Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:19 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times

Advertisements

It wasn't even a date. I met a guy at the dog park today who I had a nice conversation with. We spoke about many things, he was also 35 and I'm 22 so we agreed that he was too old for me. He invited me out tonight for dinner "as friends".

He really did so many things that were very rude, but I don't want to spend an hour typing so I'll just let you know about the key points.

At some point we started talking about cars (I don't know how, since I have 0 interest in them) he said "Your car is worth $8,000 and mine is worth $80,000 which do you think is safer?"

I drive an 08 honda civic which I bought for $18,000 and paid off in less than a year. I think thats alright for a 22 year old student.

He was trying to get me to leave the restaurant to go to his friends shabbat dinner, I told him I planned on staying in the area (for safety reasons, I excluded that tho).

He then asked me why I didn't let him pick me up from my house. I didn't think it was a big deal that I drove myself 5 minutes to the restaurant. He was saying "In my country (Israel) a man always picks a woman up" and I said "Well, I have learned the hard way that its best to wait until you know someone better, before you do that".

He then started saying some ******* ****, and I sent him off "Maybe I'll just pay for my glass of wine, and you can go to your friends dinner"

"Why, you don't want to spend time with me"

"You're just acting weird"

He stormed off, said "Sorry" and that was it.

I think he was either on cocaine or crazy.

Now I'm at home, the first Friday of my spring break, alone, drinking riesling. I don't mind and I never drink, so its actually quite fun!

I also want to add, that I called my mom to tell her about this and she said that "Most people are this way"

Is this true? Are most people *******s?/ I like to think most people are genuinly nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
It wasn't even a date. I met a guy at the dog park today who I had a nice conversation with. We spoke about many things, he was also 35 and I'm 22 so we agreed that he was too old for me. He invited me out tonight for dinner "as friends".

He really did so many things that were very rude, but I don't want to spend an hour typing so I'll just let you know about the key points.

At some point we started talking about cars (I don't know how, since I have 0 interest in them) he said "Your car is worth $8,000 and mine is worth $80,000 which do you think is safer?"

I drive an 08 honda civic which I bought for $18,000 and paid off in less than a year. I think thats alright for a 22 year old student.

He was trying to get me to leave the restaurant to go to his friends shabbat dinner, I told him I planned on staying in the area (for safety reasons, I excluded that tho).

He then asked me why I didn't let him pick me up from my house. I didn't think it was a big deal that I drove myself 5 minutes to the restaurant. He was saying "In my country (Israel) a man always picks a woman up" and I said "Well, I have learned the hard way that its best to wait until you know someone better, before you do that".

He then started saying some ******* ****, and I sent him off "Maybe I'll just pay for my glass of wine, and you can go to your friends dinner"

Now I'm at home, the first Friday of my spring break, alone, drinking riesling. I don't mind and I never drink, so its actually quite fun!

I also want to add, that I called my mom to tell her about this and she said that "Most people are this way"

Is this true? Are most people *******s?/ I like to think most people are genuinly nice
I don't think most people are like that. That guy sounds like a real piece of work, though. What a cad.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:25 PM

754 posts, read 1,448,999 times
Good for you for not going anywhere with him.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:26 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
He was ticked off that you thought him too old for dating, but you agreed to go to dinner as "friends". Why even go to dinner with him?? He had nothing to lose, so he was just jerking your chain. No, most people are not like that, but I don't know why you agreed to have dinner with him.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:28 PM

754 posts, read 1,448,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
He was ticked off that you thought him too old for dating, but you agreed to go to dinner as "friends". Why even go to dinner with him?? He had nothing to lose, so he was just jerking your chain. No, most people are not like that, but I don't know why you agreed to have dinner with him.
I think she just wanted to have some fun on her break.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 PM

I went out with him because our talk at the dog park was sooo inspiring. He asked me what I do, I said "I'm in school, but my goal is to open my own doggy day care/grooming" and he said he had his own business, so we were talking about small biz and it was interesting. We talked about dogs, Miami, etc.

I have been considering dropping out of college, saving money and even taking out a loan to open a place.

He seemed like a possible friend/mentor type. Too bad he was a major creep

I'm glad you guys are saying most people are not like this. My mom said they were usually like this, and I usually take her advice seriously

Old 03-04-2011, 08:40 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

I do have to say, I love your taste in wine! Riesling is my FAVE!!!

Most people are not like him, in my experience. But don't convince yourself that most people are "genuinely nice", either. I'm not saying be paranoid, but don't be naive, either. Just go with your gut instinct. You saw this guy was a jerk, but don't assume the next guy will be the same just because someone told you so. It's all about the individual. There are jerks, there are "good guys", but most guys (and women) fall somewhere between the two extremes, which is what you'll most likely find once you get more experience under your belt (I mean that figuratively, not literally!). It all depends on what "quirks" you can or cannot live with. Not MAJOR personality issues!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 PM

343 posts, read 524,215 times
No man asks a woman out 'as friends'. His intentions were not a business partnership.
And why ask you out to dinner if he already had plans? Thought shabbat started at sundown.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
I do have to say, I love your taste in wine! Riesling is my FAVE!!!

Most people are not like him, in my experience. But don't convince yourself that most people are "genuinely nice", either. I'm not saying be paranoid, but don't be naive, either. Just go with your gut instinct. You saw this guy was a jerk, but don't assume the next guy will be the same just because someone told you so. It's all about the individual. There are jerks, there are "good guys", but most guys (and women) fall somewhere between the two extremes, which is what you'll most likely find once you get more experience under your belt (I mean that figuratively, not literally!). It all depends on what "quirks" you can or cannot live with. Not MAJOR personality issues!

LMAO! I wouldn't mind figuring it out literally JK!

I'm not even looking for a boyfriend, I just want to have some fun with new people (doesn't have to be sex). My friends all moved back Up North after college, so when I'm not working or at class, I'm usually with my mom (G-d bless her).

Old 03-04-2011, 08:53 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,899 times
A couple thoughts. Men do ask women out as friends from time to time. In this situation this would be extremely unlikely as this at least to me and those I see around me is with people we already know. Still its a point that not all men all the time are actually seeking something more, sometimes it is face value.

The guy was a total richard, you were wary and rightly so, good on you.

Enjoy the wine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships