Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:22 PM

90 posts, read 153,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
2. You have never met the daughters and yet you hate them so much you want to "make them wish they were never born". Why? Why would you be so hateful? Well, could it be because THEIR OWN FATHER has painted them out to be stone-cold b******* -- why? What does that say about HIS character? Who wouldn't defend his own children to the death against anything said about them? What kind of father is this?
So parents should just accept that kind of behavior from their kids no matter how bad it is? What kind of children is this who are more concerned about a new car than their father dying? Give me a break, this guy is dying and his daughters couldn't care less.

It's amazing that people paint out the the father as the bad guy here despite him dying, + having to battle a divorce and having spoiled kids who are more concerned about a new car than their father having cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Dad needs to make his final arrangements just to be safe and not leave them a dime.

I would leave them all high and dry.

#1. I'd move out of the house and get my own place.

#2. Have an attorney draw up separation papers.

#3. Stop being the gravy train for adult children.

#4. Stop catering to every whim of the soon to be ex wife.

#5. They would be forbidden to visit me in the hospital.

#6. I would do everything in my power to keep their negative energy away from me while I'm undergoing the fight of my life.

Sad situation.

I hope the man is strong enough to take a stand.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:59 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
Seems YOU jumped to conclusions! She is NOT entitled to 1/2 of EVERYTHING. She is ONLY entitled to 1/2 of what was accumulated DURING THE MARRIAGE (not before the marriage)

You must be one of those divorced wives that took your husband to the cleaners.

But hey.... that wasn't the "just" of my post. I was referring to kicking a person when their life is at an all time low.
Aquired and accumulated are the same thing, and the divorce laws are designed to protect each party in the event of a dissolution....and no, I've never divorced. Been married to the same sweetie for 30 yrs.

But, if anyone decided to attack my family/kids in a public forum I'd kick them into next week!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:26 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Default Young adult 20 something daughters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Casual observer question: How can a wife put a husband in credit card debt without his knowledge???
By using their credit card and hiding the bills. Yeah, it happens.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:36 PM

Default Young adult 20 something daughters

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Unless something has changed he is not responsible for her debt from the time of seperation which is when the divorce is filed with the court. At that point he need only maintain the current property up to the time the judge swings the gavel where the division of property as outlined in the property settlement takes effect. Nor is he responsible for debt from a grown child or can be forced to sign for a loan that he does not wish to sign to sign for.

I also made the leap that you are having an affair with this man which may be unfair but right or wrong it is the impression I got from your post.

A thought in general to the others that posted, it only takes one bad parent to spoil a child. Anyone who is old enough to have raised children to adulthood has seen it somewhere amongst family or friends. Lots of judgements being made here. Too many.
it only takes one bad parent to spoil a child. I agree! If one parent decides to spoil a child, there isn't much the other parent can do about it except leave the marriage, and that doesn't really solve anything. As far as the debt is concerned, I suspect he will be responsible for all the debt unless he can prove she made it after papers were filed. She is going to lie on the witness stand to make herself look good, and usually the court is going to believe her unless he can prove otherwise. He isn't responsible for an adult child's debt unless he agreed to pay it, and he probably did. Sounds like he doesn't have a lot of back bone. But, we are only hearing one side of the story.

As far as birdinmigration's post #40 goes, How can you call this relationship an affair? You sound like my jealous ex-wife. I think most of what you said is just plain wrong, no court or PI is going to be able to do a darn thing about people talking to each other. The OP might have a lot of knowledge about the male friends business, but that is not against the law, and it is no body's business. An affair, spare us...

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 03-05-2011 at 12:02 AM..

Old 03-05-2011, 12:19 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,336 times
Directed towards the OP..
"Yup" this sounds about right regarding California law and the things she is asking for..Do not get upset at the the ex wife it is the law..

Second, not trying to be apathetic however it seems as if your "friend" has boundary issues that have been a long time in the making..

You hit the nail on the head when you described the daughters, they seem to have a huge sense of entitlement...however this is not something that occurs overnight...this seems to be a life long issue..

The fact that your "friend" informed his daughters of his illness and they turn around and go car shopping with mom? And ask him to co-sign?
The fact that he is going through a divorce and still has loose ends? Meaning credit cards? Tells me that he is very passive and does not like to solve issues let alone be confrontational.

A simple, "No" I am not going to co-sign and to get rid of any existing cards is not that complicated..

The buck needs to stop somewhere...

Old 03-05-2011, 07:25 AM

766 posts, read 1,394,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
As far as birdinmigration's post #40 goes, How can you call this relationship an affair? You sound like my jealous ex-wife. I think most of what you said is just plain wrong, no court or PI is going to be able to do a darn thing about people talking to each other. The OP might have a lot of knowledge about the male friends business, but that is not against the law, and it is no body's business. An affair, spare us...
Thank You. I've always found it amazing how people think men and women can't be "just friends". Because I raised 4 little men (sons) SOLO, I tend to relate to men better.

For 20 yrs I didn't have to teach my boys about the latest fashion trends, or Easy Bake Ovens. I had to teach them to fish, trap, hunt, shoot guns, dig in the mud and get dirty. I can milk a cow, toss mash to the pigs and pluck a chicken. (yeah, I ran the family farm after step-dad's serious health problems)

Ya see.... I'm more of a Tomboy. I'm not one of those girly-girls. While women are exchanging their latest, greatest recipes, I'm chatting with the guys about Muskie fishing.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:19 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerpokerpoker View Post
So parents should just accept that kind of behavior from their kids no matter how bad it is? What kind of children is this who are more concerned about a new car than their father dying? Give me a break, this guy is dying and his daughters couldn't care less.

It's amazing that people paint out the the father as the bad guy here despite him dying, + having to battle a divorce and having spoiled kids who are more concerned about a new car than their father having cancer.
It's horrible that their father is battling cancer, having to go through a horrible divorce, and has spoiled kids.

But really... his children are in their 20's and living a spoiled life and he is absolutely to blame for it. Being sick and having a crap time with your personal life doesn't excuse the fact that obviously his parenting skills are way below par.

The situation with his daughters is of his own making and really his own fault. It sucks and I feel terrible for him, but at the same time it doesn't excuse his own responsibility in the situation.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:34 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times
Nobody here is heartless. He spoiled the kids all along. He could have had them paying some rent. He also knew about divorce laws going in to this. He's made those choices. If he chooses to co-sign a loan then that's a choice too.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Default Young adult 20 something daughters Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
Thank You. I've always found it amazing how people think men and women can't be "just friends". Because I raised 4 little men (sons) SOLO, I tend to relate to men better.

For 20 yrs I didn't have to teach my boys about the latest fashion trends, or Easy Bake Ovens. I had to teach them to fish, trap, hunt, shoot guns, dig in the mud and get dirty. I can milk a cow, toss mash to the pigs and pluck a chicken. (yeah, I ran the family farm after step-dad's serious health problems)

Ya see.... I'm more of a Tomboy. I'm not one of those girly-girls. While women are exchanging their latest, greatest recipes, I'm chatting with the guys about Muskie fishing.
It seems to me there is always some person, and sorry to say, usually a woman, who hasn't figured out that people can have friends of the opposite sex without having sexual relations with them. I absolutely hate jealous people that always see the negative side of things, look for the worst, and think sex is involved just because it is two people of opposite sex. Your male friend apparently can not say no to his daughters, too late he will learn he made some mistakes in raising them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships