U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:59 PM

946 posts, read 1,337,947 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering something. Everyone knows that everyone puts on their best face and is on their best behavior on the first couple of dates to make a good impression on the other person. We try to be cordial and respectful. I was wondering after how many dates do you see a person's true nature? The reason I ask is because I've been on a couple of dates with one guy in particular. He's cute and he's extremely polite and easy-going, but he's so polite and says "yes" to anything I say that I wonder if he lacks any character. It's too soon to say since I barely know him, and I'm not complaining- I like how easy-going he is, but I'm looking for a strong-willed guy who takes charge and plans dates, and so far I haven't seen that side of him. I can't get a true feel of who he is yet. I guess what I'm asking is, after how long do you get to really know a person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 01:01 PM

3,409 posts, read 2,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I was just wondering something. Everyone knows that everyone puts on their best face and is on their best behavior on the first couple of dates to make a good impression on the other person. We try to be cordial and respectful. I was wondering after how many dates do you see a person's true nature? The reason I ask is because I've been on a couple of dates with one guy in particular. He's cute and he's extremely polite and easy-going, but he's so polite and says "yes" to anything I say that I wonder if he lacks any character. It's too soon to say since I barely know him, and I'm not complaining- I like how easy-going he is, but I'm looking for a strong-willed guy who takes charge and plans dates, and so far I haven't seen that side of him. I can't get a true feel of who he is yet. I guess what I'm asking, after how long do you get to really know a person?
After about a week and a half you will start to notice. After three months, you KNOW.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:04 PM

44,881 posts, read 56,395,569 times
Quote:
I was just wondering something. Everyone knows that everyone puts on their best face and is on their best behavior on the first couple of dates to make a good impression on the other person. We try to be cordial and respectful. I was wondering after how many dates do you see a person's true nature? The reason I ask is because I've been on a couple of dates with one guy in particular. He's cute and he's extremely polite and easy-going, but he's so polite and says "yes" to anything I say that I wonder if he lacks any character. It's too soon to say since I barely know him, and I'm not complaining- I like how easy-going he is, but I'm looking for a strong-willed guy who takes charge and plans dates, and so far I haven't seen that side of him. I can't get a true feel of who he is yet. I guess what I'm asking, after how long do you get to really know a person?
I don't think you REALLY get to know someone until you've seen them in a crisis situation.

And it doesn't have to be a death or ER visit. Just a daily crisis like running out of gas together in a bad neighborhood, getting food poisoning after a meal out together ect.

It's how a person deals with the unexpected cr*p in life that will tell you the most about their character.

If there is real chemistry between you, give it at least 3-4 months. A crisis is bound to come along shortly

Old 03-15-2011, 01:04 PM

4,487 posts, read 3,909,962 times
At least one more after you've had sex. Or about 6 months - whichever is later.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:10 PM

372 posts, read 329,831 times
Quote:
I was just wondering something. Everyone knows that everyone puts on their best face and is on their best behavior on the first couple of dates to make a good impression on the other person. We try to be cordial and respectful. I was wondering after how many dates do you see a person's true nature? The reason I ask is because I've been on a couple of dates with one guy in particular. He's cute and he's extremely polite and easy-going, but he's so polite and says "yes" to anything I say that I wonder if he lacks any character. It's too soon to say since I barely know him, and I'm not complaining- I like how easy-going he is, but I'm looking for a strong-willed guy who takes charge and plans dates, and so far I haven't seen that side of him. I can't get a true feel of who he is yet. I guess what I'm asking is, after how long do you get to really know a person?
He probably was told that he was getting rejected by his past dates because he was telling them where he wanted to go to eat and what movie he wanted to see and that girls like to be asked and listened to..

So he learns from his mistakes. A very good thing.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltHowe View Post
He probably was told that he was getting rejected by his past dates because he was telling them where he wanted to go to eat and what movie he wanted to see and that girls like to be asked and listened to..

So he learns from his mistakes. A very good thing.
Lol if that's the case with some guys, it's not a good thing. People should just be themselves. There's an endless amount of conflicting advice that men and women get about dating, so, just be yourselves! Someone's going to like you regardless.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Lol if that's the case with some guys, it's not a good thing. People should just be themselves. There's an endless amount of conflicting advice that men and women get about dating, so, just be yourselves! Someone's going to like you regardless.
Hahaha.... EVERY post!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:19 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,811,624 times
I would say 4ish.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM

With my last boyfriends, I pretty much knew right away that they were very strong-willed guys with a lot of backbone. I guess you can sense it in a person. But with this guy...I don't know. He's so laid-back.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
With my last boyfriends, I pretty much knew right away that they were very strong-willed guys with a lot of backbone. I guess you can sense it in a person. But with this guy...I don't know. He's so laid-back.
Many guys I know are laid back. They are among the tougest of the tough as well. Who are you going to believe? The suit or the guy who looks like he just came out of WWIII? I'd put my money on him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships