Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Im 19 and I use free dating websites and I just get ignored by girls. The couple of times I tried asking girls out in person I got rejected. And people question how Im suppouse to build up self confidence when Im ignored and rejected. Im a nice guy, trust me if you meet me in real life you would be able to see that. Im physically fit and I feel Im pretty good looking, but I guess girls don't think so. I think its time for me to just focus on money and forget the concept of love entirely because as far as I can see its never going to happen. I just want some input, it would be greatly apprieciated. I know Im young but I also forgot to mention I don't have any friends. I use to have a ton of my old classmates on facebook and any time I tried to ask if they wanted to hang out they would always say their busy or they couldn't. So not only can I not find a girlfriend I can't find anybody to be friends with. Huh sorry if it seems like im venting, but Im diagnosed with depression and anxiety so this stuff is so hard on me and wanted to see what people think about this.
I was the same way you are when I was 19.

I am still the same way you are when I am 30.

I wouldn't recommend it, although I've certainly survived.

If you want to do something about it, you have the option of changing it. You can control your own behavior. You can decide to overcome your fears.

You say you have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. This means somebody has diagnosed you with this. Therefore, this person ought to help you with these problems. If they are not doing so, then you should think about finding a better therapist. Make sure the problem isn't you. Sometimes the therapist may be fine, but if you don't take any of their suggestions or do any of the homework, then they can't help you. Been there done that. If it isn't working out, then try to find a different therapist, but be sure to approach this fresh start with the idea that you will try to take their suggestions and do your homework. If the only answer they have for you is Prozac, I'd recommend looking elsewhere. Prozac won't do the work for you. The work of changing onesself requires one's effort. Only a doctor (not a social worker) can tell for sure if Prozac or any other drug would be beneficial for you. And I'd recommend getting a 2nd opinion as well. Personally, Prozac didn't do anything for me, though they prescribed it.

What do you want to be when you grow up ? What do you want to be doing ? It's not all about money. It's about applying your talents towards the greater good, whether that is participating in the free market and offering goods/services, or becoming a monk, or somewhere in between.

At 19, you have the world ahead of you. You are young. You can make a difference. The world needs your talents.

Last edited by Davros; 03-08-2011 at 06:40 PM..

Old 03-08-2011, 06:56 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,354 times
dating website !! choose another pic !!
maybe you can look for girls around of you !!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,531 times
I don't have a job right now. I do have a GED, so I can get into a community college. I've signed up before, but dropped the classes before i ever started because I didn't feel I was ready for it at the time. Now I do feel I am ready. And thank you for all the positive responses. I appreciate them.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,494 times
Quote:
Im 19 and I use free dating websites and I just get ignored by girls. The couple of times I tried asking girls out in person I got rejected. And people question how Im suppouse to build up self confidence when Im ignored and rejected. Im a nice guy, trust me if you meet me in real life you would be able to see that. Im physically fit and I feel Im pretty good looking, but I guess girls don't think so. I think its time for me to just focus on money and forget the concept of love entirely because as far as I can see its never going to happen. I just want some input, it would be greatly apprieciated. I know Im young but I also forgot to mention I don't have any friends. I use to have a ton of my old classmates on facebook and any time I tried to ask if they wanted to hang out they would always say their busy or they couldn't. So not only can I not find a girlfriend I can't find anybody to be friends with. Huh sorry if it seems like im venting, but Im diagnosed with depression and anxiety so this stuff is so hard on me and wanted to see what people think about this.
Damn, I'm more than double your age and going through this after a divorce. I can tell you that if you're depressed, you're likely negative as well and people do not want to hear about your problems. It sounds harsh to say, but I've been there. All my friends abandoned me when I got divorced because I was depressed. But that also means they weren't true friends. So, force yourself to get out and join meetup groups, sports activities, or whatever you're into and try to be positive (and I know its hard when you're depressed, as I've suffered from that as well). Focusing on money isn't a bad thing to do right now either. Stay on that and good things will happen. If you're ambitious and driven, women will follow. Just be careful they're the right kind of women.

P.S. I really like what Davros says as well. Actually, listen to him first. Also, there's a great book I recommend called "On Becoming a Person". Its a tough read in the first few chapters, but you can skip the first 2-3 chapters. The rest of the book is excellent and will help you figure out who you really are.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Good idea about focusing on the money. If you have lots of it, you won't have to worry about anything else, you'll have plenty of women chasing you.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,083 times
you shouldnt be using a dating website that young

go out there and meet people most 19 year olds arent using sites and if they are i doubt they are taking it seriously

Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,644,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I am known to be rather cocky, some people do call me arrogant. When I get compliments, my friends say "Oh please, don't feed his ego."

But guess what... girls love it.

If you don't take *** from anybody and nobody can knock you down you are of far higher value than the next guy who lets people walk all over them. You can be very confident/arrogant without being mean or cold to people. Finding the balance is the tricky part.
I'm good at what I'm good at. All my friends and co-workers KNOW it. I don't have to rub it in on them. My actions prove anything I say. It's usually women that seem to get confused of what "it" is. My men friends never do.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
I recommend that you get yourself into the community college and do the very best that you can. Good grades will help build your self-esteem and open doors to other opportunities.

Find an organization that has some interest to you and join it. Volunteer a couple hours each week to do some good where it's needed -- hospital, retirement home, Big Brothers, scouting, soup kitchen -- anything. It'll make you feel good to give of yourself, and in the process you're likely to meet others.

Pick a hobby that you can enjoy and join a club for others with that interest -- sports, photography, fishing, hiking, biking -- anything to get you out and about. (The community college will likely have many groups you can join.)

The reason you have a GED... is that because you quit high school? High school and college helps build relationship skills, and that sounds like your problem. Developing some interests and sharing them with others will help you build those lacking skills.

Do the above and you'll become a more interesting person -- more interesting to both sexes. Good luck!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:34 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,589 times
You are young, and you have plenty of time to find a person to have a relationship with. Go ahead and sign up for community college. When you start taking classes, join a group of some kind. Just put yourself out there a little. If you start finding things that interest you, you will feel better about yourself. Also, do something to help someone else. This will take you mind off of yourself and help you be more interesting too. Don't be so down on yourself and know that you are not alone. Many people feel lost after highschool because the real world is not a small isolated group like highschool.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
In life, timing is everything.

And right now is not the time for you to be so focused on girls.

Focus on YOURSELF and becoming the kind of man you want to be.

Especially work on overcoming the depression. Take good care of your body and mind. And don't neglect your education. Work on becoming the kind of man a young woman would want to be with!

A year of doing all that could make a world of difference in you attracting someone, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships