U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:10 PM

8,707 posts, read 12,557,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Walt, you'll be over 60 years old in 2050. What do you care whether there will be robots that screw? You'll be a senior citizen.
What better customer for a sex robot than a senior citizen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 10:55 PM

12,890 posts, read 12,942,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Walt, you'll be over 60 years old in 2050. What do you care whether there will be robots that screw? You'll be a senior citizen.
60 is a senior citizen? Not according to SSA or DMV...OK, maybe AARP will allow you to join earlier, but that's just because they want the money!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 PM

9,444 posts, read 10,161,843 times
Can't I just have a humanlike robot to help me clean my house? I'd rather have him for that.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:10 AM

24,012 posts, read 20,637,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
If a man is willing to have sex with his hand, a blowup doll, a jar filed with cotton and water, a pie, a goat, a hole in the wall, I don't see why they wouldn't at least give the robot a try.

Just saying.

"When I was young and in my prime,"

I used to **** girls all the time.

Now I'm older, got more sense,

I use the holes that are in the fence."

Old 03-21-2011, 02:16 PM

12,597 posts, read 12,896,521 times
There would be a demand for this, but IMO, it would still be a niche market. Most men and women can't really feel love unless there has been a give-and-take and with a human computer, you just wouldn't feel that the same way. You'd know you could always have just switched the program.

There's something to the idea of the thrill of the chase. I can't believe 2.4 million years of this being bred into us could be eliminated in the space of a century or so. Most people still want the thrill of a new relationship. Many men (sorry to generalize, to the guys on here) want to know they "won over" (so to speak) a woman. This makes them realize they themselves (the men) are special. Women often feel this way, too. Yeah, yeah, that's so codependent, blah blah. You know what? It's been true for millions of years (and certainly verifiably in the human race for about 50K years, give or take a K) and it's not about to come to a screeching halt now any more than our appetites have come to a screeching halt just because for many of us true starvation is something we've never ever experienced in our lifetimes specifically, or any more than the urge to procreate has come to a close because the world is overpopulated now with humans.

I believe the market for something like this would remain what the RealDoll market seems to be currently: people who really and truly can't get or handle an actual relationship. I'm not saying that to be brutal. I watched a documentary ("Love Me, Love My Doll," I think it was called) and two out of three of the guys interviewed came right out and stated they COULD NOT have relationships. They made no bones (yar! har) about it.

But for the average person, even the averagely dysfunctional one, we do not really feel deep feelings for things we have programmed or could program. No matter how realistic the machine, a basically sane, logical person knows it is still a machine and that "element" is just missing, period, end of story.

Also, people will still want to have babies.

Now, the reverse is true too, I believe. Some people have stated that people will buy these dolls because they like to abuse people but can't, such as pedophiles. I believe that a HUGE part of what a pedophile enjoys, and what a domestic abuser enjoys, is gaining power over someone and gaining power over a machine would just never stack up. Abusers (ask me now I know this ) like and want to see that fear and know it's real. That's how they feel powerful. A machine will never stack up for long. They will eventually need to move on to (or back to - ugh) the "real thing."

So yeah, for sure these things will exist. Why wouldn't they? We humans love technology. I think there will be a stigma attached to a guy who exclusively wants such a thing -- he will still be "the guy who can't get a woman" -- folks, let's be real about this. And who wants to advertise that? I mean even now, after literally thousands of years as far as we can tell of people using "other things" to, erm, satisfy themselves, it's sure not something anybody advertises and it's a fact that guys just DON'T admit to using them regularly, as this makes it seem like they can't get a partner. Supposedly we're all coming more out of the closet on this (it's we women's turn, it looks like, with all the vibrator commercials on now) but still...I do NOT know any female friend who sits around talking about her vibrator and again...it's been many thousands of years that women have used false bits, too.

And by the way, "real" "real dolls" have also been around for centuries; they're called prostitutes. How many men stopped getting married because they could just have a prostitute? How about even in, say, Nevada where prostitution is legal and the girls must be physically well, healthy and clean (taking the "but she might have a disease" argument out of the equation)? How many guys do you know who have admitted to ever having gone to a prostitute...even once? Yet, somebody's going to them. Nope, sorry. Stigma. It will exist with a human-looking doll just like it exists with any form of "I just can't get any by myself" admission.

As for adding one to an existing relationship, it will be much like swinging. Yes, swinging can work out for some couples. For many others, jealousy creeps in...feelings of inadequacy...things fall to shyte. People in partnerships also start to feel ignored/neglected when, yes, even a machine is what the other partner seems to be focusing "a little too much" on. I mean for heaven's sake, we've had the term TV Widow since probably the 40s.

That's my take on machine humans in the future. I don't think you'll be able to "marry" them. Honestly, why on earth would you need to, anyway? What's it going to do, leave you? Just...a weird concept. But maybe I'm not being open-minded enough.

Last edited by JerZ; 03-21-2011 at 02:27 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Can't I just have a humanlike robot to help me clean my house? I'd rather have him for that.
I'D sure buy that! Now you're talking!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM

12,890 posts, read 12,942,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ
But for the average person, even the averagely dysfunctional one, we do not really feel deep feelings for things we have programmed or could program. No matter how realistic the machine, a basically sane, logical person knows it is still a machine and that "element" is just missing, period, end of story.
Evidently you haven't seen how emotionally close people become with their cell phones, since they are constantly holding them, talking to them, stroking them and then tearing their hair out when they break-down or go missing.

And don't even get me started on cars...

Quote:
Also, people will still want to have babies.
Given the current state of the world, this is good because...???

Sorry - letting personal opinions enter the conversation again...

Old 03-21-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Evidently you haven't seen how emotionally close people become with their cell phones, since they are constantly holding them, talking to them, stroking them and then tearing their hair out when they break-down or go missing.

And don't even get me started on cars...
I've seen exactly how attached people become to them, and I see that they STILL want relationships no matter how attached they become to their electronics. Except, as I said, for that niche population which wouldn't be very interested in human contact (real human contact) regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Given the current state of the world, this is good because...???
I don't recall making a value judgment,whether for good or for ill. I said only that people will *want* to continue to have babies. Obviously, given overpopulation (which I talked about in my post), it wouldn't necessarily be a good thing but I did not say it would be; merely that people would still want it.

We still want food even when our bodies don't need it. We still want sex even when we don't need or even want to procreate. Some of us still want to procreate even if there are plenty of people in the world. We still want relationships regardless of the availability of prostitutes, sexual devices and eventually, the existence of moving "real dolls"...at least if history (thousands of years of it) has anything at all to say about the present. That was kinda the whole point, Phil.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:16 PM

5,154 posts, read 9,565,498 times
Reminds me of an old movie:

Cherry 2000
Cherry 2000 (1987) - IMDb

Old 03-21-2011, 05:57 PM

8,707 posts, read 12,557,307 times
Living room decor:

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-18-2012 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships