Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
About 30 years ago I was getting dressed after working out and showering at a gym. There was a gal in the dressing room who had the most perfect breasts I had ever seen. I said to her, "Please don't misunderstand this but you have the most beautiful breasts I've ever seen. I wish mine looked like yours." She was flattered and said, "Thanks. They're implants." Remember, this was 30 years ago, long before women were commonly getting breast implants. They looked totally natural and were a perfect size for her overall build.

LOL, you just brought back a memory!

About 15 years ago a co-worker got breast implants. I had never known anyone personally with implants.

When she came back to work (in an office of all women, mind you) we were all interested in her new look.

In the breakroom at lunch we must bombarded her with too many questions because she suddenly just striped her top off and invited us all to touch them to see how "real" they felt!

It was certainly a first for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
When it happens to me I take it as a compliment.

When I do it to someone else I mean it as a compliment
Can I ask what people ask you about your physical appearance?

I'm not offended per se, but being told "Wow! You're tall" or asked "How tall are you?" isn't exactly complimentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sometimes I ask if some beautiful curls are a result of a perm by any chance (if I'm not absolutely positive they're natural), intending to inquire about where they're done. Unfortunately, they're always a product of Mother Nature!
I used to get my fair share of that, but usually it was followed with a compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I've never done it, but yesterday a guy came up to me at the store and asked ME a question about my appearance.
Was it a question just to appease his curiosity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
No, I find it rather rude to point out the obvious. If it's a compliment, fine, but things like height, weight, etc.? Not polite.
That's what irks me...why point out the obvious?!? As if I don't already know I'm tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
About 30 years ago I was getting dressed after working out and showering at a gym. There was a gal in the dressing room who had the most perfect breasts I had ever seen. I said to her, "Please don't misunderstand this but you have the most beautiful breasts I've ever seen. I wish mine looked like yours." She was flattered and said, "Thanks. They're implants." Remember, this was 30 years ago, long before women were commonly getting breast implants. They looked totally natural and were a perfect size for her overall build.
Yes, but you were paying her a compliment, which to me is different than approaching her and asking "Wow! What size are those?"

Old 03-15-2011, 06:32 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
This was today's conversation with a stranger:

Dude: Wow! You're tall!
Me: *smiling politely* Yes (then I assumed he would continue on since he got his comment out.)
Dude: How tall are you?
Me: With or without heels? (I was in 4" heels)
Dude: Without!
Me: 6'1"
Dude: What do you do?
Me: Huh? What do I do??? (confused to where he's going with this conversation...trying to figure out the correlation of what I do for a living and my height.)
Dude: Well, uh yeah...what do you do?
Me: Nothing (again, still baffled and shocked this guy is interrogating me) I'm a mom.
Dude: Do you play sports?
Me: No.
Dude: Did you?
...[more questions regarding sports]
Dude: Are your kids tall?
...[more questions/comments regarding my kids]

He's not the first stranger to approach and interrogate me and I know he's not the last. And again I'm not offended, just amazed that some people (even taller men) view that as perfectly acceptable...that they can just ask about my life because I'm tall. Or maybe I'm just anti-social!!!

Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,425,022 times
Got talking to one of the tallest men I've ever spoken to not long ago. Didn't stop him to ask him, started talking to him about something else and during the conversation asked him how tall he was. 7 foot 2.....not often I talk to people taller than myself let alone that much taller. Could tell he is asked it all the time, he told me his height briefly, then continued talking about what we were talking about.

Last edited by dave nz; 03-15-2011 at 06:45 PM..

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times
I was always taught that the first thing you notice about a person is usually the LAST thing you should ever comment upon...

"Oh wow. You're in a wheelchair!"

"Those are some nice breasts. They're like ripe melons."

"That's a huge pimple... right on the end of your nose too..."

"My god. How much do you weigh?"

"Do you have some sort of medical condition? I didn't think humans could be that tall unless they had a problem with their pituitary gland. I read about it last week in Newsweek."

I think part of the problem is that each of us get tired of hearing that one thing (whatever it is) pointed out constantly, even if we understand that the speaker means no harm, and that the unusual trait (whatever it is) isn't necessary one that is normally considered in a negative light.

"Oh wow, redheaded twins! Do you dress them alike? Do you have trouble telling them apart?"

"Wow you're really skinny. Do you ever eat?"

"You are so pregnant. You look like you're about to pop any second now."

"Wow you're so tall. How tall are you? Do you play basketball?"

It's not that any of these latter comments are particularly rude in their own right, and certainly it's understandable that it is human nature to be curious. However, if you have an unusual physical attribute, it becomes tiresome to have complete strangers come up to you (like on a weekly basis) and stop you in the grocery store like you should be in a Barnum and Bailey's exhibit.

Last edited by h886; 03-15-2011 at 06:48 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post

Me: *smiling politely* Yes (then I assumed he would continue on since he got his comment out.)
Me: Huh? What do I do??? (confused to where he's going with this conversation...trying to figure out the correlation of what I do for a living and my height.)
Me: Nothing (again, still baffled and shocked this guy is interrogating me) I'm a mom.

He's not the first stranger to approach and interrogate me and I know he's not the last. And again I'm not offended, just amazed that some people (even taller men) view that as perfectly acceptable...that they can just ask about my life because I'm tall. Or maybe I'm just anti-social!!!

I realize this is upsetting you, and I'm sorry , but do try to find a sense of humor about it.

It's just so unusual to see a woman of your height that it probably takes people by surprise, that's all.

He was probably a real sports nut who was hoping you might have played for the WNBA so he could ask for an autograph

Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 PM

Why not try to come up with a funny reaction when you get the question next time?

When somebody blurts out "how tall ARE you?" - just say something like "tall enough to leap buildings in a single bound just like Superman!"

or how about

"Tall enough to see that bald spot on the very top of your head"

Old 03-15-2011, 06:47 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
Quote:
You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but I'm still taken aback when someone approaches me to comment on or ask me about my height, which is then usually followed with an interrogation regarding my life.

Do shorter folks deal with this too?

Have you ever stopped someone to ask them a question regarding their physical appearance, such as "How tall are you?" "How much do you weigh?" "Are those real?"

I guess I just have trouble comprehending the compulsion to ask such questions. Can't people guess?
I think that people may just be leaning towards a "conversation starter."

Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,644,833 times
Quote:

I remember the guys in gym class used to ask me about being so hairy. I always replied that I didn't know! Damn, white people be hairy! LOL Oh well, you can't please everyone!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:15 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
When I wear my hair curly I get asked about my curls all the time. I also get asked where I get my highlights done because they look so natural (the curls are natural as are the highlights).

I'm barely 5'4...more like just over 5'3" which really isn't that short...but I've gotten comments on that...usually at the grocery store when I have to ask for assistance to get something off the top shelf that has been pushed back. Heck, if I were single it would be a great way to pick up men!

My poor son has strawberry blonde curly hair ...he gets comments EVERY TIME we go somewhere...never fails. He will be answering "where did you get that hair from?" for the rest of his life or until he goes bald.

People comment on my daughters hair and eyes ALL the time too...she has color you could never find in a bottle. The best colorist couldn't replicate her hair color and her eyes are somewhere between grey and green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships