U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:20 PM

3,277 posts, read 10,384,035 times

Advertisements

So, I've been dating this guy for almost seven months. Things have been going great so far, or so I thought. Last weekend he had a very rough weekend with his family (tons of issues and bad history) and came back extremely upset. He broke a date on Monday, saying he needed some alone time to think and deal with this "existential crisis" that had developed. Yup, on Friday he came over and dumped me, saying that he has issues to work through, doesn't want to hurt me (more), yadda yadda yadda. Needless to say, I've been very upset. He said he wanted to be friends, which I agreed to, though usually when I'm told this it means that I might see the dude once in a blue moon. This one actually does seem to want to keep talking to me, and admittedly I haven't been much of a picnic to converse with these past few days so I'm surprised he's still making contact.

Anyway, I mentioned yesterday that something on my porch is broken and I don't know how to fix it. He offered to help, which I accepted, but then again this is one of several offers he's made for various things over the past few months and never got around to. Now he's insisting on coming Wednesday to fix it, despite bad weather.

Is he just feeling guilty or something? I told him it's not a big deal and it can wait, but he's being adamant. I've just never had a guy dump me and stick around before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,188,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
So, I've been dating this guy for almost seven months. Things have been going great so far, or so I thought. Last weekend he had a very rough weekend with his family (tons of issues and bad history) and came back extremely upset. He broke a date on Monday, saying he needed some alone time to think and deal with this "existential crisis" that had developed. Yup, on Friday he came over and dumped me, saying that he has issues to work through, doesn't want to hurt me (more), yadda yadda yadda. Needless to say, I've been very upset. He said he wanted to be friends, which I agreed to, though usually when I'm told this it means that I might see the dude once in a blue moon. This one actually does seem to want to keep talking to me, and admittedly I haven't been much of a picnic to converse with these past few days so I'm surprised he's still making contact.

Anyway, I mentioned yesterday that something on my porch is broken and I don't know how to fix it. He offered to help, which I accepted, but then again this is one of several offers he's made for various things over the past few months and never got around to. Now he's insisting on coming Wednesday to fix it, despite bad weather.

Is he just feeling guilty or something? I told him it's not a big deal and it can wait, but he's being adamant. I've just never had a guy dump me and stick around before.
He sounds truly conflicted. He must really like you as a person and hated having to hurt you by breaking up. It is your choice to remain friends with him, so do that if you want.

But most people need a real break from each other of at least as long as they were together before they can really attempt to be friends.

He sounds like a loose cannon to me and you may have just dodged a big bullet with this breakup. Family issues are huge red flags sometimes.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM

3,277 posts, read 10,384,035 times
Thanks! This past weekend I've admittedly been clinging on to the contact, which I know isn't good. I don't want to lose him completely, as I would at least like to try and be friends, but I do plan to try and but some distance between us for a little while.

And yes, as upset as I am I know that this was for the best. He unfortunately wasn't as stable as I thought he was, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:59 PM

16,752 posts, read 18,958,149 times
This has the sound of something that isn't going to end well...

Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 AM

16,227 posts, read 22,015,609 times
Yes, I would tell him not to worry about fixing anything up. Tell him to take this time to work out his issues with his family, etc.
I might have even thrown in there somewhere to "call me sometime, if you ever wanna vent." Or not....

Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 AM

12,461 posts, read 14,607,415 times
Wow!, most people who have " a rough weekend with his family" and come back extremely upset, are usually very happy to have a friend they can confide in for support..I guess you're not that friend, it's kinda wierd to me that you've been demoted from girlfriend to just friend....strange

Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,463,027 times
I think I would have told him we need to take a break from each other and for him to sort out his feelings about his family. I don't know if I'd want him around anymore. For him to dump me because of family issues, there's a bigger problem there. I think you dodged a bullet and I'd start tapering off on seeing him.

Usually you want a gf closer to you after a family crisis not demoting them to friends. Kind of makes me wonder if they said anything about you.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:13 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,878,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Wow!, most people who have " a rough weekend with his family" and come back extremely upset, are usually very happy to have a friend they can confide in for support..I guess you're not that friend, it's kinda wierd to me that you've been demoted from girlfriend to just friend....strange
sometimes people have family stuff they just have to take care of without the complications a girlfriend can bring to the picture. but i would say if he was really seriously in love with her he'd want her around for support. possibly he's using the family crisis as an excuse to break up with her.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:45 AM

11,422 posts, read 12,696,988 times
Maybe his family really made him realize he doesn't want to carry on this sort of offspring.

Coming home to a girlfriend who could actually carry on a gene pool such as his family must have scared the living tar out of him.

Just a thought...

Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 PM

24,671 posts, read 55,728,940 times
The only thing "wrong" with this relationship is the obvious lack of real communication between the parties involved. Seems to be the main problem where the majority of relationship dilemmas are concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships