Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:54 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,913,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I don't complain about my height. God gifted me with a 5'6 frame and I'm basically built like a truck. I'm proud and the women I've been with have been pleased
See? See??? (pointing at Prince_Frog) This is it, guys! This is how a not-hugely-tall guy is awesome. Watch and learn, Padawans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 02:20 PM

478 posts, read 806,910 times
I feel that I can comment on this coming from the opposite perspective. I'm around 6'6", and am pretty touchy about the subject.

People on either extreme of the height spectrum make a big deal about it because it influences our lives quite profoundly. When I enter a room, complete strangers will stare and point literally. I have been described in a number of very unflattering ways because of my height, and constantly have other guys coming up to me, joking about it, comparing themselves with me or their second cousin or whomever, etc.

This leaves out the issues involved with finding clothes, fitting in public transportation and cruise ship rooms.

I'm sure that very short people deal with numerous offensive comments and reactions. They also probably have a laundry list of physical inconveniences that people of normal height would never even think of.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:44 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,228,908 times
There really is some height bias out there when it comes to dating. More than a few times I've been told by girls "You're very cute & have a great personality, but...I'm taller than you in heels."

Same thing happens with extremely tall women, like 6'2" or above. Many guys will think they're Amazon women or ogres.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:48 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,959,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
See? See??? (pointing at Prince_Frog) This is it, guys! This is how a not-hugely-tall guy is awesome. Watch and learn, Padawans.
Don't get me wrong, I get rejected by women because of my height all the time anymore. I'm still not afraid to approach women and talk to them to ask them out.

Why should I be upset or freak out about something that I simply cannot change? If God wanted me to be 6'2 then I would be a 6'2 male. Instead I'm 5'6 with a personality and many talents. I am not afraid of tall women, but they should swoon over me.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:09 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,613,970 times
The real reason some guys are so hung up on their height is because it saves them from having to take responsibility. For example, if someone rejects you because you said something offensive, then it's obviously your fault. But if they reject you because you're too short, you can at least take comfort in knowing that there was nothing you could've done differently. It's also allows you to criticize the person who rejected you. People would much rather find fault with someone else than the person they see in the mirror. So it's really about coping with rejection and avoiding responsibility for your own actions.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:22 PM

782 posts, read 1,084,398 times
I dated one woman who said I was too tall. I'm 6'-1". She said she was only 5-1, but I thought she was 5-3. She didn't like bending her neck. We dated for 2 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships