Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:44 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times

Advertisements

Normal by whose definition? I can think of at least few women I know who had never seen a botox needle or a cosmetic knife in their lives, and yet they are as far from normal as you can get.

Normal is relative, and as far I'm concerned - boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 10:32 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
- not having undergone plastic surgery

- not getting Botox and various other expensive treatments constantly

Actually, many of these foreign actors probably CAN afford all the fakeness, but they prefer to look like normal people ...
Absolutely the truth. Since I have moved to the UK I have noticed a huge difference in what is on the TV and movie screen - most celebrities here look like regular people. I love it!! Check this out: the actual poster for the same movie in the UK (what she really looks like in all her natural glory) and the one that was released for the USA (after they slimmed her stomach and arms, boosted her boobs and got rid of eye bags). Quite an eye-opener.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...oster-left.jpg

Old 03-26-2011, 11:29 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Wow Her entire head seems smaller somehow. These days one just can't trust images anymore, thank you Photoshop.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:55 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Wow, thooe images are scary. We need to stop letting ourselves and our children be brainwashed by American media.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:30 PM

220 posts, read 595,493 times
Kudos to the OP for recognizing the imperfect perfections of us "normal" ladies

I would consider myself to be "normal" on a regular day when I'm just running errands. But I do love to play "dress up" and look my best when I go out to social gatherings. I get approached in both instances, but the funny thing is, I always seem to appreciate the guys who approach me on my "normal" days more than those who approach me when I'm dressed up.

IMO, true beauty comes from within. Exterior beauty is just the icing, NOT the cake.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 AM

In Britain the consumer protection agency has now banned cosmetics ads featuring Julia Roberts because of excessive airbrushing

The World Today - Cosmetic company ads banned for airbrushing 28/07/2011

Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
In my single days my buddies and I were most impressed with women who looked good in sweats, a T-shirt, and no make up. And if she was warm and friendly on top of that, you knew you had a winner.
/thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:41 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
May sound strange, but I have noticed time and again that normal women are somehow more interesting and cuter than all those divas with their perfect faces and bodies. I live in a very down-to-earth region of a rather poor country. Women here often smell of the lunch they have prepared instead of Chanel #5. One woman working at a supermarket here has amazing canines, almost a bit like Dracula, but when she smiles she is just so cute Other women have soft hair on their forearms, and it doesn't matter at all somehow. Many have excess pounds, but don't seem to bother. They are who they are and don't try to be anything else.

When I watch one of those TV series from the capital it often strikes me how different those women there are, both in terms of looks and what kind of woman they promote. I had such a girlfriend a long time ago, and it was over pretty fast, there was just no real connection. Just smelling her perfume was so sterile somehow.

So, what's more appealing, the natural or the metropolitan type?
You live in Portugal, right? It's amazing that I find Portuguese women (or their American descendants/relatives) incredibly sexy, and some of the women I have found the most attractive are not really that conventionally beautiful. They're just the type of women who are very comfortable being exactly who they are.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You live in Portugal, right? It's amazing that I find Portuguese women (or their American descendants/relatives) incredibly sexy, and some of the women I have found the most attractive are not really that conventionally beautiful. They're just the type of women who are very comfortable being exactly who they are.
Definitely, especially here in the south That is one reason I am still here, modern Portuguese girls and women are very beautiful in a natural way

Now in the summer when you go to one of those beaches where locals rather than tourists hang out, you almost feel like being in Brazil

Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Absolutely the truth. Since I have moved to the UK I have noticed a huge difference in what is on the TV and movie screen - most celebrities here look like regular people. I love it!! Check this out: the actual poster for the same movie in the UK (what she really looks like in all her natural glory) and the one that was released for the USA (after they slimmed her stomach and arms, boosted her boobs and got rid of eye bags). Quite an eye-opener.
They also pulled her stomach in and darkened the material around it into shadow to make her seem slimmer. Look at the tassels above the hilt of her sword, at the bottom of the pictures, and you can see where the designer clicked and dragged.

Regardless, no amount of Photoshopping could have made that movie appealing. Definitely not her best work.

Not for nothing, but I see why they enhanced her chest. One of the rules of acting is not to have a physique that distracts from the performance. In the U.S., being that flat-chested would be distracting. In fact, I'd wager that her chest, and not the movie, would become the focal point of the poster had it not been retouched. "OMG, I didn't know she was a carpenter's dream!"

Not making a political or body-hatred statement. Just saying I can see why they did it for U.S. markets.

Last edited by Yzette; 07-28-2011 at 10:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships