Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 09:02 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Agree with that. I even like Scrabble now and then, fried with eggs BUT I was really surprised that most Hawaiians eat spam on a daily basis.
That is pretty surprising.

I thought Hawaiians were supposed to be all about natural living, too. There's another stereotype shot to hell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:23 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,684,208 times
From what I know about Hawaii and Spam ,it all started during WW2. It was introduced by american soldiers and as it was a safe, portable meat ,that kept well it became popular. Think about how much harder it may have been to get fresh meat on an island like Hawaii during wartime.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:28 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,755,761 times
I'm a Christian from the bible belt, but:

*I don't describe myself as "born-again" or "saved"
*I don't take literally everything the bible says has happened--sometimes a story just makes a really good point and there is much to be learned from it
*I don't believe that you can buy your way into heaven with your good deeds but I do believe that if you're a Christian you should live like one every day, not just Sunday
*I don't believe that everyone whose lifestyle displeases me is going to hell
*I don't believe that gays are worse sinners than anyone else
*I'm a liberal and believe that it's extremely important to take care of the environment and don't believe that God gave us the option to trash it up when he gave us dominion over the earth and the animals
*I love Christian music but listen to many other kinds--I could never limit myself like that
*If there is a sin that is worse than any other, in my book it would have to be hypocrisy--one that many Christians are guilty of--it's the one I work hardest at weeding out of my life because we're all guilty of it
*I believe that all faiths share a portion of the Truth and none of them have it all

Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,812,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

*I don't take literally everything the bible says has happened--sometimes a story just makes a really good point and there is much to be learned from it
*I don't believe that you can buy your way into heaven with your good deeds but I do believe that if you're a Christian you should live like one every day, not just Sunday
*I'm a liberal and believe that it's extremely important to take care of the environment and don't believe that God gave us the option to trash it up when he gave us dominion over the earth and the animals
*I love Christian music but listen to many other kinds--I could never limit myself like that
*If there is a sin that is worse than any other, in my book it would have to be hypocrisy--one that many Christians are guilty of--it's the one I work hardest at weeding out of my life because we're all guilty of it
*I believe that all faiths share a portion of the Truth and none of them have it all
I've actually met plenty of Christians over the course of my life who have a similar outlook to yours. I wish more of you guys got airtime than the ones who say everyone's going to hell...

Old 03-20-2011, 09:51 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,465,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

I've never meet a Christian like yourself and wish there were others like you. I say to my kids to watch out for people that say they are Christian. Every person that I've meet that says they are a Christian is a bad person. They are the worse in lying, cheating and stealing.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:15 AM

334 posts, read 527,997 times
Quote:
I've never meet a Christian like yourself and wish there were others like you. I say to my kids to watch out for people that say they are Christian. Every person that I've meet that says they are a Christian is a bad person. They are the worse in lying, cheating and stealing.
There ARE others like her.

There was only one line in her list that didn't describe me accurately and that was the first one. I do describe myself as "saved."

All the other stuff she listed, I agree with completely and describes me (and most of my friends and church family) to a tee.

And as for you teaching your children to be biased about Christians, please be sure to let them know that not everyone who believes in Christianity is a Christian. Being a Christian means you follow Christ and strive to live like He did.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is pretty surprising.

I thought Hawaiians were supposed to be all about natural living, too. There's another stereotype shot to hell!
Me too! I told my Hawaiian classmate that I thought they ate plenty of pineapples and other veggies and fruits. She just laughed and said, No, they eat spam like every day. She also said that Hawaii was the #1 buyer of spam.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe404 View Post
There ARE others like her.

There was only one line in her list that didn't describe me accurately and that was the first one. I do describe myself as "saved."

All the other stuff she listed, I agree with completely and describes me (and most of my friends and church family) to a tee.

And as for you teaching your children to be biased about Christians, please be sure to let them know that not everyone who believes in Christianity is a Christian. Being a Christian means you follow Christ and strive to live like He did.
My kids were teenagers or older when I told them how I felt about Christians and I say it in a kidding way. So there is no dislike for Christians for myself or my kids.

I will say, though, I still have not found people that say they are good Christians or good Catholics to be that. All that I've meet are very judgmental.

I and my kids live by the Golden Rule and I read and practice from different religions.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:25 AM

52,007 posts, read 52,457,444 times
Quote:
My kids were teenagers or older when I told them how I felt about Christians and I say it in a kidding way. So there is no dislike for Christians for myself or my kids.

I will say, though, I still have not found people that say they are good Christians or good Catholics to be that. All that I've meet are very judgmental.

I and my kids live by the Golden Rule and I read and practice from different religions.
I'm not a "Christian"

I live my life more "Christian" than a lot of people that I know that are formally affiliated with Jesus.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not a "Christian"

I live my life more "Christian" than a lot of people that I know that are formally affiliated with Jesus.
Amen to that! So do I!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships