Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: (repeat of the title )
Yes 14 38.89%
No 13 36.11%
Unsure/Depends... 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 12:31 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times

Advertisements

[quote=ColdCanadian;1159576] Are you talking single meaning "unmarried" but in a relationship?

Yours fell apart working 2 and 2? Rough... [quote]

Yes either with a GF or married. It's a little rough on both parties. At least up here. Personally I became a guest in my own home for the 2 weeks I was there. She eventually started cheating and got caught. Guess 2 weeks gone was too much for her. I work with a hundred guys that had the same experience. It might be just an Alaskan thing I don't know. But the oilfeild here takes a heavy toll on marriages. Occasionally I hear women say it would be a good thing for the man to be gone 2 weeks. Gives them space and would make for joyous reunions, and time well spent when together. But...I've never heard that from an Alaskan woman! Always an out of stater. Ladies must be different down that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 06:57 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Default Take the position

I would say, do what fits your life best now, worry about the other part later...if the job makes you happy and you want it, go for it. It may lead you to the other part (a relationship with someone-marriage) and you'll have a great opporunity to meet a lot of people, share an awful lot of experience...
If you meet someone whom with you'd like to spend the rest of your life with, you can always change careers...opportunities are always there....

Thats just my take?

Old 06-07-2009, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,286 times
My husband has been going away for 12 years now. It was fine at first as we didn't have children and I could carry on with my social and work life as per normal. When the children arrived, things changed and there are commitments that must be met now which has essentially 'trapped' me in my home as I am the sole carer when he is away and must be available for school and sicknesses, which limits my job choices, whilst my husband continues to work in a position that suits him, despite being offered other jobs in the company which would suit the family. When my husband returns from being away, golf clubs in hand, and promptly falls asleep from the exhaustion of going out to dinner and drinking with the boys and then doesn't take the children from me to give me a break, even though I may have been living on a couple hours sleep per night because the kids have croup or something, or when I hear he won't have bacon and eggs because he is sick of it after I have struggled to manage a piece of toast in the morning running around with the kids, I could walk out the door. My husband simply cannot make it home for special occasions, although he can return home to play his sporting games and then drive back. He has never seen a school performance. He does not help around the house becuase 'he works', which so do I. I think it makes for a selfish husband who never learns responsibilities, a resentful wife and who knows the affect on the kids. It also makes the husband less tolerant of his childrens' behaviours. My opinion, it doesn't work unless the wife is willing to sacrifice her life, the only thing the wife gets out of it is a bag of dirty laundry upon their return. Probably when the children are older and self sufficient, it will work again, but not at this stage in their lives. I am essentially a single mother, without the benefits.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:34 PM

158 posts, read 604,711 times
No way. I got married to spend my life with my husband, not half with him and half alone.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:40 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
I voted yes, but since I'm in the Military. I'd be the one away. I'm away from my wife right now. I'm at recruiter's school for 7 weeks in San Diego. Prior to that I was in Quantico by myself for 7 months while she was in NC, though almost every weekend either I'd drive down to NC or she'd come up to VA. Plus there was leave and holidays in that 7 months when I was home for a week or 2 at a time. I was in Iraq for about 7 months, as well. Speaking of 7, I'll have been married for 7 years in July (which is also the 7 months of the year).

I hear recruiting duty can be just like being gone, if the numbers aren't being met, where you never see your house except to sleep, and some nights you're sleeping in the office, but Marine recruiting is doing awesome right now where most stations make mission by the 15th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships