Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:17 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times

Advertisements

This was inspired by another thread, I was reminded of a conversation I had with a girlfriend of mine.

She told me that she tells her husband EVERYTHING including the secrets that her friends tell her. She says that she is so open with her husband and they talk about everything, so it's just natural for her to confide to him with the secrets of others.

I don't know, I feel like if someone tells me something in confidence, especially when this person is very specific and clear that it should only stay between us, then it should only stay between us and even my husband shouldn't know. It's not his business if someone had an abortion or committed infidelity. He would forget about it the next day anyway, he doesn't bother with problems of others, but I would be betraying someone's trust.

What do you think? Am I the weirdo here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Am I the weirdo here?
If you are, so am I.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
If you are, so am I.
I'm in a good company then!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:30 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
This was inspired by another thread, I was reminded of a conversation I had with a girlfriend of mine.

She told me that she tells her husband EVERYTHING including the secrets that her friends tell her. She says that she is so open with her husband and they talk about everything, so it's just natural for her to confide to him with the secrets of others.

I don't know, I feel like if someone tells me something in confidence, especially when this person is very specific and clear that it should only stay between us, then it should only stay between us and even my husband shouldn't know. It's not his business if someone had an abortion or committed infidelity. He would forget about it the next day anyway, he doesn't bother with problems of others, but I would be betraying someone's trust.

What do you think? Am I the weirdo here?
You aren't weird, your friend is

If someone shares something with me in confidence and asks me to keep it to myself, I do. My husband does the same.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:33 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
I think I would if it was going to impact her negatively. I wouldn't want to withold information that might impact the relationship or a major situation around her.

Otherwise, she'd have to really work it to get me to talk.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You aren't weird, your friend is

If someone shares something with me in confidence and asks me to keep it to myself, I do. My husband does the same.
Thank you...When I told her about this, she acted like I'm cheating my husband out of some information and not being completely honest with him. Her response to me was: "Well, I tell him EVERYTHING, we just have a very honest and open relationship"...

Old 04-11-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I think I would if it was going to impact her negatively. I wouldn't want to withold information that might impact the relationship or a major situation around her.

Otherwise, she'd have to really work it to get me to talk.
If the secret would impact my husband in some negative way, I would also tell him, but I would also tell the person that his/her secret is going to shared with my husband for xyz reasons, instead off putting my hand on my chest and promising to keep my mouth shut forever.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:35 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
I tell my husband everything and my friends know that. So if they want me to keep something from my husband they'd have to tell me that first. To which I would probably say no, I don't keep secrets that well. Then they have the option of not telling me their secret, which is fine by me!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I tell my husband everything and my friends know that. So if they want me to keep something from my husband they'd have to tell me that first. To which I would probably say no. They can keep their secret away from me.
Well, I respect that. Everyone is different. I will probably not be sharing any secrets with a girlfriend of mine after that conversation, but on the other hand, I would probably not share anything anyway.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:39 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,433 times
depending on what it is, yes, i tell him.

if its something truly personal, or that may affect his opinion of her, than no.

OR... if she specifically ASKS me NOT to tell. She knows that a lot of things i will tell him, so when she has something she truly doesnt want him to know, all she has to do is tell me and she knows i wont tell ANYONE...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships