Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 03:08 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It was a serious question, not an implication. If you can only offer a young woman a relationship with no potential for intimacy, ("sexless") that might be okay for those who want to wait for marriage. But you will never get married. So even if there is an asexual or premaritally celibate woman out there for you, you won't be able to make a commitment to her.

So, what do you offer in place of these things that would make a woman want to date you?--or make potential friends want to be with you. Are you fun to hang out with? Great conversationalist? A well-honed sense of humor? Great cook? Interesting views? Talents?

I know you are a very literal person, but do not feel you have to answer each of these questions individually. I am just giving examples of what makes people attractive to others.

So what do you bring to the "lunch table" of your life?
Like I said, I'm content to be single now. So this sex stuff doesn't matter. I was just explaining what type of relationship I wanted with the girl at the time.

And even if a girl is looking for marriage eventually, I doubt she wants to get married in college.

Also, I'm willing to do other sexual stuff, just not actual sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 03:13 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Why do you choose not to answer the question?

Old 03-12-2011, 03:14 PM

Ironically, I just got invited to go somewhere (I'm not going and I have my reasons, but that's not the point).

Old 03-12-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Why do you choose not to answer the question?
Because you said you don't want me to answer each question individually

Old 03-12-2011, 04:00 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Hm. Let me try again. Here is the question.

Quote:

So, what do you offer in place of these things that would make a woman want to date you?--or make potential friends want to be with you....

...what do you bring to the "lunch table" of your life?

Old 03-12-2011, 04:51 PM

199 posts, read 490,985 times
This happened to me once when someone new tagged along into a group (well someone who moved and came back for school break). It didn't really bother me because I was the only one in the group who never met the chick before and she did seem kind of shy. When someone is clearly very charismatic and talkative it does bother me, I have had this incident happen to me quite a few times while being put into groups in class.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Hm. Let me try again. Here is the question.
The answer to such a question is hard to put into words.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:23 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Oh my gosh this happens to me in so many social situations, don't get me started. I will say however that these people have not, nor will ever, be given the title of "friend". Most of the time if I'm talking to three people the two will start talking to each other and just basically ignore me (or look at me like I have two heads when I try to join in.) When this happens, most of the time I can and do walk away. I don't care if I'm seen as a ***** because of it.

Now most recently I was in a group project in school that I was assigned for. Two of our members skipped this class for two weeks and my other partner spent half the time of class-time we were given to work on it, sending them a message of what needed to be done. I did the introduction that was supposed to be done by the four of us, myself and all she did was change everything.

Then these guys get back to class and all of a sudden it's their group and not mine. They would ask about work/school schedules for meeting up without even asking about mine and then they scheduled the interview we were supposed to do with some people, on a day I had to work and couldn't get out of it. I had very little to work with and I was so mad.

My teacher wanted the class to submit essays about how the project went, and I hope I didn't sound like a nagging ***** writing it, but I felt it needed to be said so I told her everything and that I'm never doing a group project again. It's stupid, you know? In the real world you have to earn your way into a group. Not in college!

Last edited by Osito; 03-12-2011 at 07:36 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 12:17 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I'm never doing a group project again. It's stupid, you know? In the real world you have to earn your way into a group. Not in college!
In the "real world" it's not uncommon to be assigned to a group you've never met, with the expectation that as a team, you'll get the work done. That kind of thing doesn't end with college...

Seriously, if you refuse to ever do a group project again, you're just stunting your own growth. Learning to get along with all kinds of people, even difficult people, is good for you! And the sooner you learn that, and master it, the better off you'll be - in college and in the rest of your life!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
In the "real world" it's not uncommon to be assigned to a group you've never met, with the expectation that as a team, you'll get the work done. That kind of thing doesn't end with college...

Seriously, if you refuse to ever do a group project again, you're just stunting your own growth. Learning to get along with all kinds of people, even difficult people, is good for you! And the sooner you learn that, and master it, the better off you'll be - in college and in the rest of your life!
This is why I hate group projects (examples from my own experience):

1. Setting up a time and place to meet...there was a time when I worked on a group project and 2 of the people in the group lived together and they wanted us to meet at their house. This was inconvenient and there was no need to meet at their house. We could accomplish the same thing (actually, we could accomplish something even better) if we met on campus. Hell, we were on campus anyway after class. I saw another group from the class meeting on campus. Apparently their group members were all normal enough to realize that's what makes the most sense.

And when you need to meet outside of class, it's hard to find a time and place that works for everyone. In another group, whenever we met, there was always at least one group member that couldn't make it.

2. Lazy people...you all know what I mean. Everyone that's done group work has probably been put in a group with a lazy person. The story I'm about to describe happened my first semester in a freshman class, so there were people in the class that didn't belong in college. Some of them dropped out by now. Anyway, I was put in a group where I was the only person that showed initiative. I did my part, but the other people were lazy. We were supposed to meet over a weekend. I texted the group leader at 10 something in the morning on a Sunday. She eventually texted me back after 1:30 saying she just woke up (sorority girl). She cared more about her sorority than the class, and she described the class as a "weird class." I probably should of been the group leader, but the professor randomly picked the group leaders.

We eventually met up, put the project together, and I got an A in the class. But the other group members were unreliable and waited until the last minute to do their work. If you want to procrastinate and wait until the last minute to do an individual assignment, go ahead. But on a group assignment, it's not fair to the other group members if you wait until the last minute. I came close to getting a B in an easy A class because of my lazy group. Someone's grade shouldn't suffer because of group work.

And I think part of the reason they eventually did their work was because of me reminding them.

Oh, and the project was set up so each person had to do a certain part, so it's not like I could do the other peoples work.

At least if you're put in a group at a job, you already have a meeting place (wherever you work) and the people are probably more reliable (if they were unreliable, they would probably get fired).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships