U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:35 AM

554 posts, read 444,904 times
Red face Facebook Cited in 20% of Divorces

Facebook cited in 20% of U.S. divorces - Technology & Science - CBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 11:39 AM

17,900 posts, read 16,990,072 times
You can substitute "infidelity" for the FB citation. It isn't FB that's causing the problem...FB is just another way to find information...that's all. You can use it many different ways.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:59 AM

25,352 posts, read 16,358,394 times
FB didn't cause my pending divorce, but technology (email, texting, cell phones) played a major role. I think just being able to communicate with anyone, anywhere, at any time, without anyone else knowing is the reason this happens so much. Before this people had to sneak around, usually with others who were in close proximity, under the eyes of everyone they know. It was harder to get away with, and your choices were usually limited to who you worked with or something.

I mean, it's less likely someone will leave their spouse for someone else if they only have a limited social circle. Now we have the entire world and can seek out and connect with everyone, increasing the odds that you will find someone you like better than whoever you are with now, someone who has the same interests, passions, bla bla bla.. It's a slippery slope though, becasue there is ALWAYS someone better...

Old 03-05-2011, 12:07 PM

1,623 posts, read 2,473,041 times
Not to mention how easy it makes it to find people from the past, aka stoking the flame for the one that got away which has been a thorn in the side of my past relationship.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 PM

9,717 posts, read 6,613,865 times
Only 20% ?? facebook does have it's good uses but it can also be very abusive, and deceiving.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,146,019 times
I'm not surprised. My husband and I both are open w/our facebook pages. I don't add or accept friend requests from any ex-boyfriends. My husband has accepted a couple but with my approval only.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:22 PM

570 posts, read 472,752 times
i hate how people say things like, facebook has good uses!!

No it doesn't. It makes people totally irrational and puts them into a different reality than the one humans are suppose to experience on earth.

All facebook and many other sites, and some other technologies are doing, is ERODING the human spirit. Literally replacing people's souls and purpose within life.

Humans have advanced significantly in the past few hundred years, they have became more intelligent and competitive. They have built things that astound the mind, yet people live in these cities and buildings , and talk to people over the internet who live 5 thousand miles away that they've never knew existed. Yet they don't know their own neighbors and the thought of their neighbor bringing over cookies or a welcoming pie scares them silly.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:17 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,797,536 times
Facebook was really popular in the beginning with college kids as it was initially intended to link people within a campus network. Then they were able interconnect different colleges. Then they included high school kids.

Now, you're in the age where parents/adults/grandparents are even becoming active with facebook, as it's a new way to connect with old friends/family/acquaintances.

The problem, I agree, isn't facebook.

The actual problem: people who got married 15-40 years ago, did so because "that's what people do" and they happened to be with someone at that age so they did what they thought there were supposed to: get married, buy a house, have kids.

Now those people are realizing they don't have as strong of a connection with their partner, they've grown apart since they weren't fully developed adults at the time of their marriage, and they can now get back in touch with the White Buffalo (the one who got away). The people they are having affairs with or getting divorced for are the ones they had a stronger connection with in the first place, but for whatever logistical reason it didn't happen that way.

I'm glad my generation is on average waiting until late 20's/early 30's to get married. My parents married at 23. I know that I'm a totally different person at 28 than I was at 23 as I've learned and developed so much since then.

There have been studies that waiting until 30 to get married can cut your chance of divorce in half.
Divorce Rate : Divorce Rate In America

Age at marriage for those who divorce in America AgeWomenMenUnder 20 years old27.6%11.7%20 to 24 years old36.6%38.8%25 to 29 years old16.4%22.3%30 to 34 years old8.5%11.6% 35 to 39 years old5.1%6.5%

Old 03-07-2011, 01:21 PM

12,802 posts, read 8,762,249 times
If someone's marriage fails over Facebook, there were unresolved problems in the relationship long before Facebook was involved.

Why are people scapegoating Facebook for their failed marriages?

Facebook is only one component of a larger problem.

I just go there to play farmville.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 PM

6,537 posts, read 14,589,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
i hate how people say things like, facebook has good uses!!

No it doesn't. It makes people totally irrational and puts them into a different reality than the one humans are suppose to experience on earth.

All facebook and many other sites, and some other technologies are doing, is ERODING the human spirit. Literally replacing people's souls and purpose within life. ,,,.
It is just a tool. Do not let it make you a tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships