy, feeling like a mom/sister/aunt/babysitter/with a child on her arm. Oh, and don't forget about Short-Man-Syndrome/Napoleon Complex. This one is most common with taller people and just about anyone else taller who feels threatened by a shorter person who strives to live a better. Ambitious, dedicated, educated, goal-orientated short men are threats to society. Tall people don't like it so you your way of saving face and feeling better about yourself is to stamp negatives on the shorter guy.

Put it this way. You will never have your womanhood stripped from you by virtue of your height. It never happens. As a matter of fact, you are given immediate respect as a woman, an adult, a grown-up. Short guys have to deal with having their manhood stripped. The result is a vicious cycle of names. Little boy, runt, dwarf, shrimp, pipsqueak, smallfry, half-man or quarter-of-man.

I'm sorry JetJockey, but I just can't sympathize with tall women. Not when the world is handed to you silver spoon every day because you have height. I can understand how some tall women have difficulties in the dating world. They are usually the ones who complain about the lack of single available men but really you tall ladies are only speaking in tongues for the tall guys. Shorter guys don't count or qualify in your world of tall men so us being available is redundant. Tall women only have dating difficulties if they chase after the same tall guys that the shorter girls are chasing after.

If you've opened up your mind and allowed yourself to look past a shorter guy's height, good on ya. If you're waiting in vain for a tall, dark and hansome prince, keep waiting!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
JetJockey, I have a really hard time believing you but I can see where you are coming from, somewhat. From my experience it's always, always, always, the tall women who have serious reservations against dating shorter men. You can't deny it either. There's more excuses concocted by taller women in this society against dating shorter guys. Here are some that are reaffirmed daily by society and popular opinion.

Not being able to wear heels, feeling less protected with a smaller guy, feeling less feminine with a smaller guy, feeling like a mom/sister/aunt/babysitter/with a child on her arm. Oh, and don't forget about Short-Man-Syndrome/Napoleon Complex. This one is most common with taller people and just about anyone else taller who feels threatened by a shorter person who strives to live a better. Ambitious, dedicated, educated, goal-orientated short men are threats to society. Tall people don't like it so you your way of saving face and feeling better about yourself is to stamp negatives on the shorter guy.

Put it this way. You will never have your womanhood stripped from you by virtue of your height. It never happens. As a matter of fact, you are given immediate respect as a woman, an adult, a grown-up. Short guys have to deal with having their manhood stripped. The result is a vicious cycle of names. Little boy, runt, dwarf, shrimp, pipsqueak, smallfry, half-man or quarter-of-man.

I'm sorry JetJockey, but I just can't sympathize with tall women. Not when the world is handed to you silver spoon every day because you have height. I can understand how some tall women have difficulties in the dating world. They are usually the ones who complain about the lack of single available men but really you tall ladies are only speaking in tongues for the tall guys. Shorter guys don't count or qualify in your world of tall men so us being available is redundant. Tall women only have dating difficulties if they chase after the same tall guys that the shorter girls are chasing after.

If you've opened up your mind and allowed yourself to look past a shorter guy's height, good on ya. If you're waiting in vain for a tall, dark and hansome prince, keep waiting!
A silver spoon? Yeah, having people call me sasquatch and strangers pointing laughing and mimicking Godzilla is really having the world handed to me on a silver spoon

Yes, I've had my womanhood stripped of me on several occasions, especially when people have asked me if I'm post op or pre-op (referring to sex change operations) or when people ask me if I'm a drag queen. How about men that tell me they could never date a woman who is bigger than they are because it's too masculine? Even on this board I've been told any woman over 5'6 is too 'manly' to be considered attractive.

I've been rejected sooooo many times by men who have told me I'm too tall for them, and some of them have been 6" or more taller than me. So quit thinking that being a tall woman is all rainbows and unicorn farts. We both have our share of issues. The last guy that rejected me was 5'7 compared to my 6'1. He told me I looked like a 'linebacker' and he wasn't into that.

I 'chase' after whoever I like, regardless of height, and I've found that the shorter men are very quick to reject me based solely on my height even when I make the move to ask them out first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships