Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 04:23 AM

86 posts, read 428,298 times

Advertisements

If you had feelings for someone and havent seen them for awhile, how soon will you get over them?
I feel like you need that constant interaction or face time to get the fliration/attraction going if the feelings are mutual. But if you havent seen the person you like in a while, how long would it take before those initial feelings/attraction disappears? (and you arent communicating any other way, whether it be texting, emailing or facebook etc).

So would it take a couple of days (2-3 days), a week, 2 weeks or a month of not seeing one another before your move on? ... so how long of not seeing that individual would it take before that attraction disappears?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 05:02 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,286 times
Depending on your fondness for the other person, anywhere from six weeks to twenty years or more.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:09 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,237,788 times
That's a difficult question. I think all people are different. to me it would depend on how I felt, were we ever involved, etc.

Good Luck, I know it's not easy, but, pick yourself up and move on.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:09 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,778,959 times
Let me tell ya a little story of perseverance....My wife and I went to high school together(she was in 11th and I was in 10th when we met). I had a crush on her instantly. She did not feel the same(liked me as a friend and that was it). We had a mutal high school friend with whom we both kept in contact with over the years. My future wife and our best friend were roommates in college and we partied together, went clubbing, etc(mind you still just as friends). I moved away and met someone, got married, etc. After about 6 years of that we divorced. I continued to move around the state(job related) for about 5 more years. Then I made the decision to make contact with our best friend(not my future wife) and see how life was, etc. Katherine(our friend) and I decided to meet on Valentine's Day 2005 at a pub and get caught up on old times. Out of the blue she asked me if I wouldn't mind our friend Jeanie to come along(Katherine knew I always had a crush on Jeanie). So we all met up and WHAM! Jeanie saw me and I saw her and we both knew we wanted to take it somewhere, just not sure where..ha! After about 5 hours of eating, drinking, and talking, we went our seperate ways(I gave Jeanie an extended hug) and we left. Before I got away though Jeanie came up to me to make plans for next weekend and we have been together ever since. We married the following year. She is my best friend and my life. I never got over my feelings, and I am glad I didn't......

Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
So we all met up and WHAM! Jeanie saw me and I saw her and we both knew we wanted to take it somewhere, just not sure where..ha! After about 5 hours of eating, drinking, and talking, we went our seperate ways(I gave Jeanie an extended hug) and we left. Before I got away though Jeanie came up to me to make plans for next weekend and we have been together ever since. We married the following year. She is my best friend and my life. I never got over my feelings, and I am glad I didn't......
I'm always curious about such stories as I can't quite relate to them... What was different the last time you met?

Old 03-18-2011, 12:36 PM

199 posts, read 490,830 times
I hope your not trying to avoid the shy guy from the other thread you made lol.

But to answer your question, I think I am a little weird when it comes to crushes. They don't ever 100% disappear for me unless the person does something that is a COMPLETE turn-off that completely kills the crush. The intensity of the crush dies down a lot during time if I don't see the person, but the next time of just seing the girl in person the intensity of the crush increases again. I know some girls Ive had crushes on when I was in my earlier years of High School and currently feel pretty much nothing for them now and don't really think about them, but I bet if I were to somehow bump into them it will spark again.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:40 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
I still think fondly of a boy I dated 32 years ago. I "got over" him but it's still something that pops into my head from time to time

Old 03-18-2011, 05:57 PM

86 posts, read 428,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasWritten View Post
I hope your not trying to avoid the shy guy from the other thread you made lol.

But to answer your question, I think I am a little weird when it comes to crushes. They don't ever 100% disappear for me unless the person does something that is a COMPLETE turn-off that completely kills the crush. The intensity of the crush dies down a lot during time if I don't see the person, but the next time of just seing the girl in person the intensity of the crush increases again. I know some girls Ive had crushes on when I was in my earlier years of High School and currently feel pretty much nothing for them now and don't really think about them, but I bet if I were to somehow bump into them it will spark again.

lol... you have found my new thread! .. and yet again it is about the same shy guy.. (but yes... I still know that i probably need to be the one who needs to make the first move) ... But I guess my new dilemma that i have is that I am going away to a conference for about 2 weeks so I wont be able to go out to our weekly hang out (with our group of friends)... and since it is tax season alot of my friends/co-workers are too busy for the weekly meet up so.. Im wont be able to see that same "shy guy" as often as I normally would until probably within a month or so (after tax season ends)..

so I guess my dilemma is that even though I still have a crush on him, and I think that the feeling is mutual.. Im just afraid that with our little face time that we will have within the next few weeks, will cause our feelings to disappear.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:54 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,778,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm always curious about such stories as I can't quite relate to them... What was different the last time you met?

We were different people. We were better suited for each other as we had grown up alot. Also, all that time had allowed us to see what was most important in another person. We felt and still feel that we had the best of both words....the security of being with an old friend, with the newness of being with someone you never knew in a physical way. We can relate to each other much better than we ever could with anyone else.....

Old 03-19-2011, 05:23 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeerioS View Post
If you had feelings for someone and havent seen them for awhile, how soon will you get over them?
I feel like you need that constant interaction or face time to get the fliration/attraction going if the feelings are mutual. But if you havent seen the person you like in a while, how long would it take before those initial feelings/attraction disappears? (and you arent communicating any other way, whether it be texting, emailing or facebook etc).

So would it take a couple of days (2-3 days), a week, 2 weeks or a month of not seeing one another before your move on? ... so how long of not seeing that individual would it take before that attraction disappears?
It depends on the depth of your feelings. It can take several years or a lifetime if it was someone you, truely, loved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships