Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Ummm, you realize we're talking about the endocrine system here, right?

Okay. We get it. You want long-term, no-strings-attached sex. Once you're done with that, see if you can turn your attention to the unicorn, Yeti, and the final resting place of Jimmy Hoffa.
I was pretty sure we were on the same page, mostly, until the second part of your post.

Quote:
The endocrine system is an information signal system like the nervous system. Hormones are substances (chemical mediators) released from endocrine tissue into the bloodstream that attach to target tissue and allow communication among cells.

Source: Endocrine system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am not sure how your red herring argument relates to our conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug24 View Post
What a great way to avoid any responsibility!
Which responsibility are you referring to? She isn't blaming the guy as many women do; such as when they require us to lie to them for sex only to call us liars afterward. I am beginning to think that women put men down in that manner to make themselves look better, as a gender (according to some gender studies).

Old 03-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I've noticed with the fwb thing the men get attached to me faster than I do.
That's why I think one night stands are better,because in fwb type relationships someone is bound to get attached,its human nature,as stated in the posts above. Just my opinion.
Have you considered getting your girl friends involved? In my opinion, you could be missing out on some good friendships with your current strategy.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:56 AM

174 posts, read 239,928 times
Quote:
First, let's state the obvious. Sex is an intimate act. It spans a range of emotions from trust to vulnerability. Unless one is a total sociopath just moving from one person to the next in search of interlocking parts, the emotions become engaged. There's evidently a scientific basis for this. Sex releases chemicals such as oxytocin and vasopressin, both of which are involved in pair bonding, the social attachment people share. And the better the sex you have, evidently the more of these chemicals are released. Conversely, I guess we can assume that mediocre sex means little or no resulting attachment. Maybe that's why some people think FWB is a pretty good idea: They simply haven't had the hot, sweaty, headboard-banging, back-clawing, howl-at-the-moon gorilla sex that the rest of us have with our partners.

Anyway, assuming the body of scientific knowledge on this is correct, FWBs basically play havoc with the body's natural biochemistry. That means when you have sex with an FWB, you have an orgasm, the body releases chemicals that create an innate sense of well-being and trust, and then the sex partner rolls out of bed, puts on clothes and says, "Gosh, that was fun. I'll see you in a couple of weeks." So then your psyche gets to fight a little war with your heart. Guess what? The heart always wins.

That means that your theory is pretty much nonsense. Because no matter how much a couple tries to intellectually and compartmentalize matters, the physiology of sex gets in the way. Yeah, yeah, I know you're looking for convenient, highfalutin' rationalizations to saw in and out of a new partner whenever you see fit, but the human body just doesn't work that way.
Very good points!! I'm sure there are some outlyers as usual...But "howl-at-the-moon gorilla sex" with a FWB..Not likely but wow what a concept!

Old 03-11-2011, 01:48 PM

19 posts, read 29,061 times
Quote:
What a great way to avoid any responsibility!
I'm not really trying to avoid responsibility .

Old 03-11-2011, 02:10 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
Quote:
Maybe that's why some people think FWB is a pretty good idea: They simply haven't had the hot, sweaty, headboard-banging, back-clawing, howl-at-the-moon gorilla sex that the rest of us have with our partners.
Gorilla sex wouldn't appeal to most people. As a rule, an erect gorilla penis is only 3-5 cm long and intercourse lasts less than a minute. There's not enough time to get sweaty! But the alpha male does get all the females.

Bonobos, in contrast, do have lots of FWB's, apparently. They're closest to humans in their sexuality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonobo#...ocial_behavior

Old 03-11-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
Very good points!! I'm sure there are some outlyers as usual...But "howl-at-the-moon gorilla sex" with a FWB..Not likely but wow what a concept!
Engaging a friend with sex is not the same thing as a romantic relationship. It could be more about companionship until the "right" person comes along. What is wrong with being friends with a person you are having sex with?

Is anyone claiming that sex "cheapens" a friendship?

Old 03-11-2011, 04:09 PM

196 posts, read 564,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Which responsibility are you referring to? She isn't blaming the guy as many women do; such as when they require us to lie to them for sex only to call us liars afterward. I am beginning to think that women put men down in that manner to make themselves look better, as a gender (according to some gender studies).
Here is how I see the situation.. The girl likes the guy and is already attached/hoping for something more, but trying to be ok with fwb thing since there is nothing else going on in her love life. I honestly don't understand how a young person who never experienced love, care, looking forward to waking up next to each other just to see a loved one can be ok with fwb and nothing else. I am all for fwb.. But not when it is your first intimate relationship.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:23 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Here is how I see the situation.. The girl likes the guy and is already attached/hoping for something more, but trying to be ok with fwb thing since there is nothing else going on in her love life. I honestly don't understand how a young person who never experienced love, care, looking forward to waking up next to each other just to see a loved one can be ok with fwb and nothing else. I am all for fwb.. But not when it is your first intimate relationship.
My first intimate relationship was fwb.

I ended up marrying what was initially a one night stand.

People assume that fwb relationships always turn out poorly.

People tend to also assume that losing your virginity should be "special".

I disagree. If you wanted losing your virginity to be special then more power to you, but some of us just wanted to get laid and were sick of being told we should wait for someone special. When I met the right guy sex was still special, just because he wasn't my first didn't mean we weren't capable of having more intimate sex.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:29 PM

174 posts, read 239,928 times
Yep, every one is different. My first could be considered a fwb and she was very experienced and a good teacher. Would not have wanted it any other way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships