Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 02:52 PM

433 posts, read 1,369,931 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering this today. I barely have anything to talk about. People talk about what they've done with friends and it gives them more experiences and more stuff to talk about. I'm just starting to make friends and socialize better, so that gives me less to talk about.

I thought maybe I could make up for this by joking around alot? Not too much to the point where I'm annoying, but just so people could see me as more interesting. I could then maybe get invited to hang out, but I'll still talk about stuff. I thought about this because I know a guy who wasn't much of a talker, but he joked around, goofing off, maybe to be more interesting and be more noticed. Imean, I sure noticed, so maybe it could work with me?

What do you guys think? Can't it help me make friends? I won't be faking it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 02:54 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
I was just wondering this today. I barely have anything to talk about. People talk about what they've done with friends and it gives them more experiences and more stuff to talk about. I'm just starting to make friends and socialize better, so that gives me less to talk about.

I thought maybe I could make up for this by joking around alot? Not too much to the point where I'm annoying, but just so people could see me as more interesting. I could then maybe get invited to hang out, but I'll still talk about stuff. I thought about this because I know a guy who wasn't much of a talker, but he joked around, goofing off, maybe to be more interesting and be more noticed. Imean, I sure noticed, so maybe it could work with me?

What do you guys think? Can't it help me make friends? I won't be faking it though.
No. Don't try to mask or "cover" for your inexperience by being something you're not.

Don't put on a "show" for people. If it's out of your character why would you do that to compensate?

Old 03-03-2011, 02:59 PM

433 posts, read 1,369,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
No. Don't try to mask or "cover" for your inexperience by being something you're not.

Don't put on a "show" for people. If it's out of your character why would you do that to compensate?
What I mean is, I'm going to do this as a way of changing myself. It won't be a one-day or temporary thing.

I haven't done this before because I was too shy to do funny stuff. But now maybe I can start being more sociable/funny/noticeable.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:01 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,924,609 times
Make up for being less talkative by being a joker?

Like this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va5bx...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXZQ0HAoU1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8uzd...eature=related

Old 03-03-2011, 03:09 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,431 times
Quote:

This post gave me the laughs...
Desperate much?
Sorry but I don't think joking around a lot and being someone other than yourself will help you win over friends.... what next smoking in order to hang out with the cool smokers? Doing drugs because everyone else is doing it and you want to be feel included?

Old 03-03-2011, 03:12 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,015 times
some people are quiet. i am (believe it or not )

when im one on one with a person, i talk more - i can talk hubbys ears off, for example, but put me around multiple people, even people I know fairly well, and I'm darn near a mute

Theres nothing wrong with being quiet, as long as you still have decent social skills. talking a lot, does not equal decent social skills (no one likes the person who never shuts up and always has to be the center of attention)

Old 03-03-2011, 03:15 PM

128 posts, read 208,132 times
Quote:

Instead of going that route, go out and gain experiences. Take up a hobby. Also, read the news paper and watch the news. This will put you up on pop culture, local politics, various controversies taking place and just what's happening in the world. You can joke around with people, but you want to be well rounded. You want to be able to integrate yourself in a variety of settings with all types of people.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:16 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Are you a naturally clever, funny person? It's not a bad thing to play up your strengths, but if it's too forced you'll end up looking obnoxious.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:16 PM

128 posts, read 208,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
some people are quiet. i am (believe it or not )

when im one on one with a person, i talk more - i can talk hubbys ears off, for example, but put me around multiple people, even people I know fairly well, and I'm darn near a mute

Theres nothing wrong with being quiet, as long as you still have decent social skills. talking a lot, does not equal decent social skills (no one likes the person who never shuts up and always has to be the center of attention)
The bolded is so true. Some people talk out of nervousness and even shyness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships