Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:50 PM

115 posts, read 355,310 times

Advertisements

I have 12.

Should I be feeling a little bit uneasy here? How does someone have THAT many friends?

I'm considering to just delete my profile to avoid having to add her and face the inevitable 'why do you have so few friends' question. I resisted facebook for a very long time and only made it to stay in the loop for certain events but I think it might do an injustice to me in the dating world, if a girl sees a guy with too few fb friends... not to mention I dislike having to add people because I have too much pride, so things aren't going to change for me in the cyber-friends world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 05:52 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
at least you know your 12.

id bet a lot of money she doesnt actually KNOW a lot of the people on her list

a lot of people add strangers, for various reasons, including 'friends of friends' or for facebook games.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:57 PM

334 posts, read 528,636 times
I recently closed my FB page, but before I did, I had 1400.

To answer your two questions:

1. No, you should not be feeling uneasy. It's just FB. It's soooo not that serious. Who cares how many friends you have or how many she has?? It's Facebook.

2. I had "THAT many friends" because I have lived in several different states (6 thus far), was very active in politics and in the church (I'm a church consultant, so I've worked with scores of churches). Plus, I went to college, and have held quite a few different jobs over the past decade. I also come from a large family. Out of my 1400 friends, I would say that I personally knew about 1300 of them and the others were people who developed interest in me based on something I said on someone else's status and after a few good status convos, they sent me a friend request. The 1300 are comprised of classmates, family, former colleagues, neighbors, former clients, church members and people I've met in churches.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:58 PM

115 posts, read 355,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
at least you know your 12.

id bet a lot of money she doesnt actually KNOW a lot of the people on her list

a lot of people add strangers, for various reasons, including 'friends of friends' or for facebook games.

yeah, but of those 12, some were from high school that added me and whom I haven't seen in a decade. I probably only talk to like 3 (out of the 12) of those friends regularly.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:13 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
I would say if anything about Face Book causes you or her a problem, you have a real problem and need to find another girl friend who is a bit more mature.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:18 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Having a lot of "friends" on facebook doesn't make you any better a person than someone who has none, or someone who's not even on facebook..Anyone can have facebook "friend" with the touch of a key..I personally wouldn't call them friends...some are I suppose, but most are not, they're probably just a friend of a friend of a friend etc....no big deal!! I agree also with Nite Rider. I also am starting to believe that facebook is rapidly becoming very destructive and Is probably the cause of a lot of heartache and grief.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:18 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
One of my friends has 1200 FB friends. She is one of those people that seems to know everyone and everyone knows her. I have a male friend on FB who is the same way. I guess I don't see the issue here.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,453 times
I don't get the big deal about having so many "friends" on FB. My ex stepmonster has around 1700 and she is the most vile, cruel and all out evil person on the planet so go figure. I only keep the people I know well and give a rats patootie about which is around 50 and most of them I have known for over 20 years. Some folks sadly get hung up on the numbers more so than the actual relationships. Speaking of which, there is a certain FB obsessed poster here I am surprised hasn't weighed in yet lol.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:47 PM

43 posts, read 94,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe404 View Post
I recently closed my FB page, but before I did, I had 1400.
Might be right behind you. Starting to realize how dumb and useless it is unless you actually have a use for it.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:55 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
I think people with thousands of friends are the type who are very outgoing and gregarious, and in addition send requests to anyone who they're even only a tiny bit acquainted with. I tend to not send someone a request until I've gotten to know them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships